• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nechells Baths

Pudding. Thanks for posting those lovely pictures. And Lyn too for starting all this off. Look forward to seeing many more. Cheers guys (and lassies Lyn).

wouldnt mind bazz but i cant swim...good job there will no water in the pool when i go next week...lol

Hi all a few more to enjoy

mens_entrance_.jpg

changing_cubicle_.jpg

balcony_level.JPG

balcony_level_.jpg

View attachment 70521View attachment 70522View attachment 70519View attachment 70520

pudding

Hi , My school (Eliot street) used the baths every friday to try to teach us land locked brummies to swim , although they had some remarkable successes ,I unfortunately was not amongst them. On the very first outing at the baths i decided to let go of the bar and try my luck . My friends were very impressed with how i seemed at ease in the water , my backstroke was, although very "splashy" and at times underwater, worthy of praise ! I was in fact drowning !!! Now i was noticed (going down for the 3rd time ) and trying to shout for help, by a rather large boy a couple of years older than me , who not only saved my life but also turned out to be my neighbour and one of the school bullies , I was beholden to him all through my schhol years lol.

Many thanks Lyn and Pudding for the wonderful photos, I am so pleased that so much of the original interior has been retained, it just shows that these old buildings can be preserved but put to good use if the "powers that be" get the right team round them with a feel for history and the imagination to bring them into the 2lst century use but retaining the original features. Well done to all concerned with the project.

Hi , My school (Eliot street) used the baths every friday to try to teach us land locked brummies to swim , although they had some remarkable successes ,I unfortunately was not amongst them. On the very first outing at the baths i decided to let go of the bar and try my luck . My friends were very impressed with how i seemed at ease in the water , my backstroke was, although very "splashy" and at times underwater, worthy of praise ! I was in fact drowning !!! Now i was noticed (going down for the 3rd time ) and trying to shout for help, by a rather large boy a couple of years older than me , who not only saved my life but also turned out to be my neighbour and one of the school bullies , I was beholden to him all through my schhol years lol.

lol jeff..thanks for your memories of the baths and yes sylv its so good to see a success story for a change isnt it..hoping to go back this week for a walk in the pool...

lyn

Hi lyn, sylvia and jeff
here is a report by the evening mail on the 7/3/1995 that I cut out and saved.
we have to be grateful the fire bugs did not get it as it seems most listed building that the council dont want to keep, old co op building in belmont row for exampleView attachment 70624

Nechells_Baths_.jpg

pud

Wow! what a stunning building. So often historic interiors are destroyed over time but this place is a gem......

I agree with it being a brilliant building and really worth saving but in no way would I have thought about that when I used to go there from school. To me it was just an 'old fashioned' swimming baths. From my home I used to use Kingstanding Baths or occasionally Walsall Gala Baths which were far more modern.

Interesting how your view of things changes when you are older!

same here sparks...my school used victoria road swimming baths and i used to dread swimming day...now when i look at pics of the baths all i feel is sadness at the loss of it...

lyn

Lyn. Do I take it you havent been back for more pics yet. I thought you where going back this week. ?

hi ya bazz...im just waiting to hear which day is ok for me to go back....will let you all know when...

lyn

hi bazz..here we go....lol...arrangements been made for me to take pics of the swimming pool next wednesday...really looking forward to it so long as they dont refill it lol...

no dek it was nechells baths.i bet it was the ghosts checking up on me lol. i never went to any other.see my posts on
swimming lessons.

Brilliant photos, lyn and pudding, and what a place! There's something intriguing about Edwardian swimming baths, but I'm not sure what. I also find the slipper baths very interesting.

I used to go to the Green Lane Baths, and sometimes have a swimming pool dream, once about the Green Lane ones.

maria

Back