• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Road.

john knight

signman
This is on ebay for £32, ridiculous price, don't know whereabouts in Nechells Park road, and I walked that road 2 or 3 times a day for 5 years$_57.jpg

Phil

Retired Layabout
John

It's never worth that much, I have seen it advertised at much less than that in the past. Anyway it's the junction of Butlin Street & Nechells Park Road. Perhaps you might recognise it from this 1970's photo.

Nechells Nechells Park Rd - Butlin St  c1970.jpg

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
john cant say as ive seen a gum machine since i left villa st in 72...they certainly would not last long nowadays..nice photos both

lyn

cookie273uk

master brummie
I remember in the 50's/60's era my Wife dragging me along to a shop called Bullivant's in Nechells Park Rd, a I think it was a drapers, a favourite shop of hers. Eric

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
eric i thought we had a thread for nechells park road showing a pic of bullivants but i must be mistaken..will have another look in case i missed it

lyn

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at the entry, I thought the seller might be selling the negative, but no. It is claimed to be a postcard. But the negative that it has been taken from would seem to have a cross-shaped crack on it, and I can't see commercial photographers making genuine postcards reproducing that. They would have at least retouched it, I would have thought. So it may be someone printing off supposedly genuine old postcards from an old negative. What do you think?

Last edited:

Ivor Williams

master brummie
I remember in the 50's/60's era my Wife dragging me along to a shop called Bullivant's in Nechells Park Rd, a I think it was a drapers, a favourite shop of hers. Eric
Hi, Cookie! Bullivants was great shop indeed! So good that it only closed in recent years. As far as I know it hasn't been pulled down.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi ivor...i posted a pic of bullivants on post 9 but would love to see more of this shop

lyn

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Yes indeed guys Bullys was there for decades and also they had another shop as well
which also was there for decades and that was on nechells park road nechells dring the same leng of time
It was by clements road and just yards from the mens public toilets the old cast iron built
victorian
and many years back on this forum twelve years ago w had this thread open for discussing
and with the photograph of there two shop premises
my wife was brought up in clements road and went with her mother often to purchase materials
and i used to go to the one on lozells road next to the church and it was almost facing
wheeler street and i used to buy the scrimm from there myself as a young lad
i used to clean windows for a shilling down and around long acre and aston church lane
and surrounding street way back in the fifty and sixtys
best wishes Alan;;;;; Astonian ;;;;;;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Whilst on the subject of nechells park road, Auustin street nechells springs to my mind
formerly Ann street and becoming Austin street in 1872, the date of the renaming
is too early too suggest that it relates to Austen Chamberlain, the oldest son of Joseph Chamberlain,
whom was only nine years old at that time.. what ever its origins,
Austin Street ran from Nechells park road to mount street,
And was one of a host of streets to disapear in the post second world war redevelopment of Birmingham
best wishes a always,,,, Alan, Astonian,,,,

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
No idea of the date of this one. There's a car which someone might recognise. But what on earth is that on the pavement (left) on the corner? And what's happened to the lampost on the right? Viv.

image.jpeg

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
no idea what that is on the left corner viv but could that be a litter basket on the lampost...dont know if they were about then...stanley road just past the lady on the right..

Radiorails

master brummie
An old picture by the look of the lanterns and the trolley buses that ran there ceased in the early part of WW2.
But I do believe it is a litter basket, one of those wire ones common many years ago.

Phil

Retired Layabout
The Street on the left was/is Chattaway Street where once stood Nechells Manor House. I don't know if it is the dog scratching itself or the sapling that you are referring to, but in this photo he seems to have finished his scratch ad took to his heels.

By the way I forgot to add that as the tram service on Nechells Park Rd was replaced by trolleybus in 1921 the photo must have been after then because the tram track are gone.

Nechells Nechells Park Rd bottom of hill.JPG

Last edited: