• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Sutton Street

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I know that Upper Sutton Street has been mentioned on other threads but after coming home from the last meet-up with a huge pile of 'Brummagem' magazines we discovered this picture. It was taken in 1969 and appeared in a smashing article by Christine M R Cook (nee Birch) in the August 2013 issue.

Graham, my husband (aka Parker), lived at No. 38 and he hadn't seen this view before. There were actually 3 pictures in the magazines of great interest to him, so well worth carrying them home.

Graham's grandparent's ran the Eagle, which was on the corner of Upper Sutton Street and Park Lane, during WW2 until 1944 when his grandfather died from the effects of being gassed during WWI. He had been a stretcher bearer and won the Military Medal. Nan had to move out of the pub due, I expect, to soldiers returning home from the war and needing jobs.

Does anyone else have any memories of Upper Sutton Street in the 1950's/60's?

Attachments

• Upper Sutton Street.jpg
    Upper Sutton Street.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 109
nice bit of grahams family history pen...my grandad was on horseback and was also gassed..he came back but died in 1938 hard times for our nan who was left with 3 young girls to bring up and she never re married...im sure some members will have memories of this street

lyn

the Eagle   - Copy.jpg This is the top end of Upper Sutton Street close to the junction with Victoria Road....the Eagle was on the other side looking down the street....on the same side of the road as the Eagle was Abbey's the bakers....they made the best bread I have ever tasted....

The Eagle ....

how strange john ive got about 135 of rays pics but not that one...will go and check again i may have it under park lane

lyn

not got it john must have missed it out..saved and in rays pic folder now...i often look through these photos they really are a delight to look at

lyn

Nice pic of the Eagle Aston Lad but I it's Park Lane not Victoria Road. Any idea of the date that this was taken? The lights are on in the pub but the door appears to be boarded up.

The photo you posted is close to Victoria Road....the one I posted is ParkLane.....the fish and chip shop in your photo was the best one in the area...

I know that Upper Sutton Street has been mentioned on other threads but after coming home from the last meet-up with a huge pile of 'Brummagem' magazines we discovered this picture. It was taken in 1969 and appeared in a smashing article by Christine M R Cook (nee Birch) in the August 2013 issue.

Graham, my husband (aka Parker), lived at No. 38 and he hadn't seen this view before. There were actually 3 pictures in the magazines of great interest to him, so well worth carrying them home.

Graham's grandparent's ran the Eagle, which was on the corner of Upper Sutton Street and Park Lane, during WW2 until 1944 when his grandfather died from the effects of being gassed during WWI. He had been a stretcher bearer and won the Military Medal. Nan had to move out of the pub due, I expect, to soldiers returning home from the war and needing jobs.

Does anyone else have any memories of Upper Sutton Street in the 1950's/60's?
I thought there was a chip shop in Upper Sutton Street ? I lived in Clifton Road, this was about 1954.

The photo you posted is close to Victoria Road....the one I posted is ParkLane.....the fish and chip shop in your photo was the best one in the area...
I thought there was a chip shop in Upper Sutton Street ? I lived in Clifton Road, this was about 1954.

My grandmother lived next to the chip shop until about 1952. The name was Fitzsimmons. She worked at Ansells. She moved to Munze street then

Well Lyn, I think you've excelled yourself this time! Graham was thrilled to see all these pictures and pointed out several things. In the last one, third house down from the cafe, was where he lived with his parents and Nan. The last but one photo is the road he walked down to get to Upper Thomas Street school. I think he said it was Tower Road with the Christadelphian Hall on the corner where the Boys' Brigade used to meet. Last but two shows Jelf's cafe on the corner. In the first one, bearing in mind that he was there in the 1950's, the house on the corner of Tower Road was a shop. He was showing me where all the Coronation pictures were taken. Wonderful! We'll definitely be studying these later on and he said to say a big THANK YOU although he'll be saying it himself at the meet-up.

oh this is what makes it all worth while pen...when a photo is posted and it means a lot to someone..no need for thanks grahams delight is enough for me:)

lyn x

Great pictures Lyn, I will add these to the Park lane interactive map when I get chance. These will fill a few gaps on the map.

John

Great pictures Lyn, I will add these to the Park lane interactive map when I get chance. These will fill a few gaps on the map.

John

yes please do that john...i also have about 25 of park lane...i have only looked at them quickly but from memory i know for sure that at least half of them are already on the park lane thread but when i get chance which is not often i will go through them and try and find out if there are any new ones that i have...
even if there are only a couple of news ones its worth it
lyn

I will endeavour to add any that come along and fall within the limits of the map, I know there are many for Clifton Road, Bracebridge Street and Phillips Street which need adding, any more of Park Lane would be a real bonus, any more of Parliament Street would be a SUPER bonus.
Can you imagine if digital cameras were about in the 60s just how many images would be available now (assuming they didn't get lost by pc failure of course).
John

john i have more spare time tomorrow so will compere the park lane ones i have with what is already on the thread just in case i have any new ones..take it you have seen the bracebridge..phillip and clifden road threads..

lyn

always on the lookout for your bracebridge st maurice..mind you i was chuffed to get those a few years back..even more chuffed to get one of my aunties house that i stayed at many times as a child...they are out there somewhere:)

lyn

Upper Sutton Street Aston ran from (beyond ?) Park Lane to Albert Road. I have enjoyed the photos already posted on this thread. Unfortunately, I lived in the part between Victoria Road and Albert Road (No. 129). I have never been able to find any photos of that stretch. Is anyone aware of any ?

I lived there from 1945 to 1960, and attended Albert Road School and then King Edward’s (both on Albert Road). I then remained at King Edward’s until 1963. At that time Upper Sutton Street was still standing (and I’m fairly sure that the Victoria Road baths building was as well).

Does anybody know when they were demolished ?

Like earlier posters I don’t understand why many of the houses couldn’t have been refurbished. The house that my mother grew up in Bevington Road (of no higher standard than mine) is still there.

Upper Sutton Street Aston ran from (beyond ?) Park Lane to Albert Road. I have enjoyed the photos already posted on this thread. Unfortunately, I lived in the part between Victoria Road and Albert Road (No. 129). I have never been able to find any photos of that stretch. Is anyone aware of any ?

I lived there from 1945 to 1960, and attended Albert Road School and then King Edward’s (both on Albert Road). I then remained at King Edward’s until 1963. At that time Upper Sutton Street was still standing (and I’m fairly sure that the Victoria Road baths building was as well).

Does anybody know when they were demolished ?

Like earlier posters I don’t understand why many of the houses couldn’t have been refurbished. The house that my mother grew up in Bevington Road (of no higher standard than mine) is still there.
yer they were solid.not like some of the ones thrown up now

Most of that area was pulled down between 1969 and 1971 .....
Thanks for the info on demolition dates. Sadly, you have depressed me. In 1966 I became 21 - got my first proper camera - and a fairly basic car. And I stayed in the midlands. So endless opportunities to capture the place in my own photos. Why does one only get interested once the evidence has gone (like family history I suppose) ?

My uncle Jim had his grocer's shop on Upper sutton Street ,I think one of the photos is his shop.
His name was James Arthur Hunt .
We lived on Clifton Road at 154 until the house was knocked down we left in 1969 and moved to Quinton.
I was only 4 so don't really remember Aston
Linda

Back