• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nechells Park Road

M

margaret

Parkin Ironmongers..Nechells

I have many photos from Nechells including my fayher in law in front of Parlkins ironmongers about 1915 but no scanner sorry

I dont know where boundaries are my mom thankfully still alive grew up in Gt Brook St is that Nechells I have on record some very great memories of there

I t os buhave some very unique photoes but dont know how to post them sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Margaret,
I remember Fred Parkins , they had several shops in the 60s. Two shops Alum Rock, Bordesley green, and of course Nechells.

Hello Margaret, which part of Nechells Park road? you see I'm betting someone here may even have a picture of it, what was the sign above the shop?

Fred Parkin

Would this be the same Fred Parkin who had a furniture shop opposite the Pelham pub? If so for the last few years they have been situated opposite the Fox & Goose pub, Washwood Heath Road.

Margaret I have a photo of that shop when it was run by Sally Lilley Junior if you reply I will send it to you as it is not mine to post

Margaret,
You are posting the same things all over the forum but not replying to any of them ?
Nechells
Ironmonger Parkin
Nechells Green

You are right Sylvia
The shop at No 15 Nechells park Rd first opened up in 1892 by Samuel A. Lilly who was the son of another Samuel who had a shop on the Lichfield Rd (between the Railway Station and Aston Cross) Samuel Died in 1917 (and his son died in 1925) and the shop was sold to Fred Parkin who later moved to the "Pelham" at Ward End

Cromwell.
Would you pass this shop on the way to St Clements Church?
Maggie

Well Maggie it would all depend on which way you was coming from as Nechells Park Rd ran parallel with Long Acre so you would cut through a road on the right to get to Long Acre and the church was before the corner of Thimble Mill Lane

Samuel A Lilly

Hi thanks for the information about the shop owned by Samuel A Lilly, I am looking for information about the Lilly family and if anybody knows anymore ot would be gratefully recieved.
alilly

Carl Chinn in his book Our Brum Vol 3 wrote a bit about the Lily Family with a photo of the shop at 15 Nechells park Rd

Lilly family

Thanks I will get a copy of Carls book, I have most of them but not that one.

just before you got Nechells swimming baths on Nechells Park Road, coming from town, and set back from the road was a building that I remember going to see a a dancing school perform its christmas show, Thats all i can rember please is there anyone who knows what this building was I would be most grateful to know, its driving me mad not knowing. The time was around 1950.
Thank you and Happy 2008 to you all
Maggie

St Clements Church is about in the place you mention, might it have been there in a church hall?

319A, Ford Mrs. Kate,
ladies' hairdrssr
320 Smith. Miss Ruth N.
china & glassware dlr
321 Insley Mrs. Emma Jane,
dining rms
3211 R. & F. Transport Services,
motor haulage
. contrctrs
322 Millward Roland Geo.
corn dlr
333 Bailey Horace, tobccnst
323 NECHELLS PARK ROAD
SUB-POST & M.O. Office
324 Perks Radio (Peter
Perks), wireless supplies
... here is Butlin st
James' Almshouses (Mrs.
Annie Watkin, matron)
ST. CLEMENT'S CHURCH

here is Stuart st

342 New Inns, Wltr. Leander
Keeley
345 Tayloi Rt. M. boot mkr
346 Longthorn Saml. florist
348 Linforth Wm. Hy. fried
fish dlr
351 Woodcock Mrs. Elsie,
beer retlr

here is Stella si ......

356 & 363 Varley Mrs. Kate,
furniture brkr
366 Dawson Wm. laundry
367 Smith Thos. B. watch &
clock repr
368 Smith Rd. E. hairdrssr

369 Morris Studios, photographers

Could it have been the Birmingham Co-operative Society Hall at 59 & 60 Nechells Park Road, the baths were next door to 120 NPRoad according to Kelly's.
This will need someone who remembers this road.

Colin

It sounds good Colin Ill have alook in my CoOp book it might say something.

just before you got Nechells swimming baths on Nechells Park Road, coming from town, and set back from the road was a building that I remember going to see a a dancing school perform its christmas show, Thats all i can rember please is there anyone who knows what this building was I would be most grateful to know, its driving me mad not knowing. The time was around 1950.
Maggie
maggie the place in question was nechells hall and comunity center.next door was hadens shop

I am trying to research family history. I was born 1931 and lived with my parents at what i understood was my grandparents home at 7/24 nechelles park road. Searching the 1901/11 cencus does not reconise this address. What happend to it.

I don't know any further details Frank, but suggest you post your query with names of the people you are looking for under the appropriate intial i.e. B for Bromley and I am sure someone will try and help you, this will be under Census Requests.

sylvia sayers. Thank you for your messages. have logged on to genes reunited and the 1911 census shows family at the nechells address .The 1901 shows family at a different address..not very impressed with findmypast,co,uk.Thanks again frank

Maggie
Hi Maggie,
I may be a bit late having just found your post and the reply from mwOnjm., I remember Nechells Hall very well, as you say the building was set back from the road on the right just before Trevor Street going towards the swimming baths. I think it was built in the early 30's and was a "Methodist Hall" .When the Methodist Chapel in Rocky Lane closed soon after the war most of the regular congregation attended Nechells Hall together with the Boys Brigade who held their meetings there, also the youth club of which I was a member.At the rear of the main hall on an upper floor was another large room where we played table tennis and also taught the basics of ballroom dancing. Choir concerts and other "Shows" were staged in the main hall on occasions.There was also a film projection room but I never saw any films being shown.
Regards Reg, "Roverman"

Hi Maggie ,yes it was the Methodist Hall the minister was Mr Howard a welsh man.I went to Brownies there and sang in the choir.My family lived in Nechells all their lives my Aunty only died 2 years ago in Nechells and she always referred to it has a picture house.It has changed from how I remember it .There where 4 shops between it and Trevor Street.Wimbushes the cake shop on the corner ,Fenns the butcher, I think Braggs the green grocer and then the Deli that sold Lurpak butter loose from a big Tub.Regards Polly

Back