• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tony Hancock

I did know where he is now but I think he was in a slightly different place before, wasn't he?
Can understand why you were confused.

I walk past Tony most days and I've just looked now and I'm convinced the positioning of the memorial has moved slightly, I think he was in a more central position previously !
Rob.

Quote from Birmingham City Council - Tony Hancock

A commemorative plaque on the exterior of 41 Southam Road commemorates his birth. A statue in his memory stands in Old Square - appropriately the former home of the Birmingham Blood Transfusion Service. The statue was unveiled by Sir Harry Secombe in 1996. It has since been moved a few yards, to the centre of Old Square.

His plaques:

In Hall Green - Southam Road

Old Square

Close up of the "statue" (if you would call it that) that I took over 3 years ago (not much point in me taking new shots in the rain today)

Thanks for that information confirming they had moved Tony to a slightly different position. I think it might have been when they filled in that underpass where there were some shops in the old Square.

Interesting about being near to the old Blood Donor place - I wonder whether that was intentional or a coincidence?!

My grandmother lived in Hall Green for a while, in the next road to his family. I remember her telling us.

Thanks for that information confirming they had moved Tony to a slightly different position. I think it might have been when they filled in that underpass where there were some shops in the old Square.

Interesting about being near to the old Blood Donor place - I wonder whether that was intentional or a coincidence?!

My grandmother lived in Hall Green for a while, in the next road to his family. I remember her telling us.

i agree sparks...when he is now is not where he started...thanks for the pics mhe and ell....

lyn

Back