• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

C

Colin Richards

Some memories of Upper Thomas Street by Colin Richards
The early 1950’s in an austere high ceiling Victorian School built in the last quarter of the 19th century and Rock and Roll just a couple of years away. Everest Climbed and a new queen crowned. and the Second World War was fast becoming a memory. Those of us who swaggered into the playground seconds before the bell, nipping our cigarettes out to be smoked in the toilets at play time.
Me I was fourteen at the time hard on the outside, unsure on the inside. The hardness was the shell of survival in the tough inner city schools, not that they were called then, but Secondary Moderns, where discipline revolved around the cane, the blackboard ruler, Slipper, and the hand. Milder forms often included chalk or the blackboard rubber being thrown at a transgressor who dared whisper or misbehave when the teacher’s back was turned.
Detention was not on the agenda. That would have meant that the teachers would be required to stay behind to supervise.
I remember the day we were in science class sitting on the high tables with the Bunsen burners attached to the gas spigots. John Grogan deliberately yanked off the rubber hose and turned the gas tap on full; with a class of 42 it was difficult to hear the hiss of the escaping gas.
Several minutes went by and most of the other boys were already aware of what was happening, but to voice it to the teacher was certainly not the way to stay safe.
John knew just when to flip the match, and as the teacher asked about the distinct smell of gas a huge ball of flame shot towards the ceiling. The mad scramble to avoid the fireball sent boys falling everywhere.
The teacher and I forget his name totally lost control, he grabbed Grogan who still had the box of matches in his hand, even he was amazed at the result of his actions. He literally threw John to the floor lashing out at him with his feet and screaming like a banshee. John had curled himself into a ball and it wasn’t until we all ganged up on the teacher that he relented and stormed out of the lab.
The headmaster arrived to read the riot act and viscously caned John across both hands.
It had the desired affect; no one to my knowledge ever pulled the same trick again. And in those days one would never ever tell a parent, whatever punishment was doled out.
One of the memorable and different forms of corporal punishment took place during a woodwork lesson.
Being something of a bully and that was one way of surviving in those days, several of the ‘gang’ had gotten one unfortunate hand spread out on a woodwork bench, after the teacher had left us to work on our own (a big mistake) However with his hand spread I had a quarter chisel and was seeing how fast I could jab it between his fingers, everyone was cheering me on except the unfortunate boy whose fingers were at risk.
Suddenly from know where a chunk of wood bounced off my head, I screamed asking which bastard had done it. Mr Gillard the woodwork teacher stood by the open door and readily admitted it.
I was then subjected to a length of ‘two by one’ across my backside.
Tears were certainly not allowed and the shame of shedding them was far worse than the actual punishment.
Teachers then would often come scrounging the forbidden cigarettes from the smokers amongst us.
And one particular day Mr Hurford strode into the art class and promptly asked me for a cigarette, when I told him I didn’t have any, which happened to be true that day, he made me stand up and patted my pockets. An uneasy smile broke over his face as he found something heavy in my side pocket. He slipped his hand in and withdrew a homemade knuckleduster made of lead with short nails embedded.
My feet didn’t touch the ground, the headmaster laid six strokes of his especially viscous cane across each of my hands.
They were blistered and swollen and yet I was still obliged to continue to write, with the pen and ink provided, and excessive blots on one work was rewarded once more with the cane.
There were several of us who seemed unable to avoid corporal punishment, and several methods were supposed to guarantee that the pain could be avoided.
Urinating over ones hands was supposed to toughen up the skin, all we ever got was smelly hands.
Soap spread over the hands and the fingers sloped downwards so the cane would slide off.
Another failure.
Certain teachers had evil ways of inflicting pain, one particular exponent a Mr Milner would grab the short hairs of ones sideburns and twist lifting at the same time, and the desks with fitted fold up seats did not make for easy egress, consequently the pain lasted several seconds longer. Another was expert at the back of the head slap especially when one was not expecting it, he was also proficient at the feint, pretend he was about to slap your face with his left hand and when you moved away bring up his right. I am amazed a whole generation didn’t leave school with cauliflower ears.
And in spite of what seems almost like torture was not. We were not treated any differently than any other boys our own age, and many other lads were often subject to even more brutality at home. The belt was often given when a father came home from work to learn that his son had done something out of order. When a father figure wasn’t around the boiler stick came into its own.
Years later I actually worked with two of my old teachers, and still retained the respect for them. It was rare that the punishment they doled out was not justified.

Has anybody got anything on upper thomas street school 1920/1930 Also been told they had a "Naughty Book" listing crimes & punishments of pupils did any of your parents or grand parents ever mention being included.

;)Hi Chris, I was a late monitor when a prefect in the seniors at UTS.We would have to take the names of any one who came late & they would be recorded in the Head Masters (Mr York) book. to be acted upon if more than three times late in a week.:|
What the action was I do not know as I had to be on time in order to catch the late commers.:)
ASTON
I hope no one remembers me:666:

Any one remember the Lamb family of Upper Thomas St ( thats the bit beteew Park Lane & Tower RD ) EDITH RAN THE LITTLE SHOP FOR A SHOT WHILE, JUST MIDWAY UP FROM PARK LANE ON THE LEFT GOING TOWARDS TOWER RD.
IN THE 1950S.
JACK (JOHN) & EDITH LAMB- Family:-
Albert
Hilda
Gordon
This photo is of the full family on 60th wedding anny;

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was a late monitor, purely for the reason of missing the assembly and also to finish the homework from the night before. Also, which had to be taken into account was the milk delivery, which i thought was a first come , first served basis, and i was first.This was during the Mr Reeves,Jona and Hurford era.

