• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street Station Platform 3

mikeflan

master brummie
I'm certain I'm on an impossible task here , but does anyone have a photo of Platform 3 taken from Platform 6 without any locos in the shot and would be possibly 1950's era......? it may possibly have the back view of Queens Hotel as well and although , too much to be expected to be a colour photo I know, I think most took photos of this location because a named loco would be in it as the Glasgow used to go from it....thanks to anyone that can help

As you say, there's always a loco in prime place, that's what the shot is of mainly. Even this painting, although coloured does not show much of the background.

Attachments

• 46235  City of Birmingham  New St stn.JPG
    46235 City of Birmingham New St stn.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 18
This view (mine) of a mid to late-50s Matissa track recording car has some offices on the eastern end of platform 1 visible.

Attachments

• Matissa Track tester at New Street.jpg
    Matissa Track tester at New Street.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 21
As you say, there's always a loco in prime place, that's what the shot is of mainly. Even this painting, although coloured does not show much of the background.
Thank you Lloyd that's quite a help. just trying to create the back drop for a model of the first Scot I saw there....just so memorable and I'm just doing an 0 gauge model of it back in 1953 and they had red backed nameplates back then , not black as BR did them in the later 1950's......

Glad they are of use. Yes to the red backed plates, there's a GWR loco at the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway (clever reuse of GWR!) in early BR livery with red-backed name & number plates, and I researched why on my return home. Apparently it is correct for the first repaints after nationalisation.

Several b&w images on the britainfromabove website, obviously not tremendous detail though.
Amazing shot of the period, I see where I used to nip up Queens Drive and across Worcester Street to the Market Hall for a saucer of Cockles....between train spotting.......thanks for that brummy-lad

I would stand on Platform 6 (~1961) and was oblivious to all the activity and buildings you can see on that image, then it was up to Snow hill station for another session. I have some pictures of Platform 3 but with locos in front and they're so blurred they would be of no help to you unfortunately.

I would stand on Platform 6 (~1961) and was oblivious to all the activity and buildings you can see on that image, then it was up to Snow hill station for another session. I have some pictures of Platform 3 but with locos in front and they're so blurred they would be of no help to you unfortunately.
Yeah me too...but 1953 to about '56 and also Tamworth field..OMG the memories...we had the best of the years

What memories these posts bring back Rushing down Queens Drive In in 1954 towards the main station platform openings then a frantic search of the West side of the station to see what had already arrived from London and the North (platforms 6 & 7 ).Then straight down to the East end of 7 to watch the departures and arrivals from there.Strange there was always a strong smell of propane gas down there but not enough to put us off as we sat on the army of trollies stored there. I have compiled some arrival and departure manuals for New Street and Snow Hill (summer 1954) showing the whole 24 hours activity there with all arrivals and departures from there with platform departure details and full itinerary and times for each service..I can post some sample pages on here if any body would be interested Allan T

What memories these posts bring back Rushing down Queens Drive In in 1954 towards the main station platform openings then a frantic search of the West side of the station to see what had already arrived from London and the North (platforms 6 & 7 ).Then straight down to the East end of 7 to watch the departures and arrivals from there.Strange there was always a strong smell of propane gas down there but not enough to put us off as we sat on the army of trollies stored there. I have compiled some arrival and departure manuals for New Street and Snow Hill (summer 1954) showing the whole 24 hours activity there with all arrivals and departures from there with platform departure details and full itinerary and times for each service..I can post some sample pages on here if any body would be interested Allan T
How brilliant of you and you have also brought back some wonderful memories that are exactly the same as mine.....remember that waste truck at the end of the platform and that never put us off either........I can still see my first Scot of the Glasgow ....the sun was shining and lit up the red backed nameplate of the loco....Oh yes....they were red backed when I spotted and only later did BR change them to black....all my models have to have red backed name plates.

