• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Police vehicle patrols

Viv

The one that jumps out at me is number 3, it's Aston Rd at Gosta Green outside the old library and drinking fountain. Give me some time on the pub one, but I don't think I'll ever get 2 & 4.

In the 1950's I had parked in Corporation Street (it was possible in those days). A police car pulled in behind me, only he did not, he ran into the back of me. His front bumper went under my rear bumper, and his lovely chrome bell fitted to the front of his car, went over the top of my rear bumper, and the piece that held the bell, snapped against my bumper.

It was a moment that I loved. I climbed out, and walked back to the police car, and the driver was looking very sheepish. He started to reverse, and the lovely bell fell into the road. There was no damage to my car. I climbed into my car, and drove off. When I looked back, via the mirror, he was just picking up the bell!.

A moment I have always treasured.

Eddie

No 3 is the very first time that the 'big' bikes' BSA Gold Flash had been used and the officer on the back righthand side is my Dad the late Tom Moore, R261.
Just as Phil says by Gosta Green, they had ridden out of Duke Street for a Birmingham Mail photo, I cn't remember whether it was February 1952 0r 53.

Last edited:
Wel that's a turn up Alberta! Thanks. It's great to be able to put a name to the place, but to put a name to a person in the photo - even better, especially for you. Thanks to Phil too. (Hope you're feeling a bit better Alberta).

Eddie - I can visualise the look on both yours and the PO's face! Life can occasionally be so sweet. Viv.

I had posted this photo before on BHF but it was lost when the site was hacked, it was on the Double Zero thread.
Just changed his number on my first post , senior moment got it wrong.

Feeling much better now I am home and the sun is shining.

Well done Curly, I would never have gotten that one of it's outside Birmingham.

Viv

The same place a little earlier.

Attachments

• Castle Vale Farnborough Rd.jpg
    Castle Vale Farnborough Rd.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 37
Crikey, it was an Austin company publicity photo for the Austin A40.the first Birmingham panda car taken in 1966 on Castle Vale and once again the lovely little chubby copper standing next to the car is my Dad.
I think the use of the A40 as panda cars began in 1967.

Last edited:
I don't have the original Viv, I first saw it a while ago on the forum on a thread about Panda cars, I think it disappeared when were hacked, luckily I had saved it.
I told my sister and she remembered the time it was taken.
My son has it on his facebook page.

Off topic but we also have a video off Youtube of Bulganin and Kuschev visit to Birmingham and Dad is one of the outriders.

Its a crying shame why Birmingham never kept there mounted police force they was a grand sight to see them walking and
Trotting around the streets I personally thought they was very forceful and useful they had a advantage to the old panda,s
I think and getting an eye birds view of the distance in advance where driving those little panda was low down,
I like most people in those days always stopped and turned around on hearing the horses booths coming
And always stood still and look up and admire the horses and the police man in the saddle would always look down
To you and say hello or good morning to you I recall them at Victoria road police station Aston ,wood cock street,and bristol road
What a shame for them to go, best wishes good evening all, Astonian,,,,,,Alan,,,,

I could look at that photo of my lovely chubby Dad all day.
He served 30 years from 1947 and then he became Vehicle controller at Queens Road.

Maybe going off thread a bit but we had a velocette patrol policeman visit us during the night at Stockland Green, this would have been mid sixties. The only concern he had whilst taking his well earned break was the duty Sergeant who checked up during the night, no radios in those days :)

Alberta l have tried again one is where l paid a school visit sometime 1n 1976 the horse was 'Elsenor
' he was my horse. and the other where we used to lead the flower festival in Spalding Linconshire,it started when someone from the b'ham force was made CC of Linc's asked if B'ham Police could lead the festival and two officers and mounts went every year a good jolly.

Attachments

• DSC06373.JPG
    DSC06373.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC06374.JPG
    DSC06374.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 21
May have told this story before, if so sorry. Back in 1967 I spent a few months private hire driving, after picking up a car load of boisterous drunk lads I was driving along the Aldridge road when a panda car pulled me over obviously suspecting I was as drunk as the lads in the car who had been waving ? at the policeman out of the Windows, as we both got out of our cars, he clutching a clip board and putting his flat cap on, the policeman saw my private hire sign on the windscreen, turned around, got back in his car and drove off without saying a word, bet that upset his night :)

Here are some pics of my grandfather Sydney Allen he joined 4th May 1907 and retired as an Inspector 30th June 1932 he lived at Victoria Road Police Station in the Station House 'D' Div he had a Constable to to light the fires in the house every day.

Attachments

• DSC06378.JPG
    DSC06378.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC06377.JPG
    DSC06377.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC06380.JPG
    DSC06380.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC06376.JPG
    DSC06376.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC06376.JPG
    DSC06376.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC06375.JPG
    DSC06375.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 29
what wonderful photos of your grandad jo..you must feel very proud of him...thanks everso much for sharing them with us all...just what we need...i should know this as its my neck o the woods but i take it victoria road police station has gone now..i bet our member steve R will be interested in them as well as he was heavily involved in the police museum..

all the best

lyn

Lyn yes sadly it went quite a few years ago,l remember my grandmother going to the closing of it my grandfather sadly had passed away.But l was proud to be sent to 'D' Div when l joined l was stationed at Canterbury Rd Aston which is still there..............Joe 90 (90 is because that was my collar number) as we all had handles.

love the user name you chose jo...very fitting...i pass canterbury road station from time to time...

Back