• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Street Memorials & Rolls of Honour

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Hello all

My Mother grew up in Talfourd Street, Small Heath, and remembers the Street's War Memorial. A wooden wall box to put flowers in and a plaque with the names of the fallen who lived in the street. She also remembers that there was a similar one in Greenway Street.

I, myself, have just purchased a postcard of a Street Memorial for Grange Road, Small Heath (Below is a poor copy downloaded from the web. When it arrives I will upload a better picture of it).

Do any other Forum members remember these Great War Street Memorials and by chance would anyone have a picture of any?

Cheers

Terry

Hi Terry, I remember the Greenway Street Memorial, I think there was one in Tilton Road as well, sorry but I don't have any pictures of them.

I find it very sad that these memorials have just disappeared.

Further to my original post. I have now got the postcard and below is a quick scan. Under a magnyfing glass all the names are legible. So I will be doing a bit more research and add further info. There are 30 names commemorated. Some are easier to read than others.
The two flower vases either side of the Roll of Honour are brass shell cases which are 'Trench Art' items brought back from the war.

Terry

Terry is it possible you could post the names. Lovely postcard by the way!

Hi Wendy

As soon as I have sorted it all out I will post all the info

The address of the photographer who took the picture was Grange Road, Small Heath. I do not know yet if the Memorial was in Grange Road. The five names that I have checked, so far, all resided in Small Heath.

Terry

Terry. I have seen a framed glass fronted case fitted on the house of a Mrs Matthews I believe her name was and lived in Coleman Street in the 1940's. Now there was a photograph ( I shall have a look for a book in which it may have been in when I get time.) It was taken from a distance but could be seen on the wall. I can remember it but was not too sure what it was about as I was quite young at the time. I will add that there were quite a few people with arms or legs missing at around this time which I think was due to the Great War as it was known then. I was not sure if it was a personal remembrance to the people who lived at the house or one for the street.

I have checked around 10 of the 30 names commemorated so far, at the moment the Memorial appears to be for the men of Greenway Street. As soon as I complete the names I will supply the info.

Terry

Greenway Street

Hello Terry/Brummie Nick,
do you remember where this Memorial was in Greenway Street ? I lived
in this street from 1941 until 1962, & don't have any memory of it... I doubt I would have taken much notice of it in my youth...it is only now
that I would appreciate it's value & deserved sentiment.
Margaret.

Hi Margaret

My Mom remembers it and others in the area. However she left Small Heath in 1938 when the family moved to new houses in Lea Village. But cannot say whereabouts on Greenway Street it was.

Terry

Hello Terry/Brummie Nick,
do you remember where this Memorial was in Greenway Street

Hi Margaret, if you remember the terraces that ran from Cattell Rd to Greenway st, the Memorial was on the houses opposite the single terrace.

Nick.

PS did you attend Tilton Rd school.?

Greenway Street

Hello brummie nick,
I remember the terraces very well...I used them to get to school..& yes
it was Tilton Road Schools that I attended. This memorial was in our "end"
of Greenway Street, as we lived in what I now know was called "Ladybird
Terrace"...it was the one alongside STOCKTONS PIE/CAKE SHOP, but I really do not remember this memorial at all.
Margaret.

When I get chance this weekend I will put on the names that I have on the Memorial.

As a kid we had relatives in Greenway Street and I remember visiting. It must have always been a Birmingham FC home game, because I can remember all the cars parked in the street and empty parked buses which we used to jump on and off and ring the bells. I also remember the pie shop.

My moms relatives in Greenway Street were Aunt Lisa (Heard). Minnie and Ernie Hoare and up one of the entry's was my Mom's sister's place (Aunt Dolly) but she had died and her husband was Frank Hawley.

Regards

Terry

Greenway Street

Hello Terry/ Nick,
can you give the name of your cousin, Nick. I was at school with Muriel
Horley/Hawley, she was the eldest girl in the family. I look forward to
seeing the names of the brave chaps listed on your postcard.
Margaret.

Yes I know Sammy,still see him now and again. Murial is my cousin. Have not heard about her for many many years.

