• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nineteenth Century Unitarian School Frederick Road

ClareGS

Brummie babby
I am really interested in a reference to a “small private day school in Frederick Road, Edgbaston, kept by the Misses Martins, two Unitarian ladies of considerable culture”. This is where Constance Naden attended for a number of years, circa 1866 to 1874.

I have been unable to find any references to such a school existing on Frederick Road, which I assume means it was not an 'official' school but a place that girls were tutored in a range of subjects. I know that another attendee during this period was Mrs F.T.S. Houghton, but I don't know her maiden name.

Does anyone have any information about private Unitarian education in Birmingham in the 1860s and 70s, or about who these 'Misses Martin' could be? I've been unable to come across any references to individuals matching their description so far.

I would really appreciate any help in tracking down more details about Naden's education before she began attending the Birmingham and Midland Institute and subsequently Mason College.

Best wishes, Clare

Clare
Frederick St, Edgbaston seems to change to Frederick Road, Edgbaston between the Post Office directories in 1868 & 1872,
There are the following from directories (Post Office & Whites) , which may be of some interest. It would be no 3 that would interest you, but have included others for completeness. I notice that there was also a Rev. Samuel Bache (ubitarian living at no 44 at this time
1867 No 3. Frederick St Miss Elizabeth Martin, seminary
No 6. Miss Ball , ladies school
No 46 Mrs Elizabeth Neele, ladies school
1868 & 1872 No 3. Frederick St Miss Elizabeth Martin, seminary
No 6. Miss Ball , ladies school
No 46 Misses Neele, ladies school
1873 (Whites Directory)
No 3 Miss Elizabeth Martin, day school
No 6 Miss Laura Ball, ladies school
No 34 Miss F.C. Goode , ladies school
No 46 Misses E. & E.Neele , bdg. schl.

The 1872 census just lists a housekeeper & her husband and son at no 3.. there is a Susanna Martin living at 19 Frederick St, but christian name is not Elizabeth, and occupation I cannot read, but does not seem like any mention of schools

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, that's very helpful! It's great to have a firstname to go on with future research. It's interesting to note there's the change of residence during the period Naden was meant to have been studying, something to look into further.

Really appreciate your input Mike. If anyone has additional information about private/small unitarian schools during this period I'd very much apprecaite any insights.

Thanks, Clare

Carl
There was no change of building Miss Martin was always no 3), just a change of what the establishment was described as. I do not know whether the description was made by the resident or the compiler from the directory. The other point I would make is that the date is the date of publication, and this would be probably be up to (or possibly for this early a directory, more than) the date of compilation

Back