• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheelers Lane Secondry modern

B

badger

When I attended this school, It was boys only, under the headship of Mr North.

One teacher I remember was Mr Levine,

Have a few pics of the Brass band if anyones interested.

These would be around 1959/1960

I attended Wheeler's Lane from 1964, to 1965.

I remember Mr North.... with his mortar board and cape hanging on his office door. :D

I also remember Harry Levine. He took us for Penmanship (learning to write properly). He was a grand old man..... and uncle of, then, British champion table tennis star, Chester Barnes.

I remember too, the gym teacher... but not his name now. I remember him mainly because as a punishment one day, he decided to forego the slipper, and gave me a lashing with the rope that hung from the gym ceiling. :shocked:

My recollections are vague now, only having been there a short time, but my two abiding memories are the school's fabulous library upstairs.... and The Kinks being number 1 in the charts with "You Really Got Me." :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Wheelers during the early sixties (1961-65) Mr North was the head when I started, but he retired around 63/4 and Mr. Probert became the head, Mr Peters deputy, Mr levine, Mr Hyme, Mr Hall, Mr Goulcher penmanship, Mr favell Music/Band. Mr Hougton maths , Mr McIver PE master, Mr Hancox Art, Mr Rudge Geography, Mr Dowsett metalwork, Mr Skinner woodwork,

In 2007 the old school was knocked down and replaced with a new three storey building with a seperate sports hall and all weather pitches. A new primary is being built on the site of the old school, and the school is now known as wheelers lane technology college.

Thanks for jogging my memory as to some of the masters there. I remember Mr Favell, Mr Rudge and Mr Skinner now........ and thanks too for reminding me of Mr McIver's name. ;)

Mr McIver could be seen at the end of the bar in the Bulls Head, Kings Norton for many years.
One day during a gym class he made all of us climb onto the wall bars and hang with our legs up horizontally, the whole class around forty boys, suddenly the wall bars fixings gave way and we all crashed to the floor with the wall bars on top. Thankfully no one was hurt and we were allowed to play pirates for the rest of the period.
On another occasion he made the class line up along one side of the gym and walk through the store room to the other side were he was standing next to a wooden horse as we passed, we all had to bend over the horse and receive a whack of his slipper, a Dunlop green flash, I never found out why or what we had done to deserve the punishment, but we had a competion afterwards in the showers to see who had the best inprint of the sole on the slipper. Happy memories!

He was a bit of a bully wasn't he? :D

I'll remember that whacking he gave me with the rope for the rest of my days. Still, we all came through unscathed. :)

I think he must have been, I never had any trouble, he was my form master and I played in the rugby team for him. It was the way, everyone was treated like that at school in those days.
There were a few very hard teachers and pupils who really did want to show how strong or grown up they were. I think we could say that they taught by fear, but there were teachers who cared and wanted us all to succeed.

Hi
I was in the band - cornet player and not a very good one at that, left school Christmas 1959 I was in Mr Browns class

Hi Michael

I was in the band too on Cornet, have some great pictures.

Hello. I was there in 1950/52, Mr. North was headmaster, thanks for reminding me of some of the teachers names, Goulcher, Favell. Skinner, and I remember Mr. Mason and Mr.Edgeworth. Mr. Clutterbuck.

Last edited:
hi,
The old buildings have now been replaced with a smart new purpose built school for 21st century.( see the aerial pictures on google)
The head is Ms D. James, she has been at the school for six years and over the last few years the school has become one of the most improved schools in the city.
It is now known as Wheelers Lane Technology College and stands on the grassy(tarmac in later years) area that seperated the school from the junior/infants. The J&I has been rebuilt on the old boys school.
The old J&I will become a sports Hall and allweather pitches for the new College.
The only part still remaining of the old school is the concrete sculpture of Apollo that sat proudly above the main entrance.
During the rebuild the builders uncovered the old air raid shelters in the what was the J&I playground.
Mr Skinner was the woodwork master, I cannot remember the second woodwork masters name,

Wheelers Lane Secondary Modern was originally built in 1938/39 as Wheelers Lane Senior School. It suffered some bomb damage during WW2, when a landmine was dropped in Wheelers Lane, killing some residents, but as it was night-time no-one in the school was hurt. The school was repaired and continued to function.

