• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bromsgrove Street 1907

Middlemore Child Emigration Homes often stated that the children were well prepared before being sent to Canada. But there seems to be several children that were sent after a very short time. Do you mind me asking if you know the time of arrival in Canada of the Great Grandmother ?
She and Charles departed on May 11, 1907.
Mary Ann was sent to Middlemore in November of 1907 and was sent in 1909 (i think)

It seems like the father Charles disappeared shortly after the November 1907 arrest. I'm not sure if he was imprisoned/deported/killed/died/ changed his name and left.

Mary Ann also seems like a mystery other than there was mention in my G-grandmothers exit form from Middlemore care around 1920, that her mother had wanted her to return to England and "work" with her, so its save to assume she was still alive at that point.

Every family has it's mystery but as more information becomes available hopefully they get solved. The 1921 census may shed some light on events, though I can't see Charles, Mary or John on the 1911 census.

There are a number of deaths listed under Mary A Robins/Robbins between 1911 & 1940 around Bham. None are particularly good matches age wise.

Every family has it's mystery but as more information becomes available hopefully they get solved. The 1921 census may shed some light on events, though I can't see Charles, Mary or John on the 1911 census.

There are a number of deaths listed under Mary A Robins/Robbins between 1911 & 1940 around Bham. None are particularly good matches age wise.
We didn't even have a last name confirmed (Dix) of Mary until both my mom and I did Ancestry DNA testing and noticed that was on only common denominator with a few matches, it was just possibly- so I've unlocked a lot of mysteries recently. But the more I unlock the more I have.

I wonder if Mary reverted back to using Dix at some point.

I think that is possible.

Her daughter Mabel is listed as living at 51 Aberdeen St and there is a Mary A Dix also living at 8 back 35 Aberdeen St though a few years earlier.

And there is a possible death for a Mary A Dix in 1934 of about the right age.

I think that is possible.

Her daughter Mabel is listed as living at 51 Aberdeen St and there is a Mary A Dix also living at 8 back 35 Aberdeen St though a few years earlier.

And there is a possible death for a Mary A Dix in 1934 of about the right age.
Was Mabel still using the last name of Robins?

And further developments. As well as her name being wrong on the 1901 census I think her age was wrong also. It appears to be listed as 33 but I think it may be 24.

The parents of the Mary Ann Dix born 1877 are James and Caroline, tying in with the name of her daughter.

Living with Mary at Aberdeen St from the 1920s is a John W Gidley but more relevant also there in 1957 is a Thomas Joseph Dix, who could be her nephew, the son of her brother John who had also moved to Bham from Cheltenham.

Does put a a doubt on the previous mentioned Mary A Dix death.

And further developments. As well as her name being wrong on the 1901 census I think her age was wrong also. It appears to be listed as 33 but I think it may be 24.

The parents of the Mary Ann Dix born 1877 are James and Caroline, tying in with the name of her daughter.

Living with Mary at Aberdeen St from the 1920s is a John W Gidley but more relevant also there in 1957 is a Thomas Joseph Dix, who could be her nephew, the son of her brother John who had also moved to Bham from Cheltenham.

That would make more sense, especially if Edward Dix (born in 1913) is her son...otherwise she would have been 45 which while not unheard of would be unlikely, putting the birth of Mabel at around 18, probably not unusual.

Looks like all of Mary's family moved to Bham. Mother, 2 sisters and a brother are living on Communication Row in 1901.

Caroline is still alive in 1911, living in Bham with her 2 (married) younger daughters.

And finally it is possible that Mary had another son, Enoch Thomas b1915. There is a birth registration for an Enoch Thomas Dix, mmn Robbins.

Seems too much of a coincidence for him not to be connected,

it looks like the initial on the Mary Dix in the 1950's voter list was a Mary H... maybe not the same one?

That Mary H appears to be Mary Harriet, the wife of Thomas Joseph Dix.

I suspect Mary A Dix (Robins) died before 1939, she doesn't appear on the 1939 register.

That Mary H appears to be Mary Harriet, the wife of Thomas Joseph Dix.

I suspect Mary A Dix (Robins) died before 1939, she doesn't appear on the 1939 register.
That makes sense. If only everyone didn't have the same name lol

it doesn't look like many of the kids that stayed in England had many children of their own, although I guess we are getting to where that wouldn't be documented in openly due to possibility of being still alive

John definitely had 3 sons and possibly 6 children in total. Edward as many as five children and Enoch (if he was Mary's son) had 2.

Mabel had none as mentioned and I'm not sure what happened to Florence.

John definitely had 3 sons and possibly 6 children in total. Edward as many as five children and Enoch (if he was Mary's son) had 2.

Mabel had none as mentioned and I'm not sure what happened to Florence.
You are like a research ninja. I can't get over how helpful you have been. Meanwhile I'm over here still trying to wrap my head around place names.

The more you do, the easier it becomes. I always find it surprising how much people moved about in the late 18th / early 19th century, even within their local area.

The more you do, the easier it becomes. I always find it surprising how much people moved about in the late 18th / early 19th century, even within their local area.
Meanwhile in Canada, I'm the first in my direct line since they left Scotland in the 1850's to leave from the community they docked at.

Probably why I'm having trouble tracing with the names and moving about. Please not understanding the city at all.

Below is a map of the relevant area of Birmingham from 1905. The detail is not the best but it gives a picture of the area.

I've marked certain roads and places...

Pink line - Bromsgrove St; pink spot - court 7 (I hope).

Orange line - Tennant St.

Green line - Communication Row (Mary's mom, Caroline, lived here in 1901 with 3 children).

Blue line - William St (Mary's brother, George, lived here in 1901).

Blue dot (towards top right) - St Jude's church.

Red dot (middle left) - Immanuel church.

From court 7 Bromsgrove St to Tennant St is about a mile.

Birmingham.jpg

Apart from George & Thomas, Mary seems to have had 4 other brothers - James, Joseph, William & John. James & John are in Bham in 1911 but can't see any of them on the 1901 census.

Below is a map of the relevant area of Birmingham from 1905. The detail is not the best but it gives a picture of the area.

I've marked certain roads and places...

Pink line - Bromsgrove St; pink spot - court 7 (I hope).

Orange line - Tennant St.

Green line - Communication Row (Mary's mom, Caroline, lived here in 1901 with 3 children).

Blue line - William St (Mary's brother, George, lived here in 1901).

Blue dot (towards top right) - St Jude's church.

Red dot (middle left) - Immanuel church.

From court 7 Bromsgrove St to Tennant St is about a mile.

View attachment 162490
This is very helpful! I'm stunned that it's only a mile! Its appears so densely populated and far apart! I'm assuming this would have been primarily working class/industrial areas?

Yes I would think so, lots of courts and back to back houses. You can see half New St station top right, beyond which would have been the city centre.

Not sure if you can make out Hurst St - it crosses Bromsgrove St to the left of the pink dot - but if you follow it up, you come to Inge St (first road) and on the corner there are some surviving back to back houses...

I don't imagine houses would have looked as clean and tidy in the late 18th century though.

Back