• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sixties Music

Hi to motorman-mike

I certainly do remember Bert Weedon, he inspire a lot of the groups, he was a brilliant guitarist. Lord Rockingham, Cherry Wainer on the organ, Cliffe, Mary Wilde, the Alison Twins, Vernon Girls, "we wear short shorts!.

Certainly remember the Atlas in Stechford, use to go there with my friend Jan. We had a great time. Had to wait until we were older to go into the bar though.

Didn't they have some good groups and bands there.

Interested in the 60's get together, mind you my legs won't take the mini skirt any more, everything has gone south, but what can you expect at the age of 60! My skirts use to be so short the guys at the BSA use to guess what colour knickers I had on each day when I walked up the stairs to the office. Now I can hear you saying too much info, but it was true.

Such happy days though, and enjoyed every single minute of it.

Just going to have a Babycham!

Chris;)

Christina stop it! The Vernons Girls, the short shorts, the one in glasses - phew! Ah yes I remember it well. "Oh Boy" and "Boy Meets Girls" (Didn'tCherry Wainer always had a small dog with her?). And there was Juke Box Jury and the other one with the "Oil gi it Foive" girl.
Long live Rock 'n' Roll.

Christina, great memories I loved the fashions as other threads will point out. I 'm off for a CherryB:D

Christina,

Just to let you know, the 60's night, although it will be fun to dress up, it is not compulsory (although knickers would be preferable) and it's as much about the music and all our memories of the 60's. And the 60's wasn't just the mini skirt. Mid sixties, up the Cedar, all the girls were elegant. Well, that's how I remember it.

Ann

Ann,

The sixties really had a huge range of styles. Amazing what a difference there was between, let's say 1961 and 1969! I think the same applies to the music as well.

Norma

I agree totally with you Norma

keith

Cherry B, I got so drunk on that, you forget how potent it was.

As for my knickers, they are much bigger now!

We were definitely more elegant than they are today (save for some who do look good). Hair just so, shoes and handbags to match your outfit. Make-up, pale pink lippie, false eyelashes, top and bottom of eyes, eye-liner, spit on the mascara!

We had a 60/70's christmas themed parties at the place I use to work a few years ago, and I put on the old lashes again, with the diamonds on them, what a struggle. Managed it eventually, but just to think I use to do that every day for work, the full gear and in record time.

My favourite dress was my black and white Mary Quant dress, with knee length white boots. Remember the ones with no toes in, we even wore those in the winter. I had a coney fur coat for the winter, wouldn't dream of wearing fur now. A short suade mulberry colour skirt with a scalloped edge, I loved that skirt. Whe the long dresses came in had one for a party at the British Legion, this was in the early 70's. Had a pair of gold sandles with platform and high block heel. I gave them to Stage2 Youth Theatre (and the were still in good condition, from Dolcis and made in Italy), one of the girls wore them for one of the show they did based on the 70's called Daughters of Albion.

I reckon if there is a 60's bash we should put out lots of photograph's of how we looked.

Followed fashion and loved every minute of it, look back sometimes now when you see the programmes on the era's and think "did I really wear that". Had my hair at one stage like Dustry, and then grew it long like Kathy Macgowan.

We were the bee's knees!!

Happy dancin!

Chris;)

hi chris. wales here. sounds like you realy knew how to have a good time. can i put your name down for the 60s night. :)

great christina. would you like to sign up on the 60s theme night thread. that way the other members can welcome you on board. it will be a great night im sure. wales.

I'm having a really cool day today, listening to all my old Beatles favourites - magic.

Harborne

I do things like that too Harborne. Sometimes when my better half takes herself off to one of our kids houses for a couple of hours, theres nothing better than switching the telly off, and either playing an old CD, or sticking on a DVD of 50s or 60s music. I could listen to that type of music all day long. Barry.

I listen to BBC Radio2 most days while on the Computer and without fail Sunday evening from 9.00 to Midnight, listening to Malcolm Laycock now David Jacobs 11.00 through to Midnight:)

Radio 2 is brilliant. Mind you I also listen to Smooth Radio but only have it when there is 60/70's music. Good to have it in the background when you are gardening or on the computer, even in the winter when sewing or in the kitchen when cooking.

Sing along, you can't beat it!

