• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Silver Blades Ice Rink

can anyone tell me what ever happend to anna hatcher also does anyone remember or did the sponsored bike ride to lichfield and back to the blades???????

hia rupertbear, I cant say Ive seen anna h for many years but Ive seen Tom Hatcher within the last 10 years and they were ok then. as of the bike ride i organised it with Kevin Dawson and a few others,wastnt as easy as we thought we had to get police involved , also as I remember,It was Anna Hatcher that ran into something at one of the rest stops on a hill going into Lichfield on A38,hope this helps,

hi brianb, what a day the bike ride was ,do you remember the 2 gorillas on the tandom, with bananas all over it ??????????? if so you will know me i was the one on the front and troy was on the back . up untill 6 months ago i still had the photos of the day but i think i dumped them.:( as for anna i started going out with her the day after the party ,we had when the money we raised was handed to the i think the bishop of birmingham??? well i was drunk and cannot remember a lot ,:sick:lol:)

my tour of duty as a dj started in 1971 and was very happy when asked to return after the closer in 1989. it all started up again 1996/7 and was asked to help having had the experience of so many years working for mecca, i loved it and was then asked to carry on with what became a five year stay until the fire. some of you will remember my friday eve session being coach party night it was rammed as all the early days used to be, also sat eve sun afternoon oh and my speed sessions are still record breakingly long ron hargreaves went mad but as long as i played keep on running for ralph (asst manager) i got away with it, only just, oh and by the way i think i remember most of you and i like to no how many remember the sending off the ice for speeding rule, this would range from between 10 and 30 mins, it would be " red jumper far side yes you see you in 20 mins" pete roberts loved the power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kingy.

So did i. 1963 ( I think. ) I have a Photo with the new manager and 4 of us figure skaters I will get it on soon.

Re: Skaters

Moma P, Two of my cousins Skated at Silver Blades they both won medals and cups, names Maxine and Eileen they look like two of the skaters in your photograph but i cannot be 100 pc sure...Cat:)
Maxine Jolly? I remember her. Wendy Moore-Orton

Name Game: Ok Brian B. (Crispie) lets see how you do, Your starter for ten is: 'People from Silver Blades Ice Rink 1965 - 1980' You get a point for everyone you remember (N.B. any with 1st & surname are in the public domain, on the web already or people I know personally) starting from the top, Ron Hargreaves GM (Grandad), Kevin catering manager & Bernie (cash desk, skate shop) Duncan Gumley Temp catering manager. Snr Steward Keith & girlfriend Carol, ast' Head Steward Pat - married Viv Marlow (head of the Metcalfe mafia incl: Tom 'the barrell jumper, sisters Pauline & Anne and that 'pain-in-the b**t' kid brother Brian). Gerry M, brothers Ronnie & Neville T, Pauline 'L' and 'make your mind up' Keith, Judy savage, Leslie 'R' and her kid sister with best friend Rachel & Sue. Bernard (never Bernie) the Instructor, Big Ron as well as Big Les, Lynne pemberton & her pals Mandy & Wendy + speedskater bro John, Clive Pass, Bob Gill, Corrinne Price & her pal Pam (those black 'spray on shorts' !!!!!) Graham Andrews, Tony Wemm, Ian Cooper ('Penny Black' & Ian are playing still) Keith Dunford, Chrissie Thomas/Badger, Mick the engineer (what was his surname, mates for 10 yrs and can't remember ??), Angela Moss, Bob Griffith, Dave Cox, Deidre Alexander, Cheryl Bolger, Sylvia Broadmore, Carol Comptom, Julie davies, Pam Tierney, Maxine barnes/Simpsom, Margaret Kenny, Gary Smalley, Dianne Jackson, Margaret reid, Mary Hollis, Dawn Bosworth/Perry, Jill Welsh, David Pugh, Jackie Wheet, Bernard reeves, Dave Roberts, Christine Broome/Rose, John Duckworth, Johnnie Morris (no, not Animal magic, he was the weekend chef in the restaurant) and last but not least George 'The Nigh....chman' by the way wasn't the DJ George ?

Ok Brian, I know you know every name on the list but it might be a good memory jogger for the rest of the bloggers

N.B. my memory isn't that good, half this list was 'nicked' from the Friends reunited 'Silver Blades' site, worth a look for anyone here who hasn't seen it, unfortunately no pics, cant believe of all the people and all the events in 'rusties' over the years = no pics, mind you, went there myself for 20 years and don't have a single snap, so can't complain, maybe we don't need photos, we keep the feeling not the mage.

If anyone wants to add additional names / memories to the list feel free.

still see the duck [john duckworth] we meet up every year with a drink or two at xmas also meet up with lots of mohawk skaters and supporters
ken

Johnnie Morris was my best pal back in the 50s/60s we use to skate together for the BIRMINGHAM BARONS ICE HOCKEY CLUB & THE SOLIHULL VIKINGS.
Can you tell me is this the John Morris you speak of?

johnnie morris was my best pal back in the 50s/60s we use to skate together for the birmingham barons ice hockey club & the solihull vikings.
Can you tell me is this the john morris you speak of?

no. I'm talking about john duckworth [the duck]

are you researching dave hampton ?

Ken sealey

No Ken, I just thought that the John Morris you say was the weekend chef may have been the John Morris that I knew back then.
"Johnnie Morris (no, not Animal magic, he was the weekend chef in the restaurant)"

I see you are researching the name hampton
is this to do with skating or family

Hi Baron going back to the photo with your wife and yourself on was the other young lady Marion Hardwick?. She looks so like someone I knew years ago. Jean.

