• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Hi Rupertbear, I worked in the skate hire with Clive and Mick trained me on the Zamboni and then he took i another job. as for hockey i remember a russ but i dont remember he's girlfriend. Did russ play at solihull? I played at silver blades on the Birmingham Eagles 87/88 and ice ball was late 85/86 then i left for the U.S in 88.Good,Good,Good years :) I was shocked when Mecca closed it down the first time. And then when it reopened i got call over here to see if would be interested in going back to brum to have my old job back, but i did not know anything about the new owners so i said no (that was hard) and then i heard it closed down again. I hope one day it can be reopen and stay open and then next time i come home i can go back and skate. Now that would bring back alot of memories.

Does anyone remember big Les from the 70's.........he spent most of his time at the rink. He'd rush up to you, stop suddenly & then spray you with ice!!:D He used to have lots of fits bless him. He was sooooo agile on his feet......wonder what happened to him?

Hi Rupertbear, I worked in the skate hire with Clive and Mick trained me on the Zamboni and then he took i another job. as for hockey i remember a russ but i dont remember he's girlfriend. Did russ play at solihull? I played at silver blades on the Birmingham Eagles 87/88 and ice ball was late 85/86 then i left for the U.S in 88.Good,Good,Good years :) I was shocked when Mecca closed it down the first time. And then when it reopened i got call over here to see if would be interested in going back to brum to have my old job back, but i did not know anything about the new owners so i said no (that was hard) and then i heard it closed down again. I hope one day it can be reopen and stay open and then next time i come home i can go back and skate. Now that would bring back alot of memories.
hi paul ,russ played for the eagles in the early 80s , the last time i was in the blades was late 84/

hi jillian atkins do you know a rita atkins i have some photo,s of her in the 60s, myself i know a john atkins from st martins flats 60s &70s, ok christy

Hi Christy, hello:) I don't know a Rita Atkins, but I do know a John Atkins who is my cousin. I haven't seen him for a while but If I remember rightly he lived in Great Barr. He has a brother Trevor and two sisters Annette and Kay. Is it the same one? G:)

hi gillian, the john atkin,s i knew was long blond hair big build in his early 50,s now he was alway,s of to butlin,s in the 70,s he had an eye for the girl,s then, he came from highgate were i grow up at ST MARTIN,S FLAT,S he was about 3years older then me , i am sure rita atkins lived in the flats to not his mom maybe his aunt, thanks christy

hello my name is marcus i had many a happy days in the late 70s and 80s i also was in the mohawks love to hear from old mates thanks

i hung about with alan/ patrick/doulton/and 2 brothers 1 ithink was called john and the other i think was alan. many more but forgot names

Hi Marcus, I worked at the rink for alot of years before i moved to the U.S in 88. Just trying to found someone i knew or someone who knew me.

i used to go on a wednesday friday saturday day and evening and a sunday afternoon. we used to hang out at wimpeys which was turned into Mcdonalds. my nicknames were spring and zebady lol:D.

Hi marcus, I drove the zamboni at the rink. Do you remember iceball? I played on the team i also was a redcoat. I used to lang with Mikey, Roger, Glen, Clive, and a lot more. Talk soon.

So, do you remember Les then.....there must surely be someone around who remembers the man. We're talking late 1960s thru to the 1980s???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dolphie, What did les do at the rink and did he always go buy les? and when in the 80's talk soon :)

Hi Paul. Yep, Les was a really big guy.......I can see him now, usually wore a rust/red jumper. He was so incredibly light on his blades for such a big bloke. He had fits....several a day so used to hang around the rink as he felt safe there. If he felt one coming on, he used to head for anyone that knew him to help him. As he was so well known there they used to grab him off the ice before he hit the floor!! He was always there Tues & Thurs nights, Sunday mornings etc at the family sessions. He was forever stopping short right in front of you, spraying you with ice from his bladeslol. I eventually stopped going to Silver Blades (as I'd left Brum for Uni in the late 70s but always returned home for the hols) but my Mom still went right thru the 80's & to my knowledge he was still there then?? I often wonder what happened to him.

Dont think he actually 'did' anything, eg work there but I'm not sure.

Hi,iv only just found this thread!! I loved Silver Blades!! my cousin was a red coat in late 70s early 80s along with myself I was the youngest one ever!!i was only 12 years old!!!my cousins name was Melanie Gough?once i had taken mi hockeys off and was away to my locker and some big bird trod on my toe with her skate still on....boy did she get it outside!!!!:rolleyes:

Hi Marcus, I worked at the rink for alot of years before i moved to the U.S in 88. Just trying to found someone i knew or someone who knew me.
its ashame i would love to see all the old faces again was best years of my life

Back