:111:

A blast from the past. Aldi will be selling these soon. What goes around, comes around. Remember yours? Ours was a Decca I think. First record we played on it was Lonnie Donnegan's "My Old Man's a Dustman". So would have been bang on 1960 when we got ours. Viv.

image.jpeg

Up in my loft I have a reel to reel tape recorder bought in the early 1960's from Jolly's in Witton. It has 'valves' which take a minute to warm up and the tape reels are full of Sixties music. Under the stairs right at the back I have a record player and somewhere in the house I have a pile of vinyl 'LPs' bought in the 1960's.
But many years ago I digitised all of them and now I can play them on my computers and hear the 'needle scratch' and tape hiss just like the old days ... :D

My sister had a Dansette record player, the type with a spindle so you could stack several records, which would drop automatically. I was forbidden to touch or play her precious Elvis records ( but i did )

Oh yes we had a tape recorder like this Grundig one. Amazing how many different large pieces of apparatus we had to play music on. And there was also the Stereogram with its 60s ultra- sleek lines. You were regarded as terribly modern if you had one. My all time favourite was my transistor radio. My first one was a Ferguson. I loved that little box! Viv.

image.jpeg

I recorded a song on my reel to reel tape recorder but never knew who sung it and it's title. I uploaded the song to the BHF and asked if anyone recognised it. Jennyann did and gave me the answer in the next post. I've just played it ... not bad for an old 1960s tape recorder !
In the early 1970s I recorded a song from TV on to an old reel-to-reel tape recorder and listening to it brings back happy memories. I have often tried to find out the title of the song and who is singing it but had no success.
I'm just wondering if anyone on the BHF recognises it. I've converted it to an mp3 file and it plays on my laptop and my iPad and hopefully it will play on other computers.
Songfrom70s.mp3

Last edited:
Wow, that would be great if it ever comes off! I used to see the SDG quite regularly at Birmingham University Students' Union "Saturday Hops", where they were more or less the resident band in the early 1960's. At the time, I think Steve Winwood was only about 15! If I remember correctly, the Winwood family lived in Atlantic Road, Kingstanding. I always liked their music, at least the music they played way back with their original line-up. I last saw Spencer with The New Animals at the Tamworth Assembly Rooms about 5 years ago, and he was still pretty good!

G

I went to Cardinal Wiseman Secondary school, New Oscott between 1962 and 1964 and have a vague recollection of the Winwood brothers practising in what was something like a scout hut nearby. Can anyone enlighten me and fill in some more details to aid my memory.

Something that isn't quite what it seems. deagostini are putting out one of those magazine partworks with old Beatles vinyl albums. They are also selling subscriptions to the set. The set runs to 23 albums. Those of you old enough should have realised that the Beatles put out less than a dozen albums in their career along with a few EPs/singles that weren't on the album. That means this set is going to include 10 or more albums of duplicate material - either that or they're going to dredge the archive for "alternate" versions.

Some supermarkets are going for vinyl in a really big way, in fact in my local there are more vinyl albums than CD's.

They have a small display at the front of the store and a sign saying 'more available in the CD aisle', which i thought rather profound.

It appears that all the Beatles albums are also available on new vinyl, what goes around comes around.

They're probably shifting to vinyl on account of an article at the end of last year saying vinyl outsold downloads last year although that was mostly down to the price difference (vinyl costs 10-20 times as much) although I daresay the recent wave of portable record players helped as well. The only local supermarket I've seen selling records is a large Morrisons that has best selling CDs but that's it.

Some supermarkets are going for vinyl in a really big way, in fact in my local there are more vinyl albums than CD's.

They have a small display at the front of the store and a sign saying 'more available in the CD aisle', which i thought rather profound.

It appears that all the Beatles albums are also available on new vinyl, what goes around comes around.
I still have all my original Beatles LP's...
Dave A

They're probably shifting to vinyl on account of an article at the end of last year saying vinyl outsold downloads last year although that was mostly down to the price difference (vinyl costs 10-20 times as much) although I daresay the recent wave of portable record players helped as well. The only local supermarket I've seen selling records is a large Morrisons that has best selling CDs but that's it.
I don't think that vinyl outsold downloads, it was probably referring to CD's. I have stopped buying CD's through lack of storage space, having in excess of 2500, I switched to downloads more than 2 years ago, much to my wife's delight. I have no interest in the vinyl revival, regardless of the audio quality.
Dave A

Back