• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bromsgrove Street 1907

Well that shoots down one theory. But in 1911 Robert was at ? Blinkbonny, Tudor Hill. The name has Scottish connections ? Blinkbonny (meaning "nice view" in Norse)

He was a spectacle maker and employer. Did he have a premises somewhere in Birmingham ?

There appear to be a couple of adverts for a worker for Purdom and Boyd, Great Tindal St - 16 Nov 1916 Bham Mail is one.

There appear to be a couple of adverts for a worker for Purdom and Boyd, Great Tindal St - 16 Nov 1916 Bham Mail is one.
In January 1907 the extensive premises of Purdom and Boyd, Spectacle Makers was gutted by fire. Men and women employed about 150.

In January 1907 the extensive premises of Purdom and Boyd, Spectacle Makers was gutted by fire. Men and women employed about 150.
Maybe they worked there and that's what forced them (back?) into crime. Then they felt guilty - that's a fanciful story.
It's probably more random than that.

ok, another weird question. I got some documents from the Gov't of Canada that indicate Ellen's support/training and settlement in Canada were paid for by a Mrs. Robert Purdom.

From what I gather this was somewhat unusual to have donations directed specifically to a child unless there was some connection. It also looks like a Mr. Robert Purdom supported a Joesph Twells (I've not heard of this name before)
Any ideas who this Mr. & Mrs. Purdom may have been and if indeed there may have been a connection or just random philanthropy?

Out of interest the Middlemore sheet shows not only that Mrs Robert Purdom supported Ellen Robins, but above shows Robert supporting a Joseph Twells.

Last edited:
Out of interest the Middlemore sheet shows not only that that Mrs Robert Purdom supported Ellen Robins, but above shows Robert supporting a Joseph Twells.
Yes, an I have found no connection to the name Twells for the Robins family either, so I'm thinking its more random but it seems unusual.

In 1901 there was a Joseph Twells at ? 8/115 Devonshire Street, as a boarder with his widowed mother Rosina (29) and sister Maud (10). The head of the house was John Smith (34) plasterer.

Latest update!!! I have gotten Mary Ann (daughter's) file from Middlemore! there is a ton of information including handwritten letters from Charles Robbins Sr himself!!! It seems he did not pass away but did leave his wife. It sounds like he was living a pretty straight life (she was not) in 1921 and had written letters to stop Mary Ann from returning to live with is wife. He also mentions his daughter Florry - which I'm thinking is the missing Florance --- I'm so excited.

the final letter from him was in August 1933 - still inquiring about his daugher -stating he was doing bad - addresss was Mr. C. Robbins G.P.O Cheltenham

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_130213.jpg
    IMG_20211026_130213.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211026_130225.jpg
    IMG_20211026_130225.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 9
It's interesting that he had contact with Florence, since we also lost track of her. I wonder what transpired after she left industrial school and if he kept track of the other children. I would suspect the children after John were not his.

So many questions that I'll never have the answers to.

I wonder if John's descendants are still in the Bham area. It would be interesting if I could contact them.

Last edited:
I think this address says "The Union Swindon Road" Cheltenham? Does that make sense?

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_130300.jpg
    IMG_20211026_130300.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 6
A sad story...

"A new union workhouse was ertected in 1838-41 in part of the grounds of The Elms, an old mansion on Swindon Road at the north-west of Cheltenham. The location and layout of the workhouse buildings are shown on the 1903 map below."

CheltenhamMap1903-2500.gif

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you - so I was likely correct in translating the letter to read "I am here as I have been bad"
Although not sure if bad = in a bad way or sentenced to the workhouse.

It looks like they do have some records for the workhouse but I'm likely just a few years too soon too (and too far away) to view

I received Charles Jr's middlemoore file today -It appears by 1914 he was returned to Bham. He was likely suffering from what we know know as Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, as Ellen was a carrier of this gene which impacted many of her son's - it's passed from mother's to son's, females carry/pass on the gene and males are primarily impacted) and the descriptions of his symptoms in his file fit this assumption very well. He appeared to spend a small amount of time with with mother and then was placed in the Woodlands hospital for crippled children.
I think this was in bham? Does anyone have any advice where one could search for records from there?

So did Charles jnr stay in England or return to Canada?

And looking at John Gidley, I would speculate that Mary's 2 younger sons (Edward & Enoch) may be his. John Gidley's father was called Edward & he had a brother Enoch. No proof though.

And assuming that Charles snr would appear on the 1939 register if alive (can't see him) then his death would be somewhere between 1933 & 1939. I can only see one death that's close, registered Bedwellty, Monmouthshire. Though, I wouldn't be confident in that at all, too many variables.

So did Charles jnr stay in England or return to Canada?

And looking at John Gidley, I would speculate that Mary's 2 younger sons (Edward & Enoch) may be his. John Gidley's father was called Edward & he had a brother Enoch. No proof though.

And assuming that Charles snr would appear on the 1939 register if alive (can't see him) then his death would be somewhere between 1933 & 1939. I can only see one death that's close, registered Bedwellty, Monmouthshire. Though, I wouldn't be confident in that at all, too many variables.
I doubt charles jnr would have lived past 20 (which would be generous) the life expectancy until very recently was late teens (it's still only early 30's). He likely would have remained at Woodlands until he passed, as he would have gotten progressively worse until his respiratory muscles were involved, likely passing away from respiratory failure.

According to the the letter from Charles snr Mary was living with a man so that would make sense the 2 younger sons were obviously not his. It will be difficult to trace charles without his birth date/middle name etc. It seems like he moved around alot too judging from the letters in the file. I'm thinking Florence may be a clue as he mentioned her in the letter in 1921 - so they were clearly in contact so hopefully will be able to trace her when I can access the 1921 census.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I doubt charles jnr would have lived past 20 (which would be generous) the life expectancy until very recently was late teens (it's still only early 30's). He likely would have remained at Woodlands until he passed, as he would have gotten progressively worse until his respiratory muscles were involved, likely passing away from respiratory failure.

That's sad.

Possible death registered Mar qtr 1915, Kings's Norton - as Charles Robins, 14.

That's sad.

Possible death registered Mar qtr 1915, Kings's Norton - as Charles Robins, 14.
Yes, Ellen had 7 boys, 5 of which were affected and passed away before they were 17. Her daughter also had a son affected who passed away in his late teen/early 20's. (The females carry the gene). I had always wondered MaryAnn snr was the carrier, and it appears she was, I wonder if any other other son's were affected - safe to say John was not.

That is the around the right age for Charles jrn. The last I have for him was on 12 Feb 1915 he was " in the Cripples Children’s Home, Woodlands Northfield Able to walk a little"

Last edited:
Back