• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

There's a bowls club on the left. They might of widened the pavement. Houses not built for parked cars. The no 1 bus goes up and down College Road.

If Google Earth is run along the road some of the original garden walls and privet hedges are still there but the gate posts and gates have gone.

I walked down there yesterday and they all park cars where the gardens were! Half on the pavement as well. A lot of the houses are split into flats now.

Wow!
We lived off Cliveden Avenue, I walked down that road so many times.
Do you know where the lodge house was actually situated - was it at the front of the photograph or futher down the avenue?

A 1950s view of Warwick Road, Acocks Green. A Pearks van on the left.
What happened to their chain of grocery shops?
Can't quite read the name on the tall building on the right but it might be a Midland Bank.
Warwick Rd Acocks Green.jpg

The view today ... the building on the right survives but the folks in the 1950s pic would have been puzzled by the new name.
CaptureX.JPG

Great first photo. Probably is a Midland Bank, I can see one of them night safe thingies

Last edited:
Here is the view from what is now Centenary Square through to Chamberlain Square from the 1950's up to last year in 2017. In the first image we are looking down from the top end of Edmund Street, the second one is when the first central library was demolished, the third shows the building that replaced it. The final image shows the end of that buildings days.

View from Centenry square to Chamberlain square 1950's tp 2017.jpg

Last edited:
The man on the corner looks at the shop and would never have guessed what it's name would be some time in the future.
NorhtfieldVillage.jpg

The building and it's clock still there on the corner ... and other buildings ...
Northfield2.JPG

nice to see a lot of the buildings on the left still in tact phil but the name of the shop on the corner...:D

lyn

Then and Now at Longbridge
Pre 1920 view from Lickey Road looking towards Birmingham near where Bristol Road turns towards Rubery
1_BristolRdAustin.jpg
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/page-259#post-623043

Similar view in 2018
2_Longbridge2018.JPG

An aerial view dated 1935 (Britainfromabove EPW047802). The vast Austin Motor factory covers most of the area but the Longbridge Pumping Station with it's tall chimney stands out. Phyllis Nicklin photographed it in 1959 https://epapers.bham.ac.uk/425/1/bb0254.jpg
3_Longbridge1935.jpg

An aerial view dated 2018. It's certainly different but the River Rea is still there ...:)
4_LongbridgeiOS.jpg

An enlargement of the Longbridge Pumping Station. Birmingham Corporation Water Works made it look like a church as they did with some other pumping stations.
5_LongbridgePumpStation.JPG

Last edited:
In 1894 George Cadbury opened the Selly Oak Institute, 648, Bristol Road and a postcard view shows it in 1900. Trams were running on this part of the Bristol Road.
Selly Oak 1900.JPG

Tram services on the Bristol Road ended in 1952 so the date of this photo is probably a year or two before that date. The crew had stopped to get a jug of tea from a cafe just out of shot on the right.
72tramY.jpg

In November 1953 this photo (D.J.Norton) was taken. Selly Oak Radio Supplies were now probably selling more televisions. The tram tracks and overhead wires are gone but the cafe is still there.
654BristolRoad.jpg

Today the original Selly Oak Institute building (Grade 2 listed) is still there but now apparently renamed the Selly Oak Centre. The shops have been converted to houses.
SellyOakCtr.JPG

Sometimes a house like this one in Farquahar Road attracts postcard photographers. It shows on a 1914 map and the first postcard in a winter scene appears to be this one
1_Farquahar.jpg

Then someone came along in summer and maybe a different year and took this one.
2_Farquahar.jpg

Then the Google streetcar cruised along Farquahar Rd and took this pic. The vegetation is profuse and maybe that large tree was the small one seen in the photo 100 years earlier. https://goo.gl/maps/KMwSNgGzGip
3_Farquahar.jpg

Google also produced an aerial view which shows how large the house actually is. It is probably not a private domestic house now.
4_Farquhar.jpg

Farquahar .... unusual name for a road ... and a wealthy Birmingham resident had it built all those years ago.

Last edited:
A postcard view of the Hagley Road opposite the Kings Head and the terminus for the No 34 tram.
Unfortunately no date other than it was earlier than 1930 when the tram service was discontinued.
Interesting horse drawn vehicle in the view ...
1bearwood.jpg

The view today shows the buildings still there but steel shutters cover shop windows and shop signs are large ... I suppose it is a typical modern view we are used to ...
2Bearwood.JPG

Last edited:
Over the years I have passed this junction on the border of Birmingham and Solihull at Warwick Road and Lincoln Road very many times. The only real change I can remember is the demolition of the laundry just past the group of shops on the Warwick Road.

Warwich Rd -Lincoln Road.jpg

As I mentioned the laundry in my previous post I thought I would do a before and after image of that site.

Acocks Green Warwick Road Laundry,.jpg

Lordswood Road 1952, shop names to remember, a basic bus shelter, and Laurel and Hardy were on at the Hippodrome ...
27Lordswood_Road.jpg

Today, the buildings above the shops have not changed much ...
LordswoodRd.jpg

In the early 1950s you could stop your car outside a garage like this, toot your horn, and a man would come out and fill your tank with petrol.
Metchley Lane in 1952.
47MetchleyLane.jpg
image from D.J.Norton with location given as opposite today's Malt Close.

In 1961 Phyliss Nicklin photographed those cottages next to the garage described as
'Harborne Metchley Lane, Old Cottages by Garage'
MetchleyCottagesbyGaragePhyliss Nicklin1961.jpg

Today all the buildings in the old pic have long been demolished and new houses built opposite Malt Close.
MetchleyToday.jpg
However I cannot locate the cottages ajoining the large house on the only old map I have.

I remember those cottages and garage in "Metchley Lane", don't like the new ones, though neat, I came up when mom died 2003, and traveled around my old haunts, all gone, some of the old pubs were there but must be gone now. I thought no atmosphere,,everywhere bland, go to a 1000 other city's identical buildings, (old Brum) I knew and loved breathed atmosphere now ??? Paul

Back