• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Razor Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Every One ,
I Think I,m On The Right Thread About Old Remedies
But When I Got Up This Morning As The Crow Calls
I Went To Have A Wash And Shave With My Electric Shaver
And I Looked In The Mirror And I Thought Huh
Then I Thought About The Old Type Razor Blade
The Old Blue Gillette, And The Other One
The One I Used To Used ,and Fetch For My Old Man
The 7 ,oclock Old Blade , Then I Thought I Would Put This Question
On The Forum , Is Any Of Our Chaps Still Use Them
Or Have They,ve Move On , Or They Cannot Remember The Old
7, Oclock In Its Paper ? ,
Have A Nice Day Everybody Astonian ;;;

Astonian, was it Wilkinson Sword Edge? I think there's a packet of them in my bathroom still somewhere. They were great for paring the old corns as well as giving you a close shave. And, if you left them a bit loose in the razor you could "razor-cut" your hair with 'em as well. You can't do any of that with the modern disposable head razors. :p

HI ALF
Many Thanks For That Brilliant Site and the Showing of The Pictures
I,m Gonna Down Load That Site
There,s One THING Alf You Always COME UP Trumps Mate
I,m Sure Our Other Members Will Appreciate That Showing
Of That Thread
Best wishes astonian ;;;;

I've still got my old Gillette Razor from the 60s, I use Bic now my lads buy the ones that cost an Arm & a Leg. Mind you they still use mine if they run out of blades:)

Oisin you have reminded me of watching my mom cutting her corns with those blades I used to sit there cringing.

An advert like this wouldn,t be allowed now.
6381a425670443f2cc2e688635153354.jpg

The good old fashioned double edge razor blades are still available, and In my opinion give you a brilliant shave. I have quite a few packets of Gillette, Wilkinson Sword and Feather razor blades, which are exceptionally sharp.

They are very cheap to buy, and if used with care can give you a very good shave for a couple of weeks. I would argue that you can get a shave better and closer than any of the modern multiple blade, gimmicky razors you see in the shops.

There were a lots of devices and methods on how you could make them last even longer, from rubbing them on the inside of a glass tumbler to the patented 'Lillycraps radian glass razor hone' (I think I have one some ware), along with a few very interesting mechanical devices.

I use a cut throat, they are very nostalgic, fun to use, and because to have to take your time, they give you back a few moments of time, just chill and relax.

I have never liked electric razors, don't seem to give such a close shave like a 'wet' razor, used to use Gilette, 7 o'clock etc... but now use disposable bic or similar. Have noticed as I have got older my whiskers seem less tough. Many years ago I bought some gadgety razor with its own strop, think it was called a Rolls, ring a bell with any one ?? was not impressed and reverted back to the nrmal safety. Eric

The 'Rolls Razor' was both a sophisticated and beautifully designed piece of kit. It was a none disposable razor; you sharpened and stropped the blade on the inside of the container lid.

The Rolls Razor company was on the verge of bankruptcy, then a gentleman called John Bloom came along and persuaded them to make washingmachines; but that's another interesting story....

It's like listening to dad reading these posts - he can't get on with an electric razor, so still wet shaves, I think he is using a Wilkinson Sword razor - or is it Gillette?
The worst razors must be the wonderful hospital disposable ones, I'm sure they use recycled blades in them and still do - remember the time as a very nervous 17 yearold student nurse having to wet shave a man for the first time - now as you know the skin gets a little more wrinkly and this chap was very cantankerous, with a badcase of wandering hands, an I was being supervised by a dragon of a staff nurse, who kept saying "pull the skin taut and pull the razor - I did eventually manage to give him a reasonable shave, but was black and blue by the time I finished!! Got much better as I progressed, especially after a turkish patient gave me lessons. The worst was the "intimate" shaves before surgery though,the men were always nervous in case you slipped and you were nervous for the same reason, as a nick meant no operation, so you soon got proficient. Luckily , the nurses don't do that today.
Sue

Hi Sue, did you hear about the the councillor who went into hospital, as soon as he
got in bed he wanted the loo, so the nurse got a bedpan for him.Afterward as she
walked away he bust out laughting and said"I have been on the council twenty years and thats the first time I have a motion carried, keep smiling Bernard

I have never liked electric razors, don't seem to give such a close shave like a 'wet' razor, used to use Gilette, 7 o'clock etc... but now use disposable bic or similar. Have noticed as I have got older my whiskers seem less tough. Many years ago I bought some gadgety razor with its own strop, think it was called a Rolls, ring a bell with any one ?? was not impressed and reverted back to the nrmal safety. Eric
hi Eric I had a Rolls razer, I used to love waking all the lads up in a morning stropping it Bernard

The 'Rolls Razor' was both a sophisticated and beautifully designed piece of kit. It was a none disposable razor; you sharpened and stropped the blade on the inside of the container lid.

The Rolls Razor company was on the verge of bankruptcy, then a gentleman called John Bloom came along and persuaded them to make washingmachines; but that's another interesting story....
i hope you used the term"loosely" when you called John Bloom a gentleman Bernard

Very true Bernard. An uncle and cousin used to work for him selling his Washing Machines ah well nuff sed.

My wife still has her Dad's razor that he was issued with in the war.
He used it regularly, up to the time he died.
Sooner him than me !

Was reading in yesterdays paper that the price of razor blade cartridges has gone up by 99% IN JUST THREE YEARS!The cartdridges which cost less than 10p to make are being sold at £3.49 in some places.Gillette have also reduced
the number in their Mach 3 turbo packs from five to four.Slealth Tax eh?
I have used a Philoshave for many years, Bernard

You can buy a good old fashioned double edge blade that will give you a shave as good as any of these cartridge type blades for 20p

Pure poetry here from a 1929 advert for razor blades:

Blades made by Myatt of Birmingham
Are "Daymarked" so you can keep turningham.
This means such a saving,
Such comfort in shaving
That compliments pour in concerningham.
P1020508 (2).JPG

I Uused to have to fetch my fathers razor blades from diggers on many occasions next to dents and robinsons fruit and veg on a sunday morning
before he started work at the golden cross pub on aston cross aston and that was for a tanner ;; 6d in those days for a seven oclock razor blade
for one single blade ;; alan;; Astonian;;;;

Thanks for that Alan, I too can remember being sent round the shop to buy a single seven o'clock razor blade. Shops would split packets up like that, some would sell a single fag too.

I had the idea Kirby Beard made razor blades, but their Grace's info does not mention it (what I saw anyway), so good to see confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back