• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Street Memorials & Rolls of Honour

WW1 Street Memorial

Hello Terry,
I can now confirm that the Charles Minchin named on the memorial
was indeed a Gt Uncle of mine. He enlisted in September 1914, drafted
to France 3 months later. He was in a battle at Ypres, & fell at Neuve
Chapelle & died 15/03/1915. He is buried at Dickebusch Military cemetery.

His adddress given at his enlistment was:

29 MILLWARD STREET, & in fact this is the same address that his parents
were living at. So I am wondering if this Greenway Street Memorial was a combined one, perhaps including chaps from nearby streets who also died in WW1. Maybe this why Greenway street only appears after a few names? Any thoughts on this ??
Margaret.

hello Margaret

Would you like me to email you a better scan of the memorial. Perhaps not every street had a memorial. Very little information survives on these Street Memorials.

Terry

Hello Terry, I knew I would find it sometime.
Sadly it says Central Birmingham 1920, so unless it can be located in the Birmingham Library Photographic collection thats about all there is to go on.
I might add that I very much doubt that the precise would be found.

View attachment 13622

There is a plaque on the wall just inside old Yardley church with the names of two of my great uncles who both died in the great war, the name of one of them, George Haylor is on the Menin Gate in Yrpes, he was killed at Hooge in Belgium and his brother Thomas was taken prisoner on the Somme and died in captivity, he was only17.

Hi Terry
I wonder if you can help. I am trying to locate any ww1 memorial in Birmingham which names my half brothers grandfather George Dawson
who was killed 28.6.1916 and is buried at Bully-Grenay military cemetary
in Pas de Calais France. At the time of his death he was a Pioneer in No.4
Bn. Spec. Bde. He enlisted 16.8.1915 in 17th (local reserve) Battalion
Royal Warwickshire Regiment but transferred to the R.E. in Feb 1916 and
went to France 17.3.1916. At the time of enlistment he is recorded as living at 30 High St., Deritend (his fathers home) although he was married with 2 children. His NOK wife Leah Dawson is recorded living at 3/20 College St., Spring Hill.
One other odd thing that i cant work out is that although he enlisted on 16.8.1915 on his sons birth certificate reg. 21.11.1914 his occupation is given as Private Kings Rifles (Cycle polisher), does this make any sense ???

Regards
Mick
:)

For anyone interested, there is, or at least was 4 or 5 years ago, a WW1 memorial of the same type as the Greenway St one, inside St Aidans Church.

It has Soldiers from Regents park Rd etc listed, including my Granfather.

Not sure but I think St Aidans has been renamed, possibly as All Saints.

Margaret,Terry and Brummie Nick
George Minchin is My Grandfather he was born on the 14th of November 1878 in Linden Place Talford street Small Heath. He was married to Mabel Jane Price (nick name Ginny) on the 24th April 1905 at St Andrews Church they were neigbours at 7 & 8 butler Street. they had six children three children died between the ages of two and ten the the eldest of these was their son George, The remaining children were Annie (My late Mother) and late Aunts Rosa and Aggie. I have my grandads medals and a photo. My step grandad was Georges couson and is said to have promised to look after My Grandmother and children, I have five children the last being a boy. I named Him Micheal James Minchn Parfitt.Besides the Memoral in Greenway street there was a brass memorial in St Andrews Church ,When the church was pulled down I went to both St Martins and All Saints but they were unable to find it. the various memorial were split between these Churchs.

Hello Barry...so you & I share MINCHIN relatives !!! I have the marriage cert of the 2nd marriage of your grandmother Mabel Jane to Edward Green in 1919 ( He was a cousin of the Minchin's) they lived in Greenway St. I have LOADS of info on the Minchin clan if you are interested ??? Happy to share the info with you. I would LOVE to see the photo of George....sadly I have never found any photos of the Minchin's.

Margaret.

Last edited:
maragret
last week end i went to france to find my grandfaters grave he his remembered on the thiepval memorial.if you go to commonwealth war graves commission you can get a certificate for all relations killed in the first world war.it turns out that that my grandad as no known grave.
althought another minchin again george died at the same time and he has a grave he was 18. they were last seen going over the top at ginchy to attack a fortified farm at guillemont.afew miles from albert. as we had bought some english roses from my daugthers home and brumie soil we went to cemeteries in that area and found one with graves of royal warwickshire regiment killed on the day of my grandfathers death. there was also graves of unknown soldiers of the royal warwicks on one of these we lay our tributes. i noticed the name green on some of these graves i will sort a photo of my grandad and grandmother and death cards i have and try and get you a photo of ted ,my step grandad.i go back on the minchin side to tanworth when members of our family helped build the cannal between strafford and the grand union cannal.

Hello Barrie,
I do have a photo of the Theipval Memorial with George's name on it. My connection is through George's sister JEMIMA. We actually lost quite a few young men in WW1....Jemima's eldest son, William Green, died in France on 13/03/1915 just days before Jemima's brother Charles Minchin on 15/03/1915...your George died in 1916 as did the husband of Rose Minchin. I am pleased that you managed to get to Theipval, especially with some Brummie soil..it must have been a very touching experience for you. Have you found all the Minchins on the census's ??

regards,
Margaret.

