• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Social security office Beacon Hill

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
It was October 1962 when I came down first with the flu which then turned into a form of pneumonia. This meant that I would have to take time off from work and it would amount to at least five weeks overall. I was able to claim two weeks with full pay from the company I worked for, the rest they told me I would have to obtain through the government Sick Pay scheme into which I was paying. This meant a trip to the “pogey” office.

I found out that the nearest office to claim payments of this type was in Aston and I am thinking it was in the vicinity of Trinity Road and Witton Road. Has anyone else memories of this place? I had never drawn any social benefits prior to this illness, so I wasn’t really sure what I would find when I arrived at the social services place.

I wish I could remember exactly where the building was but I do
remember that it was quite new. As I walked up the road to the
place I saw a large queue snaking out of the building and into the
street. The queue was made up of mostly men and I joined the line
which snaked into the building and then split up into three lines leading
up to the counters. The people in the queue must have been regulars since they had brought with them musical instruments such as guitars, small African drums and mouth organs to play while they waited in the queue. While I waited we were all serenaded by some lovely Caribbean music. The Corps Commissionaire chap on duty didn’t seem to like this music and tried to shut up the musicians but he was totally unsuccessful to subdue this party like atmosphere which had broken out at this Government office!!!! The musicians simply carried on playing. It
certainly wasn't what I was expecting when I set off.

I finally arrived at the counter filled out the necessary forms and I asked the clerk if this music thing happened often. She said yes…..just about every day. As I left some of the people were dancing outside in rhythm to the music. It was quite a sight. I have never forgotten my trip to the social benefits office in Aston all those years ago.

I used it is was called the labour office and it was just off Bevington Road I used in the fifties and there was always a queue then never liked the place it was a long walk from Parliament street

Social Security Office

The office you mentioned was situated in Beacon Hill, just off Trinity Road,
Witton Road end.

I can't recall the circumstances I went there but I certainly didn't encounter such a colourful musical scene as Jenny Ann.

social sercurity office

[
Remember it well, thats where we had to register for National Service. I bet you guys can remember it?. :cry: [/b]

midlandsafc

Would it be possible for you to expand on you experiences during your National Service?

Labour Exchange

My father in law was a civil servant and worked behind the counter there most people found him fearsome but in fact he was a lovely person, he lived in the first house in Beacon Hill no 5. just across the road.....Cat:)

I had to call there once to collect a new National Insurance Card after loosing my old one in between jobs. The correct title was

Ministry of Labour & National Service
Employment Office.

I remember it as a very grim place.

pmc1947

RE national insurance

Hi.beacon hill nation insurance office,seems a million years ago when i went there.My mom asked me to take a maternity benefit form there,back in the 60s era i think,well we lived in aston so if was not too bad a trip.when i got there,there was a massive queue,so i posted the form in a box,when i got home mom said did you give it the man/woman?, i said i posted it in a box,oh dear me she went mad at me,well after a couple of days being in the dog house,a form come through the letter box, all was ok they had got the form and was sending the money to her,thank goodness i thought,i did not like chum.

Jennyanne

Hello Jenny. I have racked my brains and I can tell you it was Beacon Hill, Where the Social Security Office was because I worked there for a few months. Hope this jogs your memory. I also went there for a passport, as when I applied for one, there was a postal strike and everything was lost, so I got anemergency one from there. I actually went to Germany with my friend, and was I scared. We visited the Brandengurgh gate in Berlin. Beacon Hill is very close to Trinity Road. This is off an up to date A-z Map of Birmingham.
Whats your weather like. Hear from you soon. Hilda.

Hi Hilda: Re the Beacon Hill Office. Looks like you are right about it's location and several other people have memories of it too. Glad to hear that you were able to sort out your passport when you went on your trip to Germany. You also worked there. Did you live nearby? I can still remember the experience
I had at Beacon Hill all those years ago and I can remember getting off the bus at Trinity Road and following directions to Beacon Hill.

If you look on the weather thread you will see what the weather is like here in Vancouver today plus lots of other weather report posts.

I myself worked these from 1990 to 1993. I'm looking and trying to find my old work colleagues to arrange a reunion. If anyone was there at Aston jobcentre please contact me. Great staff great memories. Or if anybody nows of any family members that were there at that time. I belive it closed down around 1995 and move to the new Perry jobcentre now.

i remember walking from aston to becon hill to take a form for my mom i was not very old.when i got there it was full.i waited and waited. but in the end i put the form in the box. when i got home. mom said did you hand it in? no i said i put it in the box, she was not very happy about me doing it,and was worried it would get lost. i felt really bad i had let her down.
a few days later the payment arrived and all was well again.:grinning:

Does anyone remember my Uncle, Harry Peakman who worked at the labour exchange. Can’t remember the dates until I look it up..

I worked there from 1980 until 1985, when it was Aston Unemployment Benefit Office & Jobcentre. It was on the corner of Beacon Hill and Grange Road. The building is unchanged, but it is now Birchfield Independent Islamic Girls School, I understand.

1639932299847.png 1639932338971.png

Hi John,
Did you work there right to the very end of 1985?
Oddly enough, I arrived on a transfer from Castle Bromwich Skill Centre as it was due to be shut down.
Turned up early September but knew immediately I'd made a big mistake when I saw the metal cabinet
with all the files of codes, rules and regulations. Knew this mountain of files would be beyond me, so I decided
to see it out to the Christmas party and quietly drove down Xmas week and popped a brown envelope into the letterbox(!).
Greg.

Hi John,
Did you work there right to the very end of 1985?
Oddly enough, I arrived on a transfer from Castle Bromwich Skill Centre as it was due to be shut down.
Turned up early September but knew immediately I'd made a big mistake when I saw the metal cabinet
with all the files of codes, rules and regulations. Knew this mountain of files would be beyond me, so I decided
to see it out to the Christmas party and quietly drove down Xmas week and popped a brown envelope into the letterbox(!).
Greg.
Not quite Greg, I was transferred (for a nominal fee ;)) to work down in that there London in 1984. Thanks for reminding me of those grey metal filing cabinets and those codes, rules and regulations, their mere mention, brought back many a happy memory to this retired civil servant (give me a form to check and rules/regulations to follow, and I'm in clover) :grinning:.

Back