• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Allcock Street, Deritend

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Does anyone have a picture of houses in Allcock St, Deritend so that I can get an idea of where my family lived in 1871? I have been looking for such a long time, without success.

Have you tried the Birmingham Library and Heritage Service?

They have a large collection of photographs and local info. This is a link to some of their collections and you could try an e-mail for specific enquiries.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=1936&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=5396

Just after the 2nd world war my family lived on the corner of Allcock street at no 36, next door to a bombed out house. I think there was a pub nearby.

I was about three or four years old but I remember the big bus depot down the road by where my aunt lived in Great Barr Street. The house had two bedrooms with a living room with a very small scullery (gas cooker and sink & draining board and no room for anything else) and I seem to remember coal being stored in a cupboard in the living room. There may have been a yard at the back with other houses.

We moved about 1949/50 to new built houses in Garretts Green Yardley as the houses in Allcock street were to be demolished.

Louisa

You dont have to actually visit the Birmingham archives to make an enquiry and get an answer.

I dont live in Birmingham now but I have used both the Birmingham and Dudley archives by e-mail and found the service to be prompt, thorough and inexpensive. I have had scan copies of newspaper reports about an inquest sent to me by e-mail attachment from the Dudley Archives Service in the last few days.

When you send them an e-mail tell the archive staff that you live out of town and are unable to visit and ask if they have any photographs of Allcock Street c1870 and they will send you a reply within a few days listing any reference numbers of photographs they hold and a breakdown of the cost of a photograph or scan copy .

Give it a try, the email is archives@birmingham.gov.uk

Good luck
Louisa

hi all..here is four pics of allcock st taken in 1905

lyn

Last edited:
Astoness
Thank you so much for posting the photos of Allcock street. This was the street I was born and lived in for about five years as a child just after the war.

We lived at no 36 near a bombed out house on the corner and a pub was quite near by. I had relatives who lived near the bus depot by the canal bridge.

Are the photos copyright as I would like to add one or two to my family history if possible.

Louisa

hi louisa..these pics were passed on to me so it will ok for you to have them for your family album...isnt it great when we happen accross these pics that mean so much to us....

cheers

lyn

My Great Grandfather's family lived at no 37 allcock St in 1871, although on census night he was at no 31 for reasons I do not know. I am fascinated to hear that you lived at 36, Louisa. Was 36 & 37 or 31 shown in any of the above photos?
What could you tell me about the house(s)? It would be great to know more and your help eould be much appreciated.
Thank you for posting the photos, Lyn.
Shirley

hi shirl..how great that both yourself and louisa have an interest in allcock st....

could i ask if any of of very clever experts if they could have a close look at all four pics to see if they can make out any numbers on the doors...

many thanks..

lyn

Just after the 2nd world war my family lived on the corner of Allcock street at no 36, next door to a bombed out house which I fell down the cellar of in 1947 while my mother was confined to bed for two weeks after giving birth to my sister. I remember a policeman came and lifted me out of the cellar. I think there was a pub nearby.

The house had two bedrooms with a living room with a very small scullery (gas cooker and sink & draining board and no room for anything else) and I seem to remember coal being stored in a cupboard in the living room.

We had a red horse hair settee in the living room and little else and I got told off for pulling the horse hair out of a small hole in it. There was a yard at the back with other houses, a shared wash house and toilet.

We kept a cat for the mice and rats that plauged the bombed out area and late one night a cat got his head stuck in a tin and was running around the yard making a great clatter and some of the neighbours had to catch it and prise the tin off.

When I was about four years old I decided to take off and visit my aunt who lived in Great Barr street near the big bus depot and a policeman came and took me home as it was dark and my aunt and uncle were out on the canal boat.

I can also remember going to see a parade in Digbeth in about 1947/48 and I think it was for the visit of someone Royal but I may be mistaken aout the reason for the parade.

We moved about 1949/50 to new built houses in Broadstone road Garretts Green Yardley as the houses in Allcock street were to be demolished.