We lived in Mount Terrace off Greenway Street from 1948 to 1959. My Mum remembers a Memorial on the wall of one of the houses. When half of the street was demolished and Stopped Up, I cannot imagine anyone destroying it. Perhaps Birmingham City Council would have knowledge of it since they approved the Stopping Up Order (Highways Act) to allow for the building of Morrisons/Woolworths. The Planning Department or the Library would have knowledge, if any.

There is a brass plaque on the wall by an entrance where pedestrians can walk through to Morrisons car park to the memory of workers killed in the Air Raid on the BSA factory, and in front on the floor is a circular memorial with parts made for the War Effort by the BSA Group set in it, if you stand with your back to the main road, Green lane is on the right & a retail shop on the left and you will face the plaque. Len.

Hi Terry

I have just received 2 photos of Bham Street Shrines which may be of interest. One for Arthur Street Small Heath (not very clear, except for the WC's) & Heaton Street which I think may be Hockley.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

Are you popping up the the OC's for a drink. Need to speak to you regarding 1/8th & 1/6th Warwicks Killed & Missing on 1 July 1916.

Cheers

Terry

Terry saw your post on the GWF. Let me know the date & I will be there. Ref the RWR for the 01/07/1916, let me know what info you are looking for & I will see what I have.

Tony

My mother lived in Greenway Street from 1920 to 1935/36 and remembers the war memorial on the wall. It was near the Coventry Road end of the street. It would have poppies put on it in November. She remembers that in the 20s Remembrance Day was very important, with guns going off, traffic stopping, and people standing still in the street at 11am. She thinks this stopped at some stage in the 1930's, apart fromt he bigger commemorations.

Margaret,Terry and Brummie Nick
George Minchin is My Grandfather he was born on the 14th of November 1878 in Linden Place Talford street Small Heath. He was married to Mabel Jane Price (nick name Ginny) on the 24th April 1905 at St Andrews Church they were neigbours at 7 & 8 butler Street. they had six children three children died between the ages of two and ten the the eldest of these was their son George, The remaining children were Annie (My late Mother) and late Aunts Rosa and Aggie. I have my grandads medals and a photo. My step grandad was Georges couson and is said to have promised to look after My Grandmother and children, I have five children the last being a boy. I named Him Micheal James Minchn Parfitt.Besides the Memoral in Greenway street there was a brass memorial in St Andrews Church ,When the church was pulled down I went to both St Martins and All Saints but they were unable to find it. the various memorial were split between these Churchs.[/QUOTE]

Barry, a couple of years have passed since you wrote referring to your late mother and remaining aunts Rosa and Aggie. I hope they're still with us. I was wondering if your aunt Aggie was Agnes Minchin who was married to Sidney M. Gibbons? The person I'm trying to find a record of was Agnes Patricia Minchin living in London and employed with the UK Ministry of Fuel and Power following WW2. Are you related to an aunt who would have been known as Agnes Gibbons?

Hello again, sadly this is the NOT the Agnes Patricia Minchin that you are hoping to find I am afraid...this is the Agnes Minchin who married William Thompson.

Wishing you well in your search..

Margaret.

My father in law has a postcard of the Talfourd Street memorial and I was just looking to see if I could discover more about it and came across this thread. We are trying to find out why this photo is in the family and we think that the George E Nutt mentioned is related by marriage - lots more research to do yet!

Not sure how to attach photos here but will try to add it later.

talfore_st_NEW.jpg

Talfourd Street Heroes

Last edited:
Netti
Great postcard not seen it before. Are you able to read any information including the names on the memorial.

Tony

Netti.... Netti..... Netti

Great Picture. Could I please Have a scan of the photo please. My Mom, who is now nearing 84 years, remembers the memorial when she was a child. Her family, the Witsey's & Holyoak's lived at 36 Talfourd Street.

Like Tony (Subotone) I would like to research the names commemorated on the memorial.

Thanks in anticipation

Terry

netti what a wonderful photo of a street memorial, I have not seen this one before. There is a lot of interest in these memorials we seem to have lost the ones posted when we had problems with the site being hacked. It's a shame we can't read the names. Thank you for posting it netti. Wendy.

Terry - have emailed you a copy

I think there is a Witsey on there! FIL bringing the original over later so I will get out the magnifying glass!

Oh that sounds great netti it would be nice to know who is listed on the memorial.

Wow.... gobsmacked is what I am! The picture of the memorial that Netti emailed me contains the my Nan's two elder brothers. Charlie and Jack Witsey

What an appropriate time to be discussing this thread.. Remembrance Sunday.

Terry

I am so pleased for you Terry it makes a change for you to be helped you give so much help to us on here. netti thanks for all your lovely posts and help. I am sure Terry will remember this Rememberance Sunday.

Happy to Help Terry!

I now have the original in my hand and will be making a list of those on it.

Would you mind asking your mum if she remembers Arthur and Ada Harris who lived in Talfourd St think it was 25 or 27?

Thanks again Netti

With the improved image that you sent me. I can now see the name of my nan's first husband Benjamin Gibbons who died of Spanish Flu in April 1919.

Have been trying to ring my mom. No luck yet.

Terry

I remember my father pointing out one of those, In memoriam box's, can't remember where it was now but could have been when going to see 'villa' play, after reading the thread it makes you appreciate just how many young men perished just in our old city alone in WW1. and how grateful I now feel for all those young men who allowed me to have such a full, and free life.
paul

Back