• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nelson Statue 200th Anniversary

Pro Civitate

To serve
You saw it here first!

On 25th October 2009 Birmingham will be celebrating Trafalgar Day, but this year we will also be commemorating the 200th anniversary (to the day) of the unveiling of the first statue to Lord Nelson in the United Kingdom.

To celebrate this special anniversary, St Paul's Mint have struck a medal which will be available from the Art Gallery Shop in Chamberlain Square from 1st October.

You can see the image attached. It is 50 mm in diameter and follows on the long tradition of Birmingham as a centre for metallurgy.

It will cost you £12.99.

That is fantastic news I bet the celebrations will be very good. I am pleased it's on a Sunday as I usually miss these things because of work. I think we should organise a meet up and come on mass from the forum. The coin looks lovely I shall try and get one of those to keep for my grandchildren.

Do you know if they are doing a mail order service?

Brilliant idea, Wendy, we could all get together and make a day of it.
I want one of them thar coin things.

I think we need Astoness on this one she's and expert at these get togethers now!

Thanks for posting that Pro Civitate. I am sure some will love one of these medals. I think it would make a nice Christmas present.

"Trafalgar Day Parade" is on 25 October at 11:00.

Ceremony
Start Time: 25 October at 11:00
End Time: 25 October at 12:00
Where: Lord Nelson's Statue, The Bull Ring

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Wendy. If my health has improved I shall be there. After all, my wife says I'm old enough to have served with Nelson. Congrat's on your Key Hill meet up. Now you are experienced at organising meet ups, whats on the cards for next sunday? or should we pass this one on to Lyn?

STOP PRESS: William John Raglan Horatio Tribe, the Gt, gt, gt, gt Grandson of Lord Nelson & Emma Hamilton will be laying a wreath at the ceremony on behalf of The Nelson Society.

The medal can also be bought from the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery Shop. It opens at noon on 25th October, just after the parade finishes in Victoria Square.

Well I think we should have a contingent from the BHF on this march.

Anyone up for it!

There do'es not seem to be a lot of interest in this event- all I am going to say is I will be there, and any one with a badge on, I will talk to, I do not have a badge (even though I designed it) so it will be strangers when
we meet, but I'm sure that won't be a problem.
Weather forecast is ok so let's have you there, those that are able of course.

3134019204_2d2322c0fc.jpg

Hi Changinman,
It is right in front of St. Martins Church and just to the side of selfridges,
bottom of New St. turn right and you are there.
Regards John.
P.S. have a look on google birds eye view of Birmingham centre.

Well you can be excused as for a number of those years it languished in a council store somewhere.

Sorry I haven't managed to post this information before. But this is to let you know that there will be a commemorative display for the bi-centenary of the Nelson statue in the Central Library - starting next Monday (Oct 26th).

There will be 18 display panels - showing the history of the statue and the central role it has played in the lives of Birmingham people over 200 years.

The plan is to have the first six panels at the top of the first escalator - i.e. just outside the lending library. And the other 12 panels will be on Floor 6 - Local Studies and History.

It will be in place for at least 4 weeks so I hope you can come along and take a look.

T

I think we should organise a meet up

Just a thought - but the maybe a few folks from this forum could congregate in one of the city centre pubs after the ceremony.

The march past and salute at the Council House will be at roughly 12 o'clock - I am sure there would be a suitable venue open by then!

It would just need someone to name a suitable pub and someone to be there first who is clearly identifiable.

(And of course people wanting to purchase one of the commemorative medals could pop into the museum shop en route!!)

T

Tacitus if the March Past is at the Council House, whats happening at Nelson`s Statue, Dave

Back