Louisa

Thank you so much for the fascinating description & stories, Louisa. It was kind of you to take so much trouble. Do you remember which corner no 36 was on so that I can place no 37?
Shirley

The last house on the south side at the east end of the street was no 37. The numbers ran consecutively. No 38 was on the north side, and no36 would, I guess, be the one marked in red on this map c 1910 . The pub that Louisa remembers would be the Great Western Inn ( no 19) , which is shown on the corner of Hack St. I hope that agrees with Louisa recollections
mike

map_c_1910_allcock_st_no_36_and_no_19.jpg

brillient recollections louisa..this is the sort of stuff we need on the forum...i will try and find out what pub you are talking about...

lyn

looking at shirley map there was only one pub on the corner of allcock st...i will ask on the forum...

shirley
I am assuming that no 37 was the building slightly round the corner from 36 to the right. Certainly no 38 was on the north side, and 37 is given as the south side.
Mike

thanks so much, Mike, for clarifying the location of nos 36 & 37. I do so like to anchor the location of the relatives Thanks for posing your questions, Lyn.
Shirley

shirl..i am just talking to mike on the pubs thread..seems the one louisa recalls maybe the great western...will get back to you both...

lyn

Just looked at my 1911 census info for 36 Allock street and the Jones family lived there at that time 5 males one female and the house had 3 rooms. I always thought the house was just two floors but maybe some of the street had three story houses.

No 37 was occupied by the Short family of 4 males and 7 females. No 37a allcock street was uninhabited.

The Great Western Inn was at 19 Allcock street on the corner of Hack street and in 1911 the Partridge family were the publicans.

I remember that the pub didnt seem too far from my house because I remember hearing people singing on their way home which would have been about 10 or 10-30 as my mother would have been feeding my sister and her crying usually woke me up.

On taking another look at the 1911 enumorator records for Allcock street I saw that the Sparkes family were there at no 47 in 1911. When I was a child just after the war Ada Sparkes was one of the people in the street who would look after me when my mother had to go to the Bull Ring market.

Funny the things you remember.

hi louisa..i dont have a pic of the pub in my collection but have asked if any other members may have one...fingers crossed one may turn up....

lyn

Don’t know If following is of interest from directories
1912 and 1913: 37 Bull Mrs. Annie, shopkpr
1921 no is not included

From electoral rolls
36. William & Annie Jones & James Taylor
37. David Henry & Ada Emily Slater & John Thomas Martin Woods
37a Albert and Sarah Bodman
36. William & Annie Jones
37. Francis & Nellie Jarrett & Thomas Richard Swaffield & William John Collins & Sarah Bodman
37a. Not listed.
36. William Henry & Annie & Harold & Edward Jones
37. Leonard & May Cleaver & Willaim & Mary Long#
37a Sarah and Gladys Elizabeth Bodman

mike

Thank you, Louisa & Mike. There were publican Partridges over many years.I have long suspected that there was a link between the beer retailer / publican Milners & the publican Partridges, but as the 1825 records are so limited I cannot prove it.

Shirley
do you want me to lookin the directories for publicans milner and partridge. If so i will gladly do it
mike

That is a very very kind offer, Mike but I cannot prove the connection. George Milner married Ann Partridge, a widow at St Martins 27.12.1825. I am currently trawling through St Martins registers, a slow job, to see if I can find the burial of a Partridge prior to 1825 with a spouse called Ann. I do not even know if Partridge was Ann's maiden name or married name. The reason I suspect there is a link is because both Milners & Partridges had West Bromwich & Aston connections and Ann's sons became a retail brewer in William St & a publican in Blews St. My thinking is that as so many Partridges were publicans they may have passed the expertise to the Milners.
My research starting point is the St Martins registers. I spent 5 hours on them yesterday and barely scratched the surface. West Bromwich transcripts gave no clues at all even though their eldest son was born & baptised there 15.10.1826.
I have to accept I may never find the Milner & Partridge roots and never discover the social links between the 2 families, but I am not giving up yet.
Once again, thank you. If I ever do find the link I would like to get back to you.
Shirley

good pics of allcock stree i lived there at 20 next door to the weston from 1945 untill late 50s mom and dad charie and nancy smith use to drink in the pub very handy being it was next door our dad lived at 22 hack st his moms name amy and his dad herbert nan had a sweet shop is there any one out there no anything about them please help
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

marj

Marjorie
I dont know if it was you who posted this info and family pictures on another site about Hack Street/ allcock street and Amy Smith but just in case you didnt then this is the link

https://www.smallheathcircle.com/3.html

You need to scroll right down to get to the info about Amy Smith.

Fingers crossed its new family info for you.

Interesting you can remember the houses in Allcock street better than me I thought that 36 allcock street where I was born (Moss Family) was only two storys high and the 1911 census says three rooms, can you remember if all the houses in the street were all the same or were some of them with 3 floors and some 2. My father and his sister drank in the Great Western and in the Cider House where ever that was in Deritend.

Louisa

My Mom and Dad lived at number 50 Allcock street from 1935 to 1940 when they were bombed out and moved to Erdington.

hi margorie...i was going though some of brummagem mags yesterday and im sure i saw a pic of hack st but cant be certain..if i find it would you like me to scan and post it for you...

lyn

Back