• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Theodore Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...just wondered if anyone has pics of theodore st..aston please..im struggling..cant find a single one up to now....

many thanks...

lyn

Here you are Lyn just for your perseverance
Replacement photo .

Theadore%20Street%20N.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bless you john..well i didnt know that there was a sally army there

thank you

lyn

This is really interesting to me - I've joined the forum to see this picture! My great grandparents were married at St Stephens in 1877, which I think is this little church before it became a Salvation army mission hall. They both gave their address as Theodore street, but it doesn't exist any more so I was interested to find out where it was.

Chrissie, I think you are mistaken St. Stephen's Church was in Newtown Row, but just a stone's throw from Theodore Street. If you put St. Stephens Church in the search engine you may be lucky enough to find a photo.

Hi, I lived in Theodore Street up until 1960, the Clarke family, Number 1 back of 72....and would really like a picture, I don't seem to be able to open the one already posted - I just get a blank page - can anyone help?
thanks
Sandie....

Hi, did you ever manage to get a photo of Theodore street? My dad was born there in 46 and would love to see a picture. I can’t seem to get one anywhere

hello sam that was one of the photos we lost when the forum was hacked...we are slowly trying to repost them its a big task as we lost about 66000 images...i will see if i still have that one and repost if i do...

lyn

hi sam i do have it but if you go to post 2 it has been replaced by another moderator...i will keep searching for anymore and post them here if i find any so keep in touch with the forum also check out the summer lane thread as it maybe of interest to your dad..

lyn

Hi guys

I am new to this forum today and came across it by accident.

I am trying to do my in laws family tree which is quite onerous given my father in law was 1 of 11 and my mother in law 1 of 16. I have father in laws national service cert from 1940 and it gives his address then as 4/29 Theodore St, Birmingham 19.

It seems that from other posts that the street is no longer there and possibly demolished for new homes. However, I cant see any photos posted on the forum (I dont know why either) of which colleagues have attached so have no ideas of what the place actually looked like so am now at a loss of where he resided.

I do know that he left there around 1950 and moved to the Kingstanding area which I believe is just a few miles locally away.

All I have to go on is his name - George Summlar and the address of 4/29 Theodore St. and believe he was born in Aston.

I dont live in Birmingham - I am in Cornwall so dont know the area however if anyone remembers him or has any pictures of the house/area I would be happy to receive them.

Thanks in advance

Hi Rabster and welcome to the forum, I don't know if you have this map but this will start the ball rolling.

Attachments

• 4bk29-theodore-st-map.jpg
    4bk29-theodore-st-map.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
George Edward Summlar (assuming it's the correct one) is listed at 187 Turf Pitts Lane on the 1939 register with wife Irene (nee Carter). Parents Herbert & Emily are at 22 Dunedin Road, they also appear to move to Kingstanding in 1950s.

A little tricky if you're going further back, George's bith appears to be registered as Sumner (as does Herbert's) and the name varies, on one census Herbert's father is even possibly listed as Smith.

Last edited:
George Edward Summlar (assuming it's the correct one) is listed at 187 Turf Pitts Lane on the 1939 register with wife Irene (nee Carter). Parents Herbert & Emily are at 22 Dunedin Road, they also appear to move to Kingstanding in 1950s.

A little tricky if you're going further back, George's bith appears to be registered as Sumner (as does Herbert's) and the name varies, on one census Herbert's father is even possibly listed as Smith.
Hi MWS
You have hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the very quick response.
GES was my father in law (passed 2001) and Irene passed in 1961(aged only 44).
I also believe that GES sister lived at Dunedin Rd until she passed some time in the 90's - which sister I have no ideas but I have been told of that address. Is Turf Pits Lane in the same area as Dunedin Rd, Theodore St or Kingstanding?
We also knew that the family name had at some point changed due to some administration error but we do now know who GES parents were so that opens up another thread. We also believe that possibly Emily was from Portsmouth but will pursue.
This is all really appreciated and thanks for taking the time to post. We live in Cornwall so doing everything long distance as there are not many family members left who can assist us.

Hi MWS
You have hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the very quick response.
GES was my father in law (passed 2001) and Irene passed in 1961(aged only 44).
I also believe that GES sister lived at Dunedin Rd until she passed some time in the 90's - which sister I have no ideas but I have been told of that address. Is Turf Pits Lane in the same area as Dunedin Rd, Theodore St or Kingstanding?
We also knew that the family name had at some point changed due to some administration error but we do now know who GES parents were so that opens up another thread. We also believe that possibly Emily was from Portsmouth but will pursue.
This is all really appreciated and thanks for taking the time to post. We live in Cornwall so doing everything long distance as there are not many family members left who can assist us.

I think it is possible that it was actually Turfpits Lane which is about a couple of miles from Dunedin Road. Possible that it was a sister in law, George's youngest brother is still listed there in the 1960s.

I don't think Emily was from Portsmouth (I think Bham). If you do need any help probably best to start a new thread (looks to be some strangeness on the 1911 census).

Last edited:
I think that possibly Herbert and Emily are my great great grandparents. If they had a daughter (amongst their many children) called Louisa Alice then it's the same family. My great gran and all of her children lived in Kingstanding from the late 1950s.

Herbert & Emily did have a daughter Louisa Alice b1904 (4th of 7 and 3 sons). As you probably know she married George Lewis Simkins 13 Apr 1925.

Back