There was not one "J&I playground". Infants and Juniors had separate playgrounds, most easily described as being on the right-hand side of the relevant Juiniors and Infants buildings as one approached from the Middleton Road entrance. The air raid shelters were not in either (asphalt) playground, but partially sunk in a grassed area on the other side of the playgrounds from the Junior and Infants buildings. They were never used in action, but regular "air raid practices" were held, involving a sing-song inside the shelters, and a distribution of the barley sugar held for such an emergency.

I was there from 1960 to 1965 staying on the optional 5th year (youngest in class). I remember "Albert" North. He used to stand in assembly and suddenly raise his shoes on the lectern and show off the shine. "See these boots? I've had them 35 years ! Get the joke? no? Then get the stick!" Favell was my first year teacher. Jones (in the temporary classrooms) for the second year. "Sammy" Goulcher for the third year with Copper Plate handwriting lessons and maths by the "3 Line Method" 4th year was the end classroom under the library which I think was "D R P Jones (?) Flavell for the final year. I still have my Progress Book. I missed the last few weeks of my 4th year term after a bad cycling accident in Partons Road on my way home to lunch. I remember the teachers being almost kind on my return. (For the times) Skinner was my woodwork master, Rudge took the cross country running,who was the nasty Gym master from Wales with hands like bunches of bananas? Happy days now - not so much at the time. Today is another day I will thank some of them for their knowledge, but I am determined not to use algebra or quadratic equations again. Another "Northism" "Never absent - never late".

The gym teacher was probably “ Jock” McCoy ( not certain if spelling correct) . He took classes for rugby
Mr. Flagella was music/handwriting teacher. Mr. Turgenev was geography teach and carried a broomstick!
I left in 1972(6 form)

Attended from 70 - 76. Head was Mr Probert, Deputy - Mr Rough, WW - Mr Julian, PE - Pete Ward, History - Nobby Hall, Maths - Mr Standing, Art - Mr Judges, English - Mr Hewitt. Many others spring to mind but another time. Often think where everyone is now... met up with a few old school mates in the Robin Hood, next time could be the Billesley..

I left in 1972. Mr Probert was head, Mr. Rough had taken over from a Mr. Peters ( who had cancer). Worries me slightly it is nearly 50 years since I left. I have a photo of the 6 year class then it feels like yesterday

Nigel Horton rings a bell?
When did you attend?
I started from infants, juniors then seniors to 6 form.
I’m trying to find an old photo of my last term group outside the main door

I found that which is attached ( hopefully!)

Attachments

• 72BD3459-FAC1-4882-A92B-FA53D4B08170.jpeg
    72BD3459-FAC1-4882-A92B-FA53D4B08170.jpeg
    842.7 KB · Views: 19
I decided to have a look at the school from outside, as had heard the old school had burned down. All so different, the junior school is where the senior school used to stand and vice versa for the seniors

@Jim259 That's a cracking picture.
Nigel Hortons England rugby shirt= used to be on the wall just above the door into the 'Beaks' office.
The wall space over the double doors into the hall were plastered with the regimental badges of all the regiments in the British Army.

Hi.. I was at Wheelers Lane Juniors as you left seniors. Did you go onto further Ed etc?
I'll be in the Robin Hood tonight with two ex WLSMS lads... if you're about, pull up a chair and let me buy you a pint...

@Jim259 Hey there.. how you doing? Long story short, I'm in rented accommodation waiting for my house to be built and everything is in storage. When I get everything back, I'll post a few pics.

When I attended this school, It was boys only, under the headship of Mr North.

One teacher I remember was Mr Levine,

Have a few pics of the Brass band if anyones interested.

These would be around 1959/1960
I remember the teacher, Mr Levine. He was my teacher when i was there in 1957/58. I have a photo of the whole class that was taken in the playground

here is the photo of the class taken i think in around 1957/58. split in two to load it

Attachments

• DSC02773 (4).JPG
    DSC02773 (4).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC02773 (5).JPG
    DSC02773 (5).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Back