• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

What a great document to have the loan of!
My father was at the school but only as a senior.

yes im chuffed sparks...shame your dad was only at the seniors...

will be away all next week so if anyone needs a look up just post who for on this thread and i will deal with it when i get back

lyn

My school as well but only the senior boys....as was my dad, and uncle......we started off at Burlington Street infant and junior school, then Upper Thomas Street....but what a find....There is 100 year closure on these records, just to make you aware of, so just be careful of what you post, you may be okay...best to find out first.....

Hi Lyn, My husband, Stanley Thomas Terry attended Upper Thomas Street school. He was born in 1931 so would have been at the school in approximately 1936. He was evacuated to Wales when he was 10 years old so that would have been around 1940/41. He lived in Aston. This is from my memory as Stan passed away in 2014.
Anthea.

I went to both upper Thomas st schools, (Juniors and seniors) between 1961-1969. The headmaster I remember was Mr Parker, a small man, with glasses. anyone remember him.
My teachers were Mr Anderson, Mr Frances, Mr Edwards, Mr Evans, Mr Nichols.

Aston Boy....I was there from 1964 to 1968 (seniors)....I can recall the names of the teachers you have mentioned, and somewhere on my computer I have a photo of Mr Parker....,

Lyn, if you find any record of Stanley Thomas Terry (details above) I would be very pleased if you could let me know. Thanks, Anthea.

I have some Terrys in my family tree Anthea, Sarah Terry b 1839/41 married Thomas Gibson and a Benjamin Terry listed as nephew in the Gibson household at Asylum Road in the 1891 census.

It's all tucked away in the filing cabinet at the moment so can't be sure if I'm remembering it correctly.

Hello Eric, I will have a look through my files to see if there is a Terry connection and I will let you know.

Hi Lyn, My husband, Stanley Thomas Terry attended Upper Thomas Street school. He was born in 1931 so would have been at the school in approximately 1936. He was evacuated to Wales when he was 10 years old so that would have been around 1940/41. He lived in Aston. This is from my memory as Stan passed away in 2014.
Anthea.

sorry anthea just to be certain i have gone a couple of years either side but cant find hubby either in admissions or in the section cause of leaving...there is one possible but the writing is awful and that is for what looks like a tom terry but admissions do not give admission dates its only the cause of leaving that give that info i have also cross checked those and no stanley thomas terry cause of leaving evacuated is listed ...there are some terrys though and i am listing them below just in case you may recognise the names and could be rellies

sydney terry
george terry
edward terry
william henry terry

benjamin terry who i found in the cause of leaving records info joined in 1936..born 18.9.31..address 1/94 tower road..parent benjamin..reason for leaving went to juniors...

lyn

Last edited:
Me too Lady P, my mom was born 1909, dad 1906 and both I believe went to Upper Thomas Street School, all a bit before most of the posts on here.
Mom's family lived in Tower Road and Dad's in Barton's Bank (not sure of Dad's dates in Barton's Bank)

thats a shame eric as your mom and dads records would not be in this admissions register...

lyn

I have some Terrys in my family tree Anthea, Sarah Terry b 1839/41 married Thomas Gibson and a Benjamin Terry listed as nephew in the Gibson household at Asylum Road in the 1891 census.

It's all tucked away in the filing cabinet at the moment so can't be sure if I'm remembering it correctly.

Eric, Sorry to say there isn't a match with Sarah Terry (although I have several) or any Gibsons either. Anthea.

Lyn, thank you for looking through the registers for me. Anthea.

anthea as i am not inundated with look up requests i am going to go through the register with a fine tooth comb tomorrow..especially as you seem certain that hubby started infants at the age of 5 at UPS...i shall also go more forward now just in case he maybe started at another school and was moved to UTS after he was 5 although as i said i could not see his name on the intakes list

lyn

Aston Boy....I was there from 1964 to 1968 (seniors)....I can recall the names of the teachers you have mentioned, and somewhere on my computer I have a photo of Mr Parker....,
Hi Astonlad
Well I remember Mr Parker, he gave me the cane often enough. May I ask are your initials J.C ? I lived at 31 Clarendon St. I notice you lived at 27 Clarendon st. if you have a photo of mr Parker may I see it?

Astonboy.

