• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My Brum names Yates

M

maryrose

Wonder if anyone could help, im doing a family tree for my daughter and can trace my dads family back to Hospital st. The name of my grandad was Alfred Yates. He had a lot of brothers and married Grace Lander. My late Father was called David . His maternal grandmother was called Jane Bent and his maternal grandfather was Walter Lander. I believe his paternal grandfather was called George Yates and all i know is that Alfred lost 3 brothers during the 1st world war and was himself, in the Royal Warwickshire regiment.
This site is so usefull and i only found it today. Im sure that my other relatives would be also interested to know of any history i can find and i intend to build a tree as far back as i can. I still live in North Birmingham and many of the family names i have seen on this site are all still living in this area and i went to school with and recognise many names on here.
Many thanks and if i can be of any use then please ask.Its such a great thing to be a Brummie and im proud of my history. :)

What a cracking photograph have you any more like this I lived in a house like those in the back ground, did they all those people live in that courtyard, there were Yates and Bent's at Upper Thomas Street senior school and there is a Yates on a school sports photograph on the main site

Have loads of pics here but no scanner, give us a bit and i will try and find a few more

Dear Maryrose

I have checked the marraiges for Birmingham from 1871 to 1902
but found nothing to Alfred and Grace.
Could you give a bit more information please?

Regards

Bob Harrison

I used to workd with a David Yates at Inco, Wiggin Street. I think he later went to work at Doncasters in Sheffield. I'm just wondering if it's the same David Yates?

With your family tree it would a gret help if you could list some birth dates etc even if they are only approximate.

Dave

:angel: My sister and I attended Bloomsbury Girl's and were very good friends with a girl named Sheila Yates. Sheila had an older sister but can't rember her name, I think she also have had brothers but I'm not sure . We lived Dartmouth St end of Gt Lister St and Sheila lived in a Street closer to Bloomsbury St girl's school it's self. This was all around the 1956-66 the era.

Chris :angel:

1901 census
24 Brighton Road Balsall Heath
William Lander 54 b. Birmingham, commercial clerk
Sarah A age 53
William age 27 son unmarried
Ellenor A(Amelia) age 26 unmaried
Annie B(Beatrice) age 25 unmarried
Walter B age 19
Frederick B age 19

Walter and Frederick are twins registered Kings Norton Dec 1881 and have the second christian name Brookes.Kings Norton was the registration area for Balsall Heath although Balsall Heath was Warks and Kings Norton was Worcs.

William Lander married Sarah Ann Brookes registered Kings Norton 1871
cannot find them on 1881.

23 Hanley Street(cornerof Cecil Street)
Joseph Benton age 46 born Birmingham Publican (manager)
Alice J age 40
Jane Ethel age 16
AliceM 14
John 10
Bertha F age 8
and a charwoman Matilda chatterton a widow age 46

Alberta said:
Walter Lander married Jane Ethel BENTON in 1907
Thank you, where can i find more about this please as i think this is definately my Great Grandparents.

Robert Harrison said:
Dear Maryrose

I have checked the marraiges for Birmingham from 1871 to 1902
but found nothing to Alfred and Grace.
Could you give a bit more information please?

Regards

Bob Harrison
My Grandad Alfred Yates married a lady called Ginny and they had a daughter Rose. Ginny died and grandad married her sister and had my dad in 1935 so it was a few years before or around that time that they were married. My grandad was in the army and they moved to hospital st around that time.
Thank you for help

davidkw said:
I used to workd with a David Yates at Inco, Wiggin Street. I think he later went to work at Doncasters in Sheffield. I'm just wondering if it's the same David Yates?

With your family tree it would a gret help if you could list some birth dates etc even if they are only approximate.
Hi, i dont think dad worked in Sheffield.He used to work at a place in perry barr by the railway station i think it was bill switchgears and then he worked at fisher and ludlow.
Dave

Copy marriage certificates can be bought at Broad street Registry office about £8.
This will at least give you their ages and fathers names etc so that other info my be verified

Mary Rose, I too have Yates in my tree - my gran's maiden name, I have loads of information but don't recognise your names, what was Alfred's father and grandfather's names, I might be able to help.

I think Alfreds father was George. Grandad had a sister called rose and ida and brothers Harry, George, Harold but i cant find any more.They were all tall and grandad was very handsome with jet black hair and green eyes.I cant seem to trace much more but i know that Georges wife had more sons and 3 were killed in the somme and i remember being told that my great gran died with breast cancer when she banged herself on a dolly tub.

Hi Mary Rose, I have had a look at my Yates family files, and this is some info. of the names you are interested in, these were given to me by a member of this forum but so far I haven't linked them with my family, unfortunately he did not give me any addresses, but they may help.

1881 Census

Alfred Yates b. about 1877 Aston
George Yates b. about 1864 Aston

1891 Census

Ernest A. age 10/12 b. Aston
Rose A. age 1 b. Perry Barr, Staffordshire (not part of Birmingham then).

1901 Census

Ernest A. age 10 b. Aston
Elsie 8 b. Aston Manor
Mary 31 b. Aston Manor
Rose A. 11 b. Handsoerth, Staffs.

1871 Census

Address - Lennox Street

Bertrand 35 Headb.Aston
Elizabeth 33 wife b. Aston
Albert 2 son b. Aston
Elizabeth 11 dau. b. Aston
Frederick 9 son b. Aston
George 6 son b/Aston
Henry 4 son b.Aston
Louisa 13 son (another mistake) ? b. Aston
Richard 15 son b. Aston

thanks , how do you find this stuff ? i am really getting into this now lol

If theres one thing the BRA Girls are good for its that :)

We did warn you Maryrose :D

Mary Rose, I started with the Mormon site and their IGI which is a free site, when I find a definite link, i.e. a birth which gives the parents names I go back about 25 years and try to find their marriage and so forth. Forgot to say I look on the 1881 census on the above site first. When I have more free time I will try and check the Yates given in my last post as I now have a subscription for ancestry.co.uk which has all the census' from 1851 thru to 1901. It may be we are related because all my Yates lived around Newtown Row,
Summer Lane, Manchester Street, Clifford Street and Lennox
Street, never moving very far in over 100 years.

Back