• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Springfield Street

G

Grace

I've had a look at my map for this street and having found it wondered if anyone knows if any of the old houses are still standing, I think St.Marks church is almost next door. The area seems to have undergone major demolition. Any help appreciated.

HI GRACE
Where Is Your Springfield Street ,IPRESUME You Are Looking InBrum -
What PartOf Brum Is It And What Year Are You Looking For ?.

In my old Wakelin's Street Guide there is only one Springfield STREET, which ran from 261 King Edward's Road, Birmingham.18. Your neck of the woods Astonian.

HI SYLVIA
Yes You Are Quite Right Sylva,It Was My Neck Of The Woods
I LIVED At 243 King edwards Rd And Springfield Street Was Less Than One Hundred Yards From Our Front Door When You Reached The Corner Of
King Edwards Rd 261 And 260 Was Mrs Pearsons A Lovely Lady She Was
I Used To Run Errands For Her A Couple Of Times AWEEK, She Would Wrapp Money Up InA Bag And I Would Have To Go Down To The Midland Bank To Pay InAnd Fetch Her Change Back, When I Came Back With The Change ,
She Always Said What Sweets You Want I Always Had The Sugar Mice
And Also She Would Give Me Half A Crown As Well, But The Number 261
King Edwards Rd Was Woods The Fruit And Veg Shop And That Was The Beginning Of Springfield Street,On The Oppersite Side Of Springfield St Was An Very Old Lady Always Sitting In A Rocking Chair Always With A Shawl Wrapped Around Her She Eventualy Died Afew Doors From Her Wa The Dukes Family ,They Kept Racig Pigeons And Afew Doors FromThem In The Long Gardens That Went Right Back Was Mr Hands .I Knew Nearly All The Names Around The Block Of Spring Field Street And Cope St, And Stour St
Spring Hill Passage And The Monument Rd , I Think Our Friend Whom Is On About The Church Is Slightly Getting It Wrong We Had A Church In The Other Side Of King Edwards Rd , First Of All Sylv, King Edwards Rd Is Devided By The Monument Rd It Comes In Two Halfs The Church Would Have Been One Of The Two Churchs As You Crossed The King Edwards Rd
In The Oppersite Direction FromOur House Yet Again About Another 199 Yards To The Corner Cross Over The Monument Rd Walk Down A Little Way You Would Come To St Marks Street Yet Again This Rd Is Devided Ito
Two Halfs One On Your Left Of King Edwards Rd And One On Your Right Hand Side Of King Edwards Rd Now Thats Where You Would Have Found St Marks Church And If YouCome Back Onto The King Edwards Rd ,
Turn Left T Contine Down The King Edwards Rd Heading Towards The City Centre Passing Anditon St ,,Alexander Rd Goocge Street Nelson St
School You Would Come To The Other Church That Them Two Churches Was Demolished Around The 1955 Era , If That One Was Still Standing It Would Have Only Been Yards From The Back ENTRANCE To The ICC Centre,The Whole Of Lady wood Has Been Redeveloped , Especialy Spring Field Street The Whole Of Lady wood Had Its Characters And Most Certanly TheWhole Of Lady Wood Was Ful Of Character, Just As Aston ,
And Dear Old King Standing Un The Days Of The Teddy Boys And The Carrying Of Bed Springs To Use As Weapons BEST Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;

Hi all,

Just found this thread. I'm sure there was a Springfield St in the Spring Hill area. I remember my father talking about it. The whole area has been bulldozed now. My grandfather was married in St Marks Church and he gives his address as Spring Hill. I will try and find out more.

Springfield St ran from King Edwards Rd to Cope St, just off Monument Rd at the Spring Hill end.

Thanks Phil. I was sure that there was and thought that the info given by Astonian didn't quite ring true.

hi toad
am i abit late reading but i think you are getting me mixed up with some body elses thread ; because i grew up with the kids of spring ffield street and i lived at 243 king edwards rd which was about ninety yrds from springfield street there aint nothink i do not know about the street rest assured ;
i had already stated the st ran btween king edwards rd and cope street and the other side of the block which asback entries leadig into stour street
which i also stated ; so what part have i mislead you or any other member of the forum i would certainly appreciate you informing me about any subject or info where i ahave mislead anybody at any other time on this forum ; have a nice day best wishes as always astonian ;;

hi toad
yes it me again ;i am really getting myself in abit of a puzzle here i am questing myself about where i have mislead you ; surely you have mislead
your self because in earlrier thread i have told people on here about st marks chuch and that there was two king edwards rds
across the rdfrom each oher one was a long king edwards rd and one was the small one which is on the block of spring field rd
which was stated betwen cope street and king edwards rd[ thats what i stated many many time over the years i have been on here when this subject arrives the king edwards rd [ small takes you down king edwards rd through sprin gill passage on to the bottom end of spring hill ; and the front entrance to steward st school which al us of the kids went there [ juniorand infants s]
go back up the hill of the passage up king edwards rd you come to the cross rds which is the long section of the king edwards rd
once you strart walking down king edwards rd you havr a horde trough on your right hand side of the rd which is also what was know of the street was st arks street the big one ; on your left was litle st maks street and that was where st maks church up until about 1958 beforebeing demolished
and it became a cash and carry ware house and thats wher i worked go along little st marks street you are on theright hans side of spring hill ;
and he sand pitts ; i can only presume you have got your self mislead ; have a nice day best wishes to you and phil ; astonian ;;;;;