Terry

Not Forgotten

The names on the Greenway Street Roll of Honour

Pte L Willetts ?
Pte William T Tees 2Warwicks 20/12/14
Pte Charles Henry Collins 1Warwicks 7/6/15
Gunner Frederick Charles Holmes RGA 31/12/16. 21 Greenway St
Rifleman Alfred John Rothwell 10 KRRC 12/4/16. 57 Greenway St
Pte Walter Russell MGC 2/7/16 66 Greenway St
L/Cpl William Hughes 2/6 Warwicks 19/7/16. 134 Greenway St
Rifleman Thomas Hull 12 Rifle Brigade 26/8/16. 96 Greenway St AGE 17
Pte George Frederick Russell 6Berks 19/10/16
Pte Walter North 12Devons 2/3/17
Pte L Brooke ?
Rifleman H Brookes ?
Pte Ernest Hull 3Worcesters 22/9/15. 96 Greenway St
L/Cpl James Hinton 2 Coldstream 12/2/16
Pte J Dyer ?
Pte Arthur Lilley 1/6 Warwicks 1/7/16. 4 back 47 Greenway St
Pte Isaiah Bythell 2Warwicks 29/7/16
Rifleman Charles Minchin 4Rifle Brigade 15/3/15
Pte J Martin ?
Pte R C Dyer ?
Pte S McCalpin ?
Pte Herbert Cockerill 14Warwicks 23/7/16
Pte Cecil George Greaves 2Warwicks 5/10/15
Pte Richard Vickers 11Warwicks 10/4/17
L/Sgt Horace Albert Reeves 1/6Warwicks 1/7/16
Pte Thomas Moore 1/6Warwicks 1/7/16
Pte J Cooper ?
Rifleman James William Earl 9KRRC 15/9/16. 107 Greenway St
Guardsman Albert Hambleton M.M. Coldstreams 21/2/17. 48 Greenway St
Pte C Gibbins or Gibbons ?

The names with '?' I am not sure about, so far.

"Their Names Liveth Evermore"

Well done Terry, have you carried out anymore research on the names you have identified. I see details for some of them are on CWGC and UKNIWM lists

Colin

Greenway Street

Hello Terry,
one of the names posted is one of mine ( I think ). I knew that George
Minchin was KIA 03/09/1916, but had not known that his brother Charles Minchin was also KIA...I don't suppose that Charle's age was listed was it ? He would have been about 28. Many thanks for listing the names.
regards,
Margaret.

A great job Terry, Well done, I notice that three of the 1/6 Warwickshire Regiment, Pte A Lilly, H Reeves, And T Moore were 'First day of the Somme' victims.

Nick

Fantastic job Terry! I notice the programme about these memorials is running on UK History.

Sorry Margaret

No age listed.

Strange... have you checked CWGC. There are two George Minchin's killed on 3/9/16 and both in the Royal Warwicks. Your relative was aged 38 and the other a young lad of 18.

Terry

I have a bit more info on some of the names commemorated, but am awaiting a reply from Carl Chinn and possibly do an article in his magazine because we are now in the 90th Anniversery of the end of WW1.

Greenway Street

Hello Terry,
The 38 yr old George Minchin was the elder brother, he left a widow &
young children...his widow remarried in the '20's & was living in Greenway
St at that time. I need to find out now if Charles was awarded his medals
posthumously...that is IF they awarded them ! Just going back to George..
as his name is not on the memorial I suspect that means that his family were living elsewhere at the time he was K I A in 1916.
Thanks again for taking the trouble to relay all these details..well done !
Margaret.

Yes I know Sammy,still see him now and again. Murial is my cousin. Have not heard about her for many many years.

Terry
Hi Terry, Very interesting the Greenway St Roll of Honour, I was born in Greenway st at No 4 I don't remember the Roll of Honour but My husband does he lived at the top end of the street, Your Cousin Muriel was my best friend I did catch up with her about 18mths ago, my Brother is still in touch with your cousin Sammy, My Father used to look after the bikes on the Blues match days there seemed to hundreds of them, I only wish I had a picture to look back on.

Pat

Greenway St

Hello Brumie Nick,
Did you live in Greenway st ? Yes I have seen that photo before I am on it ( Pat Harris ) are you ? , I guess you had it off Sammy, did you go to the School reunion for Tilton Rd & Ada Rd School,

Pat

Hi Pat, to answer your questions.
No, I didn't live in Greenway St, {lived in Templfield St}
Yes, I did have the Pic off Sammy,
Yes, I did go to the reunions.

I also know Roland.

Back