• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Police vehicle patrols

How lovely that you followed in your Grandads footsteps Joe.
My Dad had 4 grandsons but as much as he would have loved it none wished to be in the force.
My Dad lived in single mens quarters Victoria road when he joined until they could find a house for Mom and me and my sister,we came from the Staffordshire moorlands.Dad was 1/2 inch too short to join the Stoke force so he came to Brum.
He was D204 and then when he went on to traffic at Duke Street he was R261.

How lovely that you followed in your Grandads footsteps Joe.
My Dad had 4 grandsons but as much as he would have loved it none wished to be in the force.
My Dad lived in single mens quarters Victoria road when he joined until they could find a house for Mom and me and my sister,we came from the Staffordshire moorlands.Dad was 1/2 inch too short to join the Stoke force so he came to Brum.
He was D204 and then when he went on to traffic at Duke Street he was R261.
Hi when l joined in the early 70s l had my 'D' number then we changed to WMP my number changed a 5 at the front to denote 'D' Div and a zero was added at the end as l only originally had two numbers,when l transfered to the mounted dept which was 'R' Div l kept my 'D' number.

Had a friend that drove the traffic cars that covered Coleshill, many the time he drove past in his Jaguar with the radio blasting the music out through the loudspeaker on the duel carriageway by hilltop garage.

Hi paul
I am abit sad to hear you say that we was the best police force in the world but we aint no more
I truly beleive we still are you have heard the expression ,
About the old mountain police always gets his man, i do truly beleive he did
About our police force today is as good if not better than those of yester years and with technolgy
To hand they get them cornered ,
Just look at todays force bringing crimms to book and sentenced after they committed
A crime even murder foirty years ago they get them in the end
Consider the crimes years ago without the technolgy how many got it
Mind you the crimms of today are of a different breed stop at nothink no respect for themselves
Yet alone the police my friend keith used to be a motor cyclist copper at duke street
Then he moved up into the car division i think he called it the special car
And doing stake out on certain well known crimms of the old days he as told me the names
Of some of brumms old mobs that are well known , i had to smile when he told me the names
Is wife is still working in the force at aston, he as retired now,he said it aint woth a light today
So he took the early retirement and enjoying himself with his two gun dogs he keeps
Take care paul Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,

Back