Hi Astonian. My sincere apologies for questioning your knowledge of the area. In my excitment at seeing the post I didn't read your reply to Sylvia all the way through. I saw King Edwards Road which I didn't recall from the area and your name and immediately sprung to the conclusion that you were talking about the Aston area of Birmingham. I have since read the post slowly and throughly and see that I was very wrong in my conclusions. I will try and be more diligent in future. Apologies again.

I've had a look at my map for this street and having found it wondered if anyone knows if any of the old houses are still standing, I think St.Marks church is almost next door. The area seems to have undergone major demolition. Any help appreciated.
My grandmother family the stokes lived at number 56 2bk Springfield.

Hi Heather
Just read your request regarding springfield street ,now do you mean ladywood birmingham18 as it was in those days ? ,
Because if you do i am a ladywood lad, if you are enquiring about that street , sadly i have to tell you it as been removed
Off the map ,as i lived on the same block kingedwards road at 243 and the chimney sweep lived right next door
Our houses was the only two joined together he was Albert [ Bonna ] Hollond if anybody recalls him but getting back on track the houses in springfield street was all demolished ,but they kept the next street to it that was stour street;
Heather i see you have also refered to smethick in which case if its smethwick you are after and i cannot say about that one but [ Ladywood springfield street as disapeared over the last twelve months i have been back visting and our old house is a huge block of flats it was soul destroying to see it and king edwards rd as been shortenend the council have made a right mess of ladywood never to mention Ladywood ,may i say i cannot recall there being a Ladywood in smethwick
Best wishes Astonian;;;;

Hi Heather

Half of Springfield Street Ladywood still remains but there are none of the old houses remaining, all there are now are new buildings. I'm attaching a map to clarify some earlier questions and a couple of photos of how it used to be.

springfield st.JPGLadywood Springfield Street.jpgSpringfield St Outdoor Brookfields.jpg

It looks rather like the coal merchant and a milkman are making deliveries in the sepia photo. Notable in the b and w photo is the beer seller sticking it out to the bitter end. (pun intended) ;)

Alan the off licenced stopped trading about two years before the slum cleareance was decided upon
and i can tell you the house prior to there business was closed for donkeys years boarded up like that as you see it
yes he or she would come out early for there milk as its usealy dropped off in the early morning not many people went in there they stopped selling the sweets for the kids and eventualy they stopped pulling the beer in the jugs they was an olderly couple quite posh and you could never get the crisp you wanted it was a poor family street rough and ready and they would take any think i am trying to think of there names we only lived around the corner to it oh and they closed very early most nights Astonian;;;

I lived in 1/63 Springfield St down the first entry from Cope St end till 1955 , . Astonian to my knowledge there was only to flavour of crisps plain with the bag of salt or oxo , there was of course nibbits . The shop on the cnr of Springfield and Cope used to sell what they called pop , purple in colour on top of the counter . I think they must have made it them selves using sherbert powder or somesuch there was no life in it at all water with a colour ughhhh

yes and you could not get either sold out sunday nights wsnt it a pub on the corner in thase you would have known the mosedales and old wolly half cast family the shop i recall was on the corner of stour street and the news agents just passing springfield street and he was ab little fatb kid whem played with michael cothman when they made the film up and down through the nic nak entry ways from cope street and springfield street and of course coming out at stour street what about the jinks family or is this beforeyour time Astonian ;;;;

they lived in that big yard behind your house mike coughman was on the bbc news a couple of weeks ago searching for the guys whom acted with in in the short film is request on the bbc he put a photograpgh of them wanted to know how many are left and asked them to get in toch with him he lives in tamworth as soon as it was shown i spotted one or to of them straight away i am ttrying tstonian;;;;o think of there name by the way the guy i called wolly is proper name was jeff he alwys wore a leather jacket like the fonz the little fat kid is nan ran that news agents i was wondering the shop at the corner was a girl name joy it was her parents kept a red jag and apart from that there was abit of a sweet shop passing the news agentsabout half way up before you got to the station pub do you recall that by the way the shop along from you in springfield street was clemts he was more like to make that horrible stuff Astonian;;;;;;;

they lived in that big yard behind your house mike coughman was on the bbc news a couple of weeks ago searching for the guys whom acted with in in the short film is request on the bbc he put a photograpgh of them wanted to know how many are left and asked them to get in toch with him he lives in tamworth as soon as it was shown i spotted one or to of them straight away i am ttrying tstonian;;;;o think of there name by the way the guy i called wolly is proper name was jeff he alwys wore a leather jacket like the fonz the little fat kid is nan ran that news agents i was wondering the shop at the corner was a girl name joy it was her parents kept a red jag and apart from that there was abit of a sweet shop passing the news agentsabout half way up before you got to the station pub do you recall that by the way the shop along from you in springfield street was clemts he was more like to make that horrible stuff Astonian;;;;;;;