Its Amazing How Many Kids Went To That SchoolMind You I Don,t Think There Was Much To Choose From There Was Three Of UsStarted At UPT There Was Eight Lads And Two Girls My Two Older Brothers ,And My self , I Remember Those Teachers
Our Kid , Our Billy Fell Down The Stairs There In The Senoir Half They Called The Ambulance At Dinner Time Rushed Him To The General And I Had To Fetch The Old Lady
From Home , She Was Panicking All The Way To The Hospital
Then I Had To Get The No 8, Bus Up To The Flat , [ LODGE RD ] And Fetch The Old Man ,Out Of Work , FromCharles Harriss Bakelite Moulders , He Started Giving Out
About Billy Falling Down The School Stairs ,I Remembers The Lads WhomWas My Best Mates At The Times They Lived Up The Road By The Sweet ShopUp A BIG Terrace
Ronmie Clutchly And His Sister , Caroll Lane , And Roy Edwards Whom Lived UP Clifton
Rd , Later Became A Singer In Lunch Box , And My Very Best Mucker Was Colin Gaskin ,WhomLived InOur Terrace We Both Joined The Forces On The Very Same Day
He Followed Is Dads Footsteps In The Tank Reg; And I Followed My Uncle Albert
Into The Royal Waricks , Great School Upper Thomas Street Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,

My Father John Frederick Partridge (Jack) 1920-2005 went to this school in the late 20's. He lived in Upper Sutton Street. but wasn't one for talking about those times unfortunately.

Look forward to that John I have the one of Bill Eggison the swimmer but have put it on before. If I find it I will post it again. Jean. Found it. Jean.

That's correct John my dad worked with his brother at Hallidays drop forgings. I have the telephone number of one of his old neighbours from Park lane who has some more photo's she is going to let me borrow. They are of the swimming team but I think they were before the dates given. I think her sir name is Hillier and she has a brother by the name of Ken?. Jean.

can any one identify any of the team Kenny Williams goal keeper
Teacher the name Phillips comes to mind but not sure
Hi John,
I sent your photo to Ken. Maybe he will rememeber his team mates? I dont know when he will read my email as he is always off visiting other parts of the world these days.

Dave I don't suppose Ken will remember me but we did thrash Warley in the over fourties 4 by 4 relay mixed relay team freestyle. Jean. Have the medal to prove it. Ask Ken if he remembers Jack Middleton?. Jean.

John I met up with a Hillier and an Eggison and with a bit of luck I have some photo's of the school coming by the weekend also of the area. Jean.

Upper Thomas Street Swimming Team 1950
Headmaster Mr York
teachers Milner and Barker
I know Jimmy Warburton bottom row third right
Kenny William bottom row left
Holding the shield Yates ? I think

Athletics team either 1949 or 1950 ?
Back row Teacher Mr Barr John Turner ? Draper? Davis teachwe ?
front row Maurice Cook Ronnie Mathews Bobby Yates Mansell Bob Houghton

Hello John,
The football photo.I can see Billy Bishop,Kenny Figures,David Smith,Colin Page and Alan Wright.
On the swimming photo.I can see,Mr.York,"killer"Cooper,Reg Milner thats the teachers boys are,David Smith,Bobby Yates and my cousin Jim Smith.

Only ever went to one school Upper Thomas St.In my last year two of us wrote a history of the school,and Mr.york allowed us to look through the log books dated from 1872.Well, what a revelation it began as Yates St. board school,the local people were always at odds with pupils,rioteous behavior was the norm,cannings frequent and a grand old time was had by all these fun loving lads.
I suppose those log books would be in the central library now.

Baron,
I only lived around the corner but was late every day,I used to hide in the alcove where the wash basins were untill they came out of assembly,and then join in like I had been there all the time,the register was not called till we were back in class.

Hi Brenda,

Yes, Hazel Partridge was my Dad's youngest sister. There was an even younger one, but she died aged 2 of Diptheria.I didn't know about artistic talent. I know she came second in the Miss Birmingham competition in the '50s. She was very attractive.

Hazel became a Jehovah's Witness and didn't keep in close touch. But I heard she died in 2005, same year as my Dad, although she was 15 yrs younger.

Thanks for contact.
Maryd

my childhood girl friend at upperthomas st school in the junior section
was a pretty dark hair girl by the name of carol lane whom lived at the top of upper thomas st up the big yard next to hortons the builders they was back house
i think her neibour whom was my friend was ronald crutchley
have a nice day everybody best wishes astonian ;;;;;

Maryd, thank you for answering my query about Hazel, she was a really talented artist always was top of the class in the art catagory, also a very pretty girl with dark curly hair, so l can see why she entered a Miss Birmingham contest, sorry to hear of her death...Brenda

I too remember Hazel Partridge and her wonderful artwork, I seem to recall she won a scholarship to the Art School, do you remember that Brenda.
She was very attractive and I'm sorry to hear of her early death.

Sylvia, l did'nt know Hazel went to art school, l'm sure Miss Hudson our art teacher had encouraged her....just hope Hazel was able to put such talent to good use, Brenda

Brenda, I seem to remember it being announced in Assembly that Hazel had passed for the Art School, she was older than me, and it was a long time ago, perhaps she wasn't able to go because money was tight, If she was in your class you would remember if she left at the same time as you.

Was Miss Hudson also the Science Teacher, I liked her, but I was only in the Seniors for two years before going to Aston Commerical, so my memory may be hazy.

Sylvia, miss hudson was our art teacher, miss prescott was our music teacher....can'nt remember who taught science...as you say it was a long time ago...my last teacher was miss guy.l left dec 1950 but really can'nt remember who left at the same time...brenda

Back