Jean the Blonde was my girlfriend (later my wife) the other girl I can only remember her first name which I think was Janett.

Hi Baron, the original post with the names was mine, 'Brimar' & yes the Johnnie Morris is the same person, a good friend of my brother Pat (Kneeling directly in front of John in the cresta photo). I first met john at our house, where the gang collected before going to the away games and later when he got me a weekend job at 'Rusties', John was the sunday lunch restaurant chef (my boss) under catering manager Kevin = 67'ish. my brother pat was the blades deputy head steward & ran between solihull (sport) & rusties (social). I remember John had a very swish appartment in an exclusive 'Art Deco' style building, not sure where but I think it might have been somewhere like Edgbaston ?. Regards, Brian. (N.B. thanks for the photo, have very few of Pat & i'm sure you know the history).

Hi are you also brother to TOM Metcalf ? PAT Brother, if so TOM would remember me VIKINGS CLUB Sec Keith Jenney.

Last edited:
Brian, was John still married at that time to Liz? as he used to live in an appartment just of the Soho road when we first met, which sounds just like the one you say you went to.
Johns cousin was a PLOTNIC'S? (the elec shop on the Hampsted Rd).
You do not know were John is or how he can be contacted? Would love to know how he is after all these years.

Yep to both, Tom is well, saw him on saturday at Mom's 90th birthday party (moms still going strong and still claims none of her out-of-line sons are to feckin big to get a clout - all of 5 foot nothing and just as contrary) remember the vikings well, trained with them on the thursday late session (Goalminder & right wing = being a 'Leftie') only ever played one league game against Richmond but had a 'shut-out', was even more impressed when someone explained what it meant !! It all went back to the Barons just after that and got very commercial, from the top of my head immediate team guys were Keith Dumford, Micky Ozane, Art Ambroze, John Price, Mick Commander et al. I remember Liz when I was a kid visiting with Pat but don't remember her when I worked with John at the rink ?? Not sure what happened to john, you might ask BrianB (He is probably longest serving at rink) or I can ask around, still in touch with Bob Gill and most of the solihull crowd, will post if I hear anything. regards, Brian.

Brian, I have named the ones I remember, can you add any,if I looked in my records that are in my loft I would be able to get them but as my loft is full to the rafters it would take a month of sundays to find.
any help would be appreciated, may be Tom knows?
Regards Keith THE BARON (ASTON )

Last edited:
Hello all.
Anyone use the Silver Blades 1970 - 1973?
If so, anyone remember Spud (Michael Yeomans)?
Love to hear from you.

Hi Spud,

There is another 'Silver Blades Ice Rink' thread. Put silver blades in the search box at the top of the page.

Ann

Hello all.
I used the Silver Blades 1970 - 1973.
Anyone remember Spud (Michael Yeomans)?
Be good to hear from you.

I went to the Blades from around 1968 to 1973.Worked in skatehire Sunday mornings & Thursday evenings.Skated whenever i could,mostly Friday,Saturday & Sunday nights.So many good times,so many great people.The guys I hung with most were Tony Bull,Paul Hough,Chris Kavenar.The old memory is fading but others I recall are Tom Litchfield & his sister,Brian Bacon,Gerry Morgan,Pete & Eddie the DJ's,Kevin From the restaurant,Pam Burgess,Christine Rose,Sue Ryder,Sue Thompson,so many others who's faces i remember,but can no longer put names to.If anyone out there recalls me please get in touch.

I used to go to the Silver Blades five nights a week in the late sixties/early seventies and knew Sue Ryder (and her brother) Judy Savage and Pauline Lloyd, Brian Bacon, Jerry Morgan. So may names I cannot remember (in 1968 I was 14 and joined the Mohawks). I also remember 'Big Les' (he had a locker in the Club Room, between the bar and the cafertiria) My great friend was Shirley Yeates (Yates?) and would really love to contact her. Stuart P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness someone else remembers Big Les, I was starting to think I'd made it up or dreamt it!!. I'd mentioned it a few times on this thread & no-one seemed to mention him........I can see him now, very clearly in my mind in his rusty red jumper skating towards us to spray us with ice!! He taught us teenagers how to do it.....that made us really popular as you can imagine!lol

Hello Wendy

Its been an awfully long time, but the man on the left looks familiar (and the woman with him). Was he at one time a steward on the ice? (Trevor?) The partial view of the girl sitting on the barrel, she looks very familiar (even though I can only see a leg and an arm, it looks like my friend Shirley). Have you any more photo's?
I think you may be a little older than me. Do you remember Clive Pass?

I used to speak to Les quite a lot and remember he used to skate on 'cut-down' speed skates and he made a really good job (of cutting them down). I also remember of him having a 'fit' in the Club Room and when he recovered, he said "that's better" and carried on as if nothing had happened.

I'm mainly in the old Springhill Ice Rink thread, but skated and raced at Silver Blades. Here is a pic of what a Silver Blades Ice Rink looked like with ice. We helped Mecca to open some in other cities. They were all built generally with the same design. The race pictured was a relay race and believe the skater in the centre with his hands on his knees was Ken Pendry and the skater holding his wrist was Dave Boddington.
oldmohawk

Bristol_Ice__Opening_1966.jpg

Back