• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Sutton Street

My uncle Jim had his grocer's shop on Upper sutton Street ,I think one of the photos is his shop.
His name was James Arthur Hunt .
We lived on Clifton Road at 154 until the house was knocked down we left in 1969 and moved to Quinton.
I was only 4 so don't really remember Aston
Linda
Hi Linda, as you say your uncle's shop is shown on one of the images, you are so lucky to have this, I have been trying for years to find a picture of my uncle's bicycle shop on Park Lane. In the Kelly's directories your uncle is at No. 86 from 1932 to 1940, and still there in 1967/68.

Attachments

• 86-upper-sutton-st-kellys.jpg
    86-upper-sutton-st-kellys.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 86-upper-sutton-st-map.jpg
    86-upper-sutton-st-map.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 86-upper-sutton-st-img.jpg
    86-upper-sutton-st-img.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 42
Thank you for these , I am really interested in my family history my dad passed away in 2016 at 94 years old but he talked a lot about the shop as he used to help out his brother Jim and I believe they had a horse called Dolly when they did there delivery round.
My dad was Reg Hunt and was born at 154 clifton road, I believe my nan Esther Hunt had something to do with the shop to and Jim's father was James to she passed away 1954 and James their father in 1942 .
Linda

Thank you for these , I am really interested in my family history my dad passed away in 2016 at 94 years old but he talked a lot about the shop as he used to help out his brother Jim and I believe they had a horse called Dolly when they did there delivery round.
My dad was Reg Hunt and was born at 154 clifton road, I believe my nan Esther Hunt had something to do with the shop to and Jim's father was James to she passed away 1954 and James their father in 1942 .
Linda
Amazingly, on this picture you have your uncle's shop and your house would be about where the bonnet is of the white car.

Attachments

• corner-of-uppersuttonst&cliftonrd.jpg
    corner-of-uppersuttonst&cliftonrd.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi, i just discovered these pictures after having a conversation with my mom about the old days. My mother and her twin was born and raised at the coal yard in Clifton Road of which i think i can see the entrance to it in the picture. it was nice to read someone's comment about him pushing a pushchair to the yard to fetch coal and his description of my Grandad who served him. We used to play in the coal yard as children. All of the children that was born at the coal yard are still alive today apart from the eldest who passed away a year ago aged 86 . If anyone has any more pictures of Clifton Road please post them so i can share them with my mother.

Upper Sutton Street Aston ran from (beyond ?) Park Lane to Albert Road. I have enjoyed the photos already posted on this thread. Unfortunately, I lived in the part between Victoria Road and Albert Road (No. 129). I have never been able to find any photos of that stretch. Is anyone aware of any ?

I lived there from 1945 to 1960, and attended Albert Road School and then King Edward’s (both on Albert Road). I then remained at King Edward’s until 1963. At that time Upper Sutton Street was still standing (and I’m fairly sure that the Victoria Road baths building was as well).

Does anybody know when they were demolished ?

Like earlier posters I don’t understand why many of the houses couldn’t have been refurbished. The house that my mother grew up in Bevington Road (of no higher standard than mine) is still there.
I was at King Edwards Aston from 1964 to 1971. Swimming lessons were almost always at Victoria Road Baths, which was demolished after I left. The whole of Park Lane and everywhere nearby was demolished in 1970-71 to make way for the Aston Expressway and, in particular, the Victoria Road interchange.

I must check, but I have a feeling that Upper Sutton Street is the residence on my grandfather's marriage certificate in 1925.

Oops . . . I've mixed up Park Lane with Park Road that ran all the way from Aston Cross to the parish church and was obliterated in the early 70s. Park Lane still exists, although the HP Sauce factory is long gone.

Last edited:
I know that Upper Sutton Street has been mentioned on other threads but after coming home from the last meet-up with a huge pile of 'Brummagem' magazines we discovered this picture. It was taken in 1969 and appeared in a smashing article by Christine M R Cook (nee Birch) in the August 2013 issue.

Graham, my husband (aka Parker), lived at No. 38 and he hadn't seen this view before. There were actually 3 pictures in the magazines of great interest to him, so well worth carrying them home.

Graham's grandparent's ran the Eagle, which was on the corner of Upper Sutton Street and Park Lane, during WW2 until 1944 when his grandfather died from the effects of being gassed during WWI. He had been a stretcher bearer and won the Military Medal. Nan had to move out of the pub due, I expect, to soldiers returning home from the war and needing jobs.

Does anyone else have any memories of Upper Sutton Street in the 1950's/60's?

I was at King Edwards Aston from 1964 to 1971. Swimming lessons were almost always at Victoria Road Baths, which was demolished after I left. The whole of Park Lane and everywhere nearby was demolished in 1970-71 to make way for the Aston Expressway and, in particular, the Victoria Road interchange.

I must check, but I have a feeling that Upper Sutton Street is the residence on my grandfather's marriage certificate in 1925.
My dad grew up at 2/66 Upper Sutton Street from 1913 to 1936, when he married my mum.
The family was Heatherley and there were five children, Minnie, Walter, Albert (dad) Arthur and Ivy. Dad attended Upper Thomas St school and the local Methodist church. As a child I visited with my parents. The house was back to back one of 6 in a court. Everyone shared one toilet and there was a sink at the top of the cellar steps with the only cold water tap. I often think about my grandparents and how they must have struggled to raise their family in such conditions. But the family all turned out well.

My dad grew up at 2/66 Upper Sutton Street from 1913 to 1936, when he married my mum.

I think you can see the entrance to the 'back of 66' houses on the photo in post #31 above, the large arch to the left of the photo behind the last 2 cars. Also you can see the houses on the map in the same post.

I think you can see the entrance to the 'back of 66' houses on the photo in post #31 above, the large arch to the left of the photo behind the last 2 cars. Also you can see the houses on the map in the same post.
Thank you so much!

The family was Heatherley and there were five children, Minnie, Walter, Albert (dad) Arthur and Ivy. Dad attended Upper Thomas St school and the local Methodist church. As a child I visited with my parents. The house was back to back one of 6 in a court. Everyone shared one toilet and there was a sink at the top of the cellar steps with the only cold water tap. I often think about my grandparents and how they must have struggled to raise their family in such conditions. But the family all turned out well.
hi mochaval i often think that as well...i was born in our nans back to back in aston but i have come to the conclusion that we only wonder how they coped is because life is so much easier for us these days especially in terms of living and working conditions..back in the day was just a way of life for folk...thats the way it was ..it was all they knew and who knows that in a hundred years time with the ever constant changes people maybe wondering how on earth we coped o_O

lyn

Last edited:
Hello,

Does anyone have any information on a house that collapsed at 13 upper Sutton street in the 60s/70s? My grandad is trying to find a picture from the newspaper of him and a friend Brian Marshall (kingstanding) near the house thanks

Back