Hi Astonboy...sorry for the delay in replying been down Cornwall .....my Name is John Colin.....and the only people I can recall living at number 31, was a family named of Rutter, and after them was Bratt....all the Rutters boys were older than me, and the only Bratt of my age group was David ?, his brother Alan was a few years older than both of us ....I haven't had chance to look for the photo yet but will try to do this week .....

Hi Aston lad
Well it's a small world, I am David Bratt. Thanks for the Pictures, I recognize a few of the boys and of course Mr Parker and his secretary Mrs Prosser. hows your family? I live in Canada now.

Astonboy

My Dad went to UTS it must have been a wonderful school in 1920 I have never seen such perfect handwriting that my dad had.
Some where I've got Tech Drawing he done whilst attending the school they was super it's a shame that he couldn't gone to a Tech School

ray do you want me to check for your dads name in the boys admissions book i have here? dates from 1920 to 44..i will just need his name and the year you think he started at the school...i wont have this little jewel of a book much longer..have to hand it back soon folks

lyn

ray do you want me to check for your dads name in the boys admissions book i have here? dates from 1920 to 44..i will just need his name and the year you think he started at the school...i wont have this little jewel of a book much longer..have to hand it back soon folks

lyn
Yes please His name was Thomas James Griffiths Born in Aston b 1910
Thanks Ray

ray as your dad was born in 1910 and taking it he started UPS about aged 5 (1915) unfortuntely he wont be in this infant admissions register as the admissions start from 1920 by which time your dad would most likely be going into juniors...sorry ray

lyn

ray as your dad was born in 1910 and taking it he started UPS about aged 5 (1915) unfortuntely he wont be in this infant admissions register as the admissions start from 1920 by which time your dad would most likely be going into juniors...sorry ray

lyn
Many thanks for looking

Hi Lyn, Sorry I missed your reply back in August. Strange. Thanks for looking re my Dad John F Partridge (Jack). Yes, Reg was Dad's youngest brother: Tom, Stan, Frank, Jack, Hilda, Marjorie, Reg and Hazel, (in case anyone remembers the family) Odd that my Dad isn't listed. Many thanks anyway.
Mary

Hi Lyn, Sorry I missed your reply back in August. Strange. Thanks for looking re my Dad John F Partridge (Jack). Yes, Reg was Dad's youngest brother: Tom, Stan, Frank, Jack, Hilda, Marjorie, Reg and Hazel, (in case anyone remembers the family) Odd that my Dad isn't listed. Many thanks anyway.
Mary
l remember Hazel she was in my class at Burlington st school...she was such a talented artist also a pretty girl too.

l remember Hazel she was in my class at Burlington st school...she was such a talented artist also a pretty girl too.
Hi Brenda, Hazel later became a Jehovah's Witness and although we lived fairly close, they didn't really want to get together much. No Christmas cards etc because of the Religion. I used to have a newspaper cutting of her coming 2nd in a Miss Birmingham competition from the early 1950's. Hazel died in her early '70s I think. Speaking of which, I found out not long ago that 9th November seems a very bad date for us Partridges - My father, and Frank, and Hilda, all died on that date. Bit freaky. I haven't looked into the other deaths....Oh gosh, I've just found out that Hazel died in NOVEMBER 2003!! And Stanley in November '84.....No dates given. Blimey!

Last edited:
Hi Brenda, Hazel later became a Jehovah's Witness and although we lived fairly close, they didn't really want to get together much. No Christmas cards etc because of the Religion. I used to have a newspaper cutting of her coming 2nd in a Miss Birmingham competition from the early 1950's. Hazel died in her early '70s I think. Speaking of which, I found out not long ago that 9th November seems a very bad date for us Partridges - My father, and Frank, and Hilda, all died on that date. Bit freaky. I haven't looked into the other deaths....Oh gosh, I've just found out that Hazel died in NOVEMBER 2003!! And Stanley in November '84.....No dates given.

Maryd, sorry to hear about Hazel l guess because l'm still here l expect everyone else to be. l do remember going home with Hazel once, can'nt remember if it was Sutton st or Upper Thomas ST, i was thinking what a long way to walk to school..l lived in Copely ST right opposite the school l could just about roll out of bed into school but l was always late...if l was you l would skip November in future it certainly seems a cursed month for your family..just don't keep up the family tradition...Brenda

Back