• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tony Hancock

M

Mossy

Can somebody tell me if Tony Hancock's memorial is still in the what was the Minories i haven't been back to Brum City centre for two years.
I was coming up for the 23rd Jazz festival but can't make it.

Mossy

The Tony Hancock statue is still there, Mossy - and the Jazz Festival ain't worth the effort this year. I know it's mostly free, but I'd rather pay and see someone good, personally!
George Melly RIP

What has happened to our great statues

With the risk of going off topic, I saw George Melly with John Chilton Foot Warmers?? at the Grand Hotel a couple of times in the 1980s, what a performer, they were great nights. George was such a colourful character and will be sadly missed.

statues

Thank you for the reply Charlie,and about theJazz Fest lol
i agree with Sylv George Melly R I P

Maurice

Hancock

Thank you Alf,has that memorial been moved from it's original position

Mossy:)

Here you are Mossy,
Not a good photo, but the best I could do as someone in their wisdom had put a christmas tree in front of it.

Attachments

• Tony Hancock.jpg
    Tony Hancock.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1
Forgot earlier in the week to post up details of a new radio documentary regarding Tony Hancock.

Repeat broadcast tomorrow (Friday 16 Jan) at 11. pm BBC Radio 4. That's 11 pm in the evening!

Programme series is called "Great Lives". Not sure if the BBC keep it on the internet for a week afterwards.

Apropos of nothing in particular, an Australian cousin of mine produced Tony Hancocks last TV performance, before Tony's sad demise.

starbank - sorry no; the cousin, (second or third to my father) James, was the founding General Manager of ATN7 in Sydney. I've never communicated with him, but my father used to keep in-touch with his parents. I believe his son worked in the production team too. I was told a few things concerning Tony Hancock, and of last days, but it was so long ago that I can no longer recall; or rather, I've got stuff mixed-up with what I've subsequently heard, and can no longer be sure of what I was told - if that makes sense? The only thing that has stuck in my memory, is that Jame's daughter, Jennifer (now the Australian author, Jennifer Rowe) got Tony Hancock's autograph, whilst he was in the TV studio.

Typical! My one half-claim to fame and I don't have a ripping yarn to tell!

JohnO, you have some illustrious relatives "down under"!

Your distant cousin James "Jim" Oswin (born 1923) was, as you say, founding General Manager of ATN7 (Sydney). During the 1960s he was responsible for the creation of two classic Australian TV comedy series: My Name's McGooley, What's Yours? and The Mavis Bramston Show, which were both very popular. In 1973 he became Head (Permanent Secretary) of the Australian Government's Department of the Media, and in 1975-1976 served as Australia's ambassador to UNESCO in Paris. He is pictured below in 1974 (on the right) with Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam and the PM's Advisor on Women's Affairs Elizabeth Reid. [By courtesy of the National Library of Australia.]

Jim Oswin's daughter Jennifer Rowe (born 1948) is as you say a renowned Australian author. My children were great fans of the books she published under the pseudonym "Emily Rodda".

[There are YouTube (colour) video clips of Tony Hancock's last TV series made in Sydney, Australia, in April - June 1968. They're a bit sad, and I didn't have the heart to post the links. Anyone who's interested can find them easily enough.]

Last edited:
I have all that last Australian series on VHS tape.I must get around to transfering it to DVD.As you say,it is very sad to watch.
Keegs.

Thylacine, thanks mate! I had purposely left out his surname! I should have known that the 'ferrets' amongst us would root-out the 'chapter and verse' of it all!

It seems now to be almost a 'family business' down there. Several of Jim's off-spring/grandchildren work within the TV and film-industry ... my cousin Martin is a multi-award winner, sound/dialogue mixer, having worked on ''The Lord of the Rings'' and dozens of other films too.

Alas, those of us left here in 'Good old Blighty' have no such claims to fame.

Sorry if I was "too revealing" there, John! It was actually Jennifer Rowe who led me to her father: if you'd just called her Jennifer I wouldn't have been able to crack the "Da Vinci Code".

You are of course famous here on the BHF! View attachment 58803

11_5_12.gif
Don't mind me ... just discovering stuff, is all ...

IMGP0425.jpg

I thought that other Hancock fans on the forum may appriciate this old clipping that i found.

I went into town earlier this week and it seems that the Tony Hancock statue is missing from the site outside the old Lewis' building. Anyone know where it has gone?

hi sylvia...not surprised its gone..i would imagine it has been removed to make way for the new metro track..hopefully it will be re placed nearby at some point...

lyn

It's usual spot is in Old Square opposite Tesco Express (near the courts end of Corporation Street). Not on the Midland Metro extension. It was never on Upper Bull Street, if that's where you were.

Big road works at the Bull Street / Colmore Row junction of Colmore Square / Colmore Circus Queensway (pedestrians have to walk around the barriers where directed)

Back