• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Allcock Street, Deritend

louisa the house's in allcock st were both 2 and 3 storys hight the 2 story we called them back and front because they had a living room and 2 bedrooms + a garden were the three story had only had a living room with a little gas stove in the corner and 2 bed rooms one on top of the other we called the se
icon9.gif
cond the actice we had to share toilets e c t

I lived at No 43 which was on the first yard down from the top, nearest the corner of Liverpool Street, on the right hand side going towards Heath Mill Lane. Our house was two up two down, but if I remember rightly the back to backs were towards the middle of the street.
Unfortunately I don't go back as far as 1871, only late forties/fiftys but I hope this helps.

Marjorie, wasn't there a Bookies next door to you, I seem to remember taking bets for my Dad (money wrapped up in a note) and handing it over to the "Bookies Runner" stood outside. Also I think there was a family named Worral living by you, just up from the Weston?

yes deritendboy the bookieswas run by charlie foster allright for us pub one side and bookies the other

my nan lily williams used to clean at the gt western pub in hack staround the time of 1955 it was then run by THE HAYWARDS ,it is thought my nan was one of the oldest cleaners then,i think she was in her 70s when she packed up.we were brought up in Bromley St,our next door neighbours were the Feltons on one side & the Burdens the other does it ring any bells with any one?

mary did your nan have a daughter called ivy . my mom nancy smith worked as a cleaner at the weston for many years
also i remember carol felton . my nan hade the shop next door to the paper stock do you remember that ? the haywards were made to retire when davenports seen picture of him in the mail at the age of 80 (harry )

Hi Marjorie thanks for the reply,my nan had a daughter in law called Ivy she was married to uncle Jack they lived at the bottom of Allcock St.i cant realy remember the shop you mentioned but i remember the shop at the top of lower trinity st,i used to go there for 5 park drive on the strap for mom.Do you remember the OFlahertys in bromley street?my dad used to love a drink,i have recentley been in touch with Carol Felton it was a real trip down memory lane.

yes mary i remember the oflaherys just about therewas mary and joey wasent ther? my sister ann smith was a good friend of carols she once told ann that they had coulor TV what that was all about just don't know is jones your single name because i cant remember any one named jones
next time you see carol will you remember ann to her thanks marjorie

Hi marjorie i am mary oflaherty i have a brother joey and brother danny,jones is my married name not very good at computer yet so i signed in as jones.Still dont know how to look at photos yet and ther are some of Tilton Rd school i would love to look at,hoping someone will help me out.Which school did you go to?Did you have a brother named Ken or am i getting mixed up?do you remember ivy williams she lived at tha bottom of allcock st,they lived up a yard.i will tell carol soon,shes as good as me on this thing .be in touch again soon.mary

Hi Robert. My Grandmothers Mother was an Agnes Veness before her marriage to William Holden in 1901 they lived at 112. Flodgate St. amd Bishop St in 1911.

Hi Malta, my grandmother was Amelia Veness Agnes's sister. Amelia along with her "husband" they never married James Rowles lived in Bishop st untill 1947.

hi mary i remember ivy but just about i dont have a brother named ken in my family there is doreen ann me roy and george smith we lived at 20 allcock st next door to the weston i went to tilton rd but i don't remember you from there i was there from 56 untill 1960
i know the name OFLAHERTY YOU and joey but cant put a face to the name i remember a ladi who lived down the bottom of allcock st who kept dogs and we always called her mrs treadwell because she had bad feet a little naughty i know but we were only kids then . any how see you
marjorie

Hi,
I am looking for photo`s of Allcock Street please,i have tried to get them up what are on this
Thread,but nothing will show up for me,any help please.
Thankyou
Carolann

hi carolann...it seems to be the pics i posted that you cant view...unfortunatly when the forum was upgraded last year we lost some of our pics...i will try and find the allcock st ones and repost them for you...

lyn

here'sone of Adderley Streethttps ://smallheath.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=downloadattachmentpage&board=newpics&thread=392&post=1675

sorry carolann..i dont appear to have saved these pics which is unusual for me so if anyone has i wonder if you could repost them please... they were on posts 6 and 7

many thanks...

lyn

I think that means they are somewhere in the forum store, but it can't find them. Will retitle and try again.
Mike
PS No good just retitling. Had to increase size as well so the annoyingt computer didn't recognise them

brillient mike..thank you....thats saved me reposting them as a friend had emailed them to me...yes i think the trick is to rename the pics were are reposting...

thanks again mike...

lyn

Back