The Clements another name from the past, I do remember that shop half way up , get to the corner turn left and have your barnet cut by Les & Ray do you remember them. When we moved in 1955 , we moved to William St off Broad St/Granville St who moved into a shop in Granville St shortly after Les & Ray next to the greengrocer where a few years later I'd get a part time job

Yes i certanily remeber them i got my hair cut regular for years in that shop, i had alot of friends in springfield street we only lived around the corner spent alot of time with quite afew baddens if i say so myself even from shakespear street as years rolled and i eventualy got married but as i previuosly mentionioned the mosedale kid it was strange forty years or more it works out that his wife was my wifes friend many years ago when they was growing up when we wrote and told her she could not get over the surprize Albert was one of my friends as well all those years ago ; Astonian;;;;

A photo of the Crown public house on the corner of Springfield Street as it has been mentioned, with a photo of the other corner of the street looking down Cope Street. I'm also adding a better copy of the image looking down Springfield Street.

Ladywood Springfield Str Crown.jpgLadywood Cope St - Springfield St.JPGLadywood Springfield Street 1960s.jpg

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for the down loading the photographs to us all they are of brillient quailitity they certainly bring back
Memories to me the shop you see just up from the pub was the newsagents i have just been talkng about
The lad there was playing in the film with michael coughman , yes it was a better picture of springfield street
So i would like to asked your permission to down load a copy of them if you do not mind ? . Astonian;;;;

Alan

They are not my photos, just what I have collected mostly off the internet. So if I have posted then to the forum you are quite welcome to help yourself. As long as you understand as they do not belong to me I cannot give you permission to use them for commercial purposes.

A photo of the Crown public house on the corner of Springfield Street as it has been mentioned, with a photo of the other corner of the street looking down Cope Street. I'm also adding a better copy of the image looking down Springfield Street.

View attachment 130494View attachment 130495View attachment 130496

Phil that entry just before where that woman is on the doorstep no 63 is where we lived directly behind her 1/63,. The house this side of the entry was either the Morgans or the Grinsells , and I'm 100% sure its one of the brothers of the Grinsells owns a skip hire company , the other brother has his own roofing company

Phil that entry just before where that woman is on the doorstep no 63 is where we lived directly behind her 1/63,. The house this side of the entry was either the Morgans or the Grinsells , and I'm 100% sure its one of the brothers of the Grinsells owns a skip hire company , the other brother has his own roofing company
Hi I have read with interest your post and pics of Springfield St.
My family lived in the St. Firstly at 3/ 27 and then at 62 until 1963 when cleared for demolition.
My grandparents lived at 27, Harry and Polly Morgan. My great uncle lived in a back to back in our yard Frank Morgan.
My Father and Mother were Cliff and Betty .
I attended Stewart St. Nursery, infants and juniors.
I remember the Crown pub on the corner, and Len and Clem's small shop a couple of doors up from our house. I think their name was Spencer.We also had an outdoor at the top of the street, King Edwards Rd. end.
I recall the small tuck shop in Springhill Passage run by Mrs. Mitchell we got our sweets from the penny tray on our way to school. Fond memories of shopping on Spring Hill with mom, and playing on moaks (trolly carts) on the "bonk" Cope St.
Have many more tales... hope this was of interest..Dave m 1952

Hi I have read with interest your post and pics of Springfield St.
My family lived in the St. Firstly at 3/ 27 and then at 62 until 1963 when cleared for demolition.
My grandparents lived at 27, Harry and Polly Morgan. My great uncle lived in a back to back in our yard Frank Morgan.
My Father and Mother were Cliff and Betty .
I attended Stewart St. Nursery, infants and juniors.
I remember the Crown pub on the corner, and Len and Clem's small shop a couple of doors up from our house. I think their name was Spencer.We also had an outdoor at the top of the street, King Edwards Rd. end.
I recall the small tuck shop in Springhill Passage run by Mrs. Mitchell we got our sweets from the penny tray on our way to school. Fond memories of shopping on Spring Hill with mom, and playing on moaks (trolly carts) on the "bonk" Cope St.
Have many more tales... hope this was of interest..Dave m 1952

Dave m 1952
Thanks for that if memory serves right we moved out about 1955 , to William St just of Broad St . although I was only young my memory seems unfailing . I remember the Crown on the corner , the shop on the corner were I had my first drink of flat pop that they were brewing . Also the time the tat man gave me a pack of D***x telling me they were balloons . Good old days

Hello everyone, I registered today as I would dearly love to see some pictures from Ladywood back to backs. I was born in 4 back of 40 Springfield Street, Ladywood in 1960 but unfortunately due to both my parents dying at young ages, I don't have any photographs or information. I would love to find out more about my history.

Back