• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Village

I Am Nico

master brummie
Has anyone heard of a firm called Brunners possibly used to be in Moseley, they dipped metal objects in imitation silver and the like. Also a had made chocolate shop in Moseley both places late 50's onwards. I was told Moseley had a village atmosphere. I have been to Park Hill, and Chantry and Park Roads. Thanks. Nico

Hi nico ;
yes moseley village in those years was a rather quaint village a lovely superb place to live
and you can find more out on the hisyory from the mosely district society
chantry rd is still a lovely rd to walk down dont so much thou on park hill
i have been and done some work at one or two of those grand houses down chantry rd from the out side they are great
but venture inside they are grandier i was taken back by the feel and the atmosphere
in the years gone bye there was alsorts of people whom lived in that village ;
like alot of actors .poets ; and polititions ; whom one i went to but will not mention there family name
as they are still involved with the goverment ; i do not imagine they still live there today ;
that being this well known family; as its been near on fifty years since i went to there house
but our friend i am speaking of is still in office ;
and the old village post office as grown out of proportion i can recal the days when they started to expand and change the post office shop as it was today along with wake green rd
its not a place to live now; with al those druggies and down and outs its a shame he way the old village as gone ;
i used to repossess houses around in that area many years ago ;so i knew the are very well;
i do know that there was a film made but i just cannot recall the name and a article was done on the old post office in the late fifties and early sixties ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi nico ;
yes moseley village in those years was a rather quaint village a lovely superb place to live
and you can find more out on the hisyory from the mosely district society
chantry rd is still a lovely rd to walk down dont so much thou on park hill
i have been and done some work at one or two of those grand houses down chantry rd from the out side they are great
but venture inside they are grandier i was taken back by the feel and the atmosphere
in the years gone bye there was alsorts of people whom lived in that village ;
like alot of actors .poets ; and polititions ; whom one i went to but will not mention there family name
as they are still involved with the goverment ; i do not imagine they still live there today ;
that being this well known family; as its been near on fifty years since i went to there house
but our friend i am speaking of is still in office ;
and the old village post office as grown out of proportion i can recal the days when they started to expand and change the post office shop as it was today along with wake green rd
its not a place to live now; with al those druggies and down and outs its a shame he way the old village as gone ;
i used to repossess houses around in that area many years ago ;so i knew the are very well;
i do know that there was a film made but i just cannot recall the name and a article was done on the old post office in the late fifties and early sixties ;
best wishes astonian;;
Thank you Astonian. I will reply to you if I can do it again on a private message. We also walked along Chantry Road, the park is private. I was told you park a double decker in one of the halls, on seeing some of them you can. It is like stepping back in time.
Nico

Hi nico ;
yes that is very true it was like ging back in time into a time warp it was very strange atmosphere indeed
and every think was an orinional peices and surrounding materials i spent two dayus at one of the house
our goverment officier whom i spoke about moved down from kings heath to chantry rd ; more or less oppersite the house i spent two days at ; our friend the goverment officier i spoke about still holds ofice today he got on in age but still in a postion;
which people today still slate him off ; at my time spending wih them he was in his early years ;
the wife was a doctor by title as well
on the subject of park hill i can tell you there used to be an estate agent whom there family are still in bussiness but like again i cannot mention there names for legal reason ; i will call him gerrard his christian name ; which was his name any way ;
an old senior member of this family whom are still gong today in he bussiness
just to ay he owned alot of houses up park hill in those days that i do know i could take you them today ;
gerrard died quite afew years back many many years ago but the older guys whom would be his sibbling is running the show now ; i do not know what generation they are but they are still operating in brum and here in worcestershire
gerrard was abit of a doggy character but his famiy are sound ;
still i will leave it now but i do know alot more about the area but if you go and get intouch with the moseley society
you will get pictures and info as well;
its a crying shame how the ol vilage as disapeared andturned out the way it is ; i am trying to think of another old fellow whom was behid the moseley socity whom was a senior figure for this society whom actuley ran mosely ;there is alot of info on him as well he lived up sir harry rd ; and thats a place you want to be looking into in time gon bye ;

you had to be some one in those days to live in those houses beleive ;me i couldsit and tell you alot about the moseley area
but i have got to get the old dutchessoff to the doctors
speak soon astonian alan;

I lived in Park Hill circa 1969 / 70 and remember popping into Druckers for a cake or two as a treat when my sister came to visit.
Years later I worked for one of the Directors who used to live in the flat above the cafe. Such memory swapping went on, he met his wife there and his future MiL also worked there. When the cafe finally closed both he and Stephen Drucker went back for one last look. As I remember it he was shocked to find the same wallpaper was still on the wall!!!!!

