• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do love the way New street station is coming on. Looking forward to seeing the new atrium. The platforms still look dingy and dark though.

Hi Ell. I think the point you make about encouraging people to use Hill St etc is an important one. Remember this side of the City Centre as being empty a lot of the time. If it's extends business out that way, it must be for the good. Hopefully it bodes well for the future of the new Paradise development.

Re. Your photos. For people like me who haven't lived in B'Ham for a very long time it's interesting to see how it's developing. Thankfully some churches are still standing in your photos to help me get my bearings! Viv.

Thanks Viv.

Not sure what's happening to The Crown pub on Station Street, as it closed last year. Think that a Japanese developer will build a hotel in the car park behind it.

Holy Trinity at Camp Hill (think that one is not in use at the moment - but Seventh Day Adventist church is nearby).

Can also see the Tyseley Energy from Waste Plant (probably wasn't there when you lived in Birmingham Viv).

One from under the Bullring from St Martin's Queensway (before heading on another day trip to Coventry)

Later from the Moor Street link bridge - this is the front of the station - currently no public access (says private property)

Photos from yesterday. Not sure what happened to the forum over the weekend, but think a lot of my subscriptions are not subscribed any more (or posts missing?)

Easter Monday 2015

Seems like what I posted yesterday before the site went down again has gone. Will post the photos again.

One of my neighbours has just covered the roof with solar panels, I wondered if they had put any on the Station?
It did look better this morning in the sunshine!
rosie.

Navigation Street façade update

Brunel Street view

Pinfold Street view

Navigation Street views

From Hill Street

It's a complex design for the structure that goes under the eventual shiny panels to be installed here.

Think the scaffolding is fine.

View of the footbridge from platform 9a

Views from the Cross City line trains I was on

Not manned at 2 something in the afternoon

Exit / entrance to / from Hill Street and Southside

Taxi / car drop off to the right

Steps down to Hill Street

Or use this lift

As seen from the bottom on Hill Street

The area to the left of the lift

A reminder on Dudley Street that you are now in Southside

Thanks. Still a 12 platform station. With the A end and B end. They still need to fix the escalator problems at the moment!

They do double up the trains.

Platforms a long way off from being finished (sometime in 2016)

Thanks. Still a 12 platform station. With the A end and B end. They still need to fix the escalator problems at the moment!

They do double up the trains.

Platforms a long way off from being finished (sometime in 2016)

That's true, doubling up doesn't always work sadly. I take it you are aware of the bay platform by platform 12, I only discovered it the other day.

That's true, doubling up doesn't always work sadly. I take it you are aware of the bay platform by platform 12, I only discovered it the other day.

Sometimes they have three trains in the same platform. They fitted an extra bay platform 4c in a few years ago, usually used by the Liverpool trains. I think the bay by platform 12 is not long enough for a train and used to be used by the Parcels Dept which used to have an entrance in Station Street. I also think it was where they used to keep a loco for shunting but I don't think there are any loco hauled trains in New Street these days.

Sometimes they have three trains in the same platform. They fitted an extra bay platform 4c in a few years ago, usually used by the Liverpool trains. I think the bay by platform 12 is not long enough for a train and used to be used by the Parcels Dept which used to have an entrance in Station Street. I also think it was where they used to keep a loco for shunting but I don't think there are any loco hauled trains in New Street these days.

Yes that's right, the other end of the platform was only removed recently, as you say it was parcels and stabling only, in addition to the sidings by the signal box. The closest thing to loco hauled trains you get now are the HST's.

Seems to be coming on nicely, great shots, will be a real space age style if ever finished, I am a dinosaur and miss the old dirty smoky station, when every visit was an adventure, and every trip a visit to the unknown, when a platform ticket cost a penny, and a days long time of interest was to be had. Paul

Seems to be coming on nicely, great shots, will be a real space age style if ever finished, I am a dinosaur and miss the old dirty smoky station, when every visit was an adventure, and every trip a visit to the unknown, when a platform ticket cost a penny, and a days long time of interest was to be had. Paul

I've seen pics of the old place and I wouldn't mind going back in time to see it properly! Did you ever visit the old Snow Hill often and if so, which station did you prefer out of the two?

Yes Harbornite I did use both stations, and as a child, Snow Hill was the scariest, dad would walk us both down to the dark tunnel end of platform 7 I think, but cannot remember now where the sounds of great steam trains where to be heard, and then just a quite flash of a huge steam engine belching fire light and steam could be seen, I joined the army from there to, New street had an added pleasure when small, on the occasional Saturday mornings Dad would take me to New Street to see the huge engines and have a cup of tea in the restaurant, then to the "News Theatre", cartoon picture house in New Street, great days out. As for my favourite, I enjoyed going to Curzon Street goods station to see the great shire horses to. They were all magical to me. Paul

Yes Harbornite I did use both stations, and as a child, Snow Hill was the scariest, dad would walk us both down to the dark tunnel end of platform 7 I think, but cannot remember now where the sounds of great steam trains where to be heard, and then just a quite flash of a huge steam engine belching fire light and steam could be seen, I joined the army from there to, New street had an added pleasure when small, on the occasional Saturday mornings Dad would take me to New Street to see the huge engines and have a cup of tea in the restaurant, then to the "News Theatre", cartoon picture house in New Street, great days out. As for my favourite, I enjoyed going to Curzon Street goods station to see the great shire horses to. They were all magical to me. Paul

You've got some nice memories to look back on! From what I've seen, the Old Snow Hill appeared to be a nicer station than the old New Street, it's good that both stations are open today.

Found yesterday that when I left platform 11a, there wasn't an exit from that part for platform 12a (probably on the b end of the station maybe).

The paving on the exit concourse looked finished though.

I've seen pics of the old place and I wouldn't mind going back in time to see it properly! Did you ever visit the old Snow Hill often and if so, which station did you prefer out of the two?
I used New Street Station when it looked like the pic below.
Like others I've mentioned it quite a few times on the forum and one story here
Catching the night sleeper trains to Scotland here and I've mentioned using Snow Hill in various threads.
new_st_steam.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-32493056

oops!!!!!!!!!!! That's going to cost someone a lot of money.

Even more than you might think. I was on New Street Station this afternoon and there is an army of Crowd Control men on duty. Two escalators that I used were out of action. While I was there it was announced that from Sunday the Navigation Street Footbridge will be temporally brought back into use to ease the congestion while the work is being done on the escalators.

Are they the same suppliers who fitted the ones in the new Library? They were continually out of order also! I haven't been for a while so I don't know if they have improved.
rosie.

Another look at the new square near St Martin's Queensway and the eye that faces the Bullring.

It is where "The Void" used to be (before they filled it in).

Hi Paul, your memory's fading a bit there,New Street was always an 'open' station,meaning there was no charge to enter, as part of it was a public right of way............Mal

Hi main
Paul is correct in time gone bye many many years ago they did introduce a penny machine charge go through to get a platform ticket yes it was a free right of way
At one time then they produced the penny platform ticket if you was not travelling
And later again in the very first rebuild of changing the station they done away with it I have seen that station over the years change 3 times in my span of life
Astonian,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back