• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The White Horse. New John Street/West

Hi Sylvia

I posted one here the other day, but it might be a little too early, by the way it was on the corner of New John St West and Unett St.
and here is another one a little later

the white house unett st.jpg

Phil

HockleyHockleyBrookWhiteHouse1958.jpg

Photo replaced by what I think is the same photo

Last edited by a moderator:
My eldest sister told me yesterday that one of our mother's aunt had this property after it had ceased being a pub and turned it into a cafe called the DOT. Apparently it was very successful and my sister as a child remembers going to many family parties there and they had a grand piano probably in that upstairs room with the bay window. All before I was born, if you don't mind I will print a copy of the photo to show her.

Hi Sylvia

It is still a pub today. I have a photo of it in the 1850's and a current one. If you want either, please let me know.

Shortie

Shortie, yes I would very much like to see the photos of The White Horse that you have. I wonder if my sister was correct in what she told me? or whether after our great aunt died in the 1930s it reverted back to a pub. She has often mention the DOT cafe but only told me about the White Horse yesterday.

Hi Sylvia

Photos (from a book, so not as good as they might be) of the White Horse, 1850 and 2008 - but it looks exactly like this today (I pass it frequently).

I am interested in this pub, as my 2 x gt grandparents lived for a time in Unett Street, and as they were strict Methodist and teetotal, I wonder what their thoughts were. I look at it now and think that they would have walked past it, looked at it, but more than likely never went inside.

I have no idea if it was once a cafe, but to be honest nothing would surprise me now. I think it is certainly possible, but the best way to check is ask one of the Forum members who has the Kelly's directories to take a look for you. They are all very good, so you will know soon enough.

Shortie

Lost Photos replaced by what I think is the same photo as original

The%20White%20Horse%2C%20%26.jpg

Phil, have you noticed it was called the White HOUSE at that time? Just look at the lettering - or perhaps someone could not spell Horse??

Shortie

Just taken another look in my book, and it was always the White House, not White Horse. I have always referred to it as White Horse, so perhaps I am not on my own, unless there was another pub.

Shortie

Kellys for 1921, 1932, 1936 and 1939 all show the White House (99 Unett St) as a pub. Can't say anything about 1922-31 though.
mike

Always cnamed the White House since the early '60's.

Currently having a face lift - repainted walls white - were lining windows in Black yesterday.

Phil, have you noticed it was called the White HOUSE at that time? Just look at the lettering - or perhaps someone could not spell Horse??

Shortie

Shortie

I just assumed it was a typo on the part of Sylvia, and it was The White Horse that she meant.

Phil

I always knew the pub as the White House when I was an apprentice at Turner Bros in the 60's, and after leaving that area I returned to working in Key Hill in the 70's. One of the landlords in the 70's was a NewZealander who previously kept the Florin in Icknield St amongst others.

Thanks Shortie and other members for your input. So the photos are of the White House, a pub I have passed many times. Perhaps the answer is that there was another pub in New John Street or New John Street West called the White Horse which my g. aunt turned into a cafe called The Dot,
this was in the early 1930s as she died in 1936.

sylia
There was a White Horse in New John St West, but it was on the corner of New Town Row, and was listed as 134 New Town row. however it was listed as the White Horse pub in 1912, 1921, 1932, 1933 and 1936, so doesn't look very promising as a cafe.
Mike

There was a pub that closed and was converted into a cafe and it was on the corner of Hanley St. and Cecil St. the name escapes me but the cafe was called Wraggies Cafe and it was around 1966/7

It is not possible to see whether it is on the corner of Cecil St, but certainly close to the corner , on Hanley St was The White Swan. It disappeared from the directories between 1956 and 1962. From 1962 no businesses were listed in kellys in that part of Hanley St. Small cafes often were not listed though.
m ike

should be a thread for the white horse..pub still up and running recently under new managment

lyn

Back