I lived in Park Hill circa 1969 / 70 and remember popping into Druckers for a cake or two as a treat when my sister came to visit.
Years later I worked for one of the Directors who used to live in the flat above the cafe. Such memory swapping went on, he met his wife there and his future MiL also worked there. When the cafe finally closed both he and Stephen Drucker went back for one last look. As I remember it he was shocked to find the same wallpaper was still on the wall!!!!!
My birth family were there from 1956 to about 1961 I think but one came back again for a while. I think they said Druckers. We have one here it is the only shop now that I know of that sells proper fine pastries and cakes. They took over from Elizabeth the Chef. The other shop like that we had, really fancy for something special was called Gladdings. I believe the Cardoma was similar in Martineau Sq? Auntie was the head waitress in the end of the 1800's maybe.
Nico

Yes! I remember when Druckers bought Elizabeth the Chef shops. They wanted to get into Stratford and it was all part of the 'deal'. Druckers is part of a finance company's portfolio which also owns Patisserie Valerie in the London Area. They were the only company who could hold a candle to Drucker's, except for their gateaux which were creations (if you know what I mean!). A lot of the Pat Val products are in the cafes now as production at Sarehole Road Bakery has been streamlined.
Not like when Andre Drucker opened his first coffee shop in Aston so that we Brummies could taste a bit of Vienna!!!

Apart from Druckers and I dont go as I hate town and the street it's in, I have to wait to go to France. I come back fat. Hertford Street where it is, was a lovely old street some shops with bow fronts, and the Empire Cinema, with cars going up it. Now its a precinct mainly full of £ shops, charity shops, grotty cafés, cheapy shops and empty shops.

Still sometimes referred to as the "Village", the second postcard image is labelled 'village' but looks far bigger than a village. Obviously it had become a busy bustling centre with all the necessary shops and services looking at the first 1913 image. Wonder what was originally the extent of the village ? Any images of the early village anywhere ? Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Some more early photos of Moseley Village, no dates with these but I'm pretty sure all three are from the latter part of the 19th Century. No great changes from today save a little less busy and crowded.

Moseley Moseley Village (3).JPG Moseley Moseley Village (4).JPG Moseley Moseley Village (7).JPG

An etching of the Village by Murray Stewart. Sorry, but no date for this one. It’s entitled “Old Moseley Village” so it may not be quite as old as the period it portrays. Viv.

C964DF38-2A22-4B71-A07F-CD981A36D94D.jpeg

Some great photos there. In what year did the tram service change to buses? I knew the Village from 1950 onwards after we moved from Sparkhill, but it was always buses as far as I can recollect.

Maurice

The lower photo can be dated from 1912 - 1915. That batch of tramcars were built in 1912 and the route boards became a simple route numbers in 1915. Buses took over in October 1949 - routes 49 and 50.
The 1903 photo seems to be a steam tram.
Electric trams were extended to Moseley Road in 1905 but were not Corporation trams but City of Birmingham Tramways ones

Last edited:
Thanks, Alan, that explains why I don't remember trams on that route.

Maurice
Maybe my post was misleading Maurice. Most CBT trams were bought by the Corporation and they ceased at the end of 1911. Many were rebuilt by BCT as they were not up to the high standard of the newer Corporation trams. As mentioned the Moseley Road trams ran until 1949.

No problem, Alan, because I didn't move from Sparkhill to Kings Heath until 1950. But I still used the no. 6 tram from Martineau Street to visit my grandmother in Aston until they ceased completely.

Maurice

This is my wife's favourite photograph of Moseley Village. Why you ask? Well someone might. When she was a little girl back in the mists of time [1950s], she used to hug the tree on the left of the pic. whenever she went to the village with her mum. When she saw this pic [not sure where] we had an enlargement made as it it brings back happy memories.

Superdad 3

Attachments

• village 55.jpg
    village 55.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 72
well mort if its not changed from the old photos showing on this thread i must pay it a visit...obviously i wrongly thought it was very much changed these days

lyn

Lyn
And a little down the road, next to the ex-Moseley School of art, in the building we went to to see the photo exhibition, there is a very pleasant little community cafe, which I would recommend while you are over there for a tea or whatever

Back