• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells

Well, I used to live at 106 Greenbank House in the mid to late 60s. The flat was haunted, there used to be all sorts of carrying on going on there.

I woke up as a child to find an old man sitting at the side of my bed wearing 1700 attire and I was petrified, to say the least, and the image of that man has stayed with me for my entire life and I'm now in my 50s although I'm not scared of ghost anymore. Birds used to appear, cats used to appear, insects. You name it, I saw it.

I used to go to St Matthews school (best school ever) and some of my childhood memories are of me roller skating in the school playground with metal skates were you joined the toe and the heel parts together with a screw and adjustable metal plate. I remember the school used to have an afterschool curriculum which we loved attending and it was here I learnt how to play the Traffic lights game (Red Amber Green).

I remember going to Brownies in a place a few yards from the Duddeston Manor School.

All church activities took place at St Matthews Church and as children, we considered the other church located at the end of St Matthews School to be haunted and me having already seen a ghost, I didn't take much convincing.

I can remember the little park with the metal slide and the wooden logs placed around the side of the slides which we used to jump from log to log. In the days the space between the logs seemed so big and difficult to jump.

Most of all I remember rolling down Greenbank Hill itself at the back of the flats until I got dizzy. We used to play hide and seek in the designated drying areas that were allocated to the houses below. The flats used to have a chute where you would throw all your rubbish down. I remember in particular this area would be covered in Daddy long legs and I was so scared I wouldn't go up the steps unless I saw another adult going the same way as me.

The place definitely needed to be knocked down. As an adult, I have had three dreams about Greenbank house. One of them, where I'm standing outside the front door and a force is trying to pull me into the flat, but, I resist with all my might and end up winning. Another one was I rescued two people from the flat and escaped in a helicopter.

Other places I remember include The Doctors Health centre underneath (still got my medical card,) the laundrette, the library, the Children's Nursery which I also attended. Have come along way since Greenbank House but, for me? It's definitely not forgotten.

Last edited:
hi.as anyone got any pics of cattles grove around 1959s i would love to see them. There was a little shop half way down on
the left, going down from npr. does enyone remember there name

Hi my name is Susan Farrell. Daughter to Sheila and Norman Farrell I was born at 5 Penstone terrace. Do you remember my parents?
Hi Susan - yes I do - I was about the same age as your brother I think - from memory you were a couple of years younger. It's nice to hear from you

Some wonderful pics. Is the Nechells Junction photo what I knew as "The Cab Stand"?. I used to walk there from Inkerman St to the Co-Op and I think the Home and Colonial Stores. The Doctors were nearby in Ashted Row, and of course "The Flea Pit" a bit further along, my first encounter with Flash Gordon! A fine pic of St James Church, which sadly I only knew as a ruin. We used to get into the graveyard vaults! I can recall the sound of the battery dustcarts, and remember the end of the steam lorries delivering to the local pubs.

I used to deliver papers to the flats in Melvina Rd. Remember them well. The shops you are talking about, are they the ones that virtually faced Duddeston train station? If so, Ive been in them quite a few times too, as we used to live in Queens Tower in Duddeston Manor Rd. And by the way, WELCOME TO THE SITE.
i remember them bazzm, the flats were above the shops. entrance around the back

I've just joined and have been enjoying this thread. My 2xGreat Grandmother ran a corner shop from 1 Cuckoo Road for many years. She ended her days in the James Almshouses in Nechells Park Road in 1920. Too long ago for anyone here to remember the shop or the family but I've still managed to gain an insight into the places even so. Thank you.

Welcome LindiLou. Glad you’ve enjoyed the thread. You might be interested in the Nechells Park Road thread - link below. There’s are a number of photos on the thread too. Also there’s a Cuckoo Road thread link below. Viv

mike if you see this post could i have a map please showing the location of 1 cuckoo road...i may have a photo of it...thanks mike

lyn

Thank you so much Vivienne 14 for your reply and for the other threads. That's tonight's reading sorted! Astoness if you do have a photo of 1 Cuckoo Road I would be over the moon! Thank you both

View attachment 150332
Welcome LindiLou. Glad you’ve enjoyed the thread. You might be interested in the Nechells Park Road thread - link below. There’s are a number of photos on the thread too. Also there’s a Cuckoo Road thread link below. Viv

was the cafe on the corner of argile st number one.

Attachments

• 1605720684012.png
    1605720684012.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
mike was the cuckoo cafe at no 1 its just that the map does not seem to match up with the photo posted on post 310

Lyn, I think that your photo is of a cafe on the corner of Cuckoo Rd & Argyle St.
[/QUOTE

hi banjo yes it is but it was not me who posted the cafe pic i just wanted mike to confirm the number of it which is 81 so number 1 is the other end of the road and sadly i dont have a photo of it

lyn

Number 1 is where I suspected it to be then and not the cafe site. Thanks for all your work folks. Appreciated.
The cafe photo is still a great photo!
I did go and have a look along there a year or so ago and it appears I was looking in the right place. It is actually just waste ground there now, where number 1 was. Before they moved to No. 1 they had lived at No. 7 for about ten years, so any photo along that stretch would be a treasured thing.
Thanks again everyone. Really great welcome

Thank you Pete. Wonderful stuff.
you are welcome. i come from nechells,and that was my hunting ground.going to elliot st.and spion cob park. i had a friends who lived in cucoo rd, so i know it as it was in the 1950s to date.there were a few shop along that rd.2 across from your grans old shop

Pete,
you need access to the erolls but Cattells Grove is not on Ancestry between those dates. Someone might have erolls on disc.

Back