I have put the full copies.of the manuals now on ebay.to allow Full Download of whole album in PDF for £4.99.Snow Hill plus others available.See ebay "Birmingham new street 1954"

This picture was taken from New Street No. 1 Signal Box 1954 looking towards the Queens Hotel with platforms 3 & 4 on the left. The second taken from platform 10 in the late 50s/early 60s shows the roof before it was removed. Sorry if these have been posted previously elsewhere and if they are not of use for this thread.
1709219740019.png

1709222344099.png

This picture was taken from New Street No. 1 Signal Box 1954 looking towards the Queens Hotel with platforms 3 & 4 on the left. The second taken from platform 10 in the late 50s/early 60s shows the roof before it was removed. Sorry if these have been posted previously elsewhere and if they are not of use for this thread.
View attachment 189548

View attachment 189554
Hi John,

The platforms on the left are 4 and 5, -The train facing us is standing at platform 3.
Great pics/

Kind regards
Dave

View attachment 189548

View attachment 189554
Looking at the rail system in these photos, there was some pretty good planning going on 170 years ago! No CAD system, calculators or even slide rules. Just pencil (pen) and paper. Just let that sink in a little!

Looking at the rail system in these photos, there was some pretty good planning going on 170 years ago! No CAD system, calculators or even slide rules. Just pencil (pen) and paper. Just let that sink in a little!
Yes and no RAAC in those buildings either !!! have we really progressed ????

Buildings today, in fact since soon after about 1980, are not designed to last more than about 30 years (see 1960s bullring). This is partly because there are technical challenges that require different services and equipment, but even more so that not very competent architects and builders have a continual flow of work

wow those memories are flooding back
my arrival at New Street was always via Queens Drive so you could arrive straight at the platform level then along to platform 10 for the Tamworth train 07.48 as stated
As mentioned earlier the arrival and departure of the Glasgow trains was always a good opportunity of a "cop" usually from platform 3
but on consulting the manual I have made I see the arrival of the SO 07.14 from Edinburgh was to platform 6 due to this service being routed via Bescot and Aston.
I always remember the departure loco for the 11.20 would have been serviced at Aston Shed and if it was an exceptional or rare example word would go round very quick and attempts would be made to "bunk" the Shed to view it. This was always considered a masterful stroke if it was completed because Aston Shed was total enclosed and the only way in was via a small gate right in front of the Shed Foreman`s office
Examples are from the my manuals mentioned earlier which can be downloaded from ebay (Search Birmingham New Street 1954) now reduced to £2,99

Attachments

• 11.00 glasgow highlighted.jpg
    11.00 glasgow highlighted.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 07.14 highlighted.jpg
    07.14 highlighted.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 06.50 highlighted.jpg
    06.50 highlighted.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 5.05 highlighted.jpg
    5.05 highlighted.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 07.48 highlightedj.jpg
    07.48 highlightedj.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 13
  • queens drive 1.jpg
    queens drive 1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 15
Buildings today, in fact since soon after about 1980, are not designed to last more than about 30 years (see 1960s bullring). This is partly because there are technical challenges that require different services and equipment, but even more so that not very competent architects and builders have a continual flow of work
Mike, I totally agree with you your comment about architects. We have buildings 60 and 80years old being retrofitted. The work is done by contractors who specialize and are not builders per se. And it is cost effective.

wow those memories are flooding back
my arrival at New Street was always via Queens Drive so you could arrive straight at the platform level then along to platform 10 for the Tamworth train 07.48 as stated
As mentioned earlier the arrival and departure of the Glasgow trains was always a good opportunity of a "cop" usually from platform 3
but on consulting the manual I have made I see the arrival of the SO 07.14 from Edinburgh was to platform 6 due to this service being routed via Bescot and Aston.
I always remember the departure loco for the 11.20 would have been serviced at Aston Shed and if it was an exceptional or rare example word would go round very quick and attempts would be made to "bunk" the Shed to view it. This was always considered a masterful stroke if it was completed because Aston Shed was total enclosed and the only way in was via a small gate right in front of the Shed Foreman`s office
Examples are from the my manuals mentioned earlier which can be downloaded from ebay (Search Birmingham New Street 1954) now reduced to £2,99
When I got my first watch and would go on a train, I would follow the on-time progress from the timetable. Kept me out of trouble!

Back