• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WHAT ABOUT NORTON!

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Norton Motorcyles

There are several mentions about the Norton Motorcycle factory on this site. Certainly a very important part of Aston's past manufacturing history. To find information you can use the search engine to find them Jon:eek:)

Norton

Hey if theres a problem, you just need to contact me, and I will take the stuff off our site. Most of the content we provide is sent in by the many people who access our site. This makes it very difficult to check where its come from. If you provide links I will include your site on the links pages. The photograph with the gentlemen riding Nortons are of my wifes grandfather I had an email from a guy some time ago who told me it was his? so you see its a mighty hard thing to regulate. There are email links on the mainsite or........ [email protected] I am updating the site over the weekend I'll try and get around to removing the offending article at that time.

Whats Jon Price after, free advertising?. He,s moaned about Norton, then Sun cycle articles which he thinks is simular to his, does he not realise the time and effort members of this site have contributed, just to impart stories and memories from their own ,and their past families life in Aston and local areas , because they are proud of it .Oggy

Norton Works

Do we have any past employees out there who would like to help us out here with an article small or large about the above works. Once John and I can get into Brum again to do some photography and research we will add some new content and pictures to the site with regard to the above.

Lets have a shot of whiskey and negociate?

Am i being naive, when I say that I thought that our history belongs to everyone?
Isnt the point of writing down items of history, so that it can be shared with the most people possible?
I have seen messages on this site, from young uns, who find this site a more interesting way to learn about their past and historical facts in general. We live in a computer age now, and its vitally important that children remember their roots, for them to develop into well rounded individuals.
If the article on the site, 'belongs' to Jon, couldnt that be acknowledged, or like Rod suggested, a link made to Jons site.
Let us not cut off our noses to spite our faces :(
The internet is big enough for anyone and everyones ego..........even mine :lol:

Transport - Nortons

I worked at Nortons from 1954 to 1957 I remember it as beng a happy place to work, and when I have more time and gone down "memory lane"
I will write an article.

Annoyed?

Jon this forum, and the website for aston is funded out of our own pockets also. I have removed the article that your are upset with us for using. As I have already stated, the article was posted in good faith.

Added Links

I have added a link to the Aston Brook Street Page so it redirects straight to your website, you might like to use the old photo of the riders on motorcycles on your site Jon?

Thanks Sylvia, that would be most welcome, maybe Jon Price will be interested in your article?

Thanks Di, Iam very proud of my late Mom & Dad. Iam going through threre old Photos at this moment & hope to find any which may be of interest to other members or this fantastic site.
Thanks again.ASTON

Lovely photo of your handsome parents, Aston on the Norton. They were very popular bikes weren't they? Good job we have these photos to look at.
Look forward to seeing some more. Happy photo hunting to you. Thanks.

Mom & Dad, would not let me have a "NORTON" so ended up on one of these xxxxxxxxx
HO ,Happy Happy day. 100,000 miles on this one.Traded it for the new Li model,both from ASTON AUTO on Lichfield Road.
The guy on the back is my old school buddy Bruce Smith, we met at Upper Thomas Street School back in the 50s. He was from Thomas St and I lived in Tower Rd.
The Memories are now flooding back!
ASTON  :D

Lovely photo ASTON, no wonder the memories are flooding back with pictures like that.

Not on this topic, but my Dads other bike was an "AJS" made in Wolverhampton I think. :-\ This photo shows my Mom on the pillion. I am sorry if this is not in line with topic. :-[
ASTON

My younger son's initials are AJS and the significance did not escape me at the time of choosing given names. A.J.S. made the greatest 350 single. Even to this day. You would have thought that pedigree would have been worth present day life not merely a place in the history books.
Regards.

My feelings  also Rupert, so many British manufacturing names  have either gone forever or are owner by overseas companies . :'(
I can remember the days of "I AM BACKING BRITON"  All in vain. Supermarkets & D I Y, is all we have today. That a FREE MARKET, STAND ALONE CLIMATE FOR YOU.LOL :2funny:
Sorry if I have ranted a bit but I love my country and is HISTORY. :tickedoff:
ASTON   

Do you know that you can still buy a brand new Royal Enfield 350cc "Bullet" in India? I think that the British army had them made there. Obviously, when they left they forgot to take the tools back as well. ;D

Rupert, you and me are gonna have to agree to differ on the "best" 350 ever made. ???
For me its gotta be the BSA Gold Star Clubman. O0

Well, you will have to understand that I am only reflecting what I have read, not having actual experience of either product. I understand that the Gold Star was a stunning performer and more purchaseable by the average enthusiast. In racing circles however the racing 350 AJS regularly beat the 350 Norton's of the day and this is what I was refering to. In other respects I will defer to your probable better knowledge of the subject
Regards

No probs, Rupert at the end of the day its all a matter of horses for courses and personal preference. Hey, what the heck as long as they're British, who cares. O0

Frantic,
You are right. They do still make the old Royal Enfield there. Perfect machine for the situatuion if you think abaout it. One cylinder, low, reving, reliable and easier for the home mechanic to maintain. I have never been to India but I suspect they dont have the super higways there in any quantity so as Postie says could be a good horse for that course.
Regards

Alf, I think you will find that India's currency is Rupees not Poungs :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Back