• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Houses and care of WW2 Casualties...

I only knew him for a short time (through my husband) but he seemed popular with everyone. I know his Cornish neighbours thought a lot of him. We've gone a bit off the title here - hope the mods forgive us!!!

Alan,

I live in Crete and most unlikely that the small library in a Greek Orthodox country will have a subscription, but thanks for the information. :)

Maurice
Maurice realizing that I directed my post towards Janice, but didn't make it clear.

I'm sure they will do, Janice, and he was very popular at MGS. But at least you enjoyed your guided tour! :)

Maurice

That photo of the Dingle brings back many memories for me although I recall it in the late 40's early 50's.

My mother worked there as a nurse when it was a nursing home under the care of Miss King and Miss Edith who I believe were sisters. As I was recovering from a serious illness, I was taken there many times to play out in the gardens with Clayton the gardener who also stoked the boilers with coke. Although I was supposed to be enjoying plenty of fresh air, (to recover from TB) I went down the stoke hole and can smell it to this day.

The grounds of the Dingle were very impressive and contained a number of horse chestnut trees and the conkers were all mine!

I was allowed inside the Dingle, which I believe was described originally as "A Gentleman's Residence" and recall the old candlestick phone in the kitchen and the bell indicator board in the hallway. I had a peep into the operating theatre as well - very exciting for a young lad.
do you have any photos of the Dingle as my Great Grandfather died there on 26/12/36, I just wondered what sort of nursing home it was ?

The large homes of many of the more affluent villagers were given over to the cause, providing hospital and hostel accommodation for the wounded and their visiting family members. Moor Green House, the horne of Sir John Holder, was turned into a hostel for Belgian refugees and later a hospital for officers, which was staffed by local girls. Chamberlain's residences at Highbury also became a war hospital. Sorrento took in military casualties from 1915 and Stanley House, standing on the comer of Wake Green and Mayfield Roads, served temporarily as a hostel for Belgian refugees, as did Uffculme, whose first guests arrived in September 1914. Two years later, it was turned into a 200-bed hospital, run by the Friends Ambulance Unit after Richard Cadbury donated it to the war effort. The Dingle, Wake Green Road, was utilised by The Red Cross, and Spring Hill College was commandeered in 1914 for use as barracks for The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. This, however, was not big enough and many more men were billeted with nearby residents, and Windermere, a vacant building opposite, became officers' quarters.

Moor Green Hall, stood on Moor Green Lane opposite Yew Tree Road. It was the home of Arthur Chamberlain, brother of Joseph Chamberlain. The house was used by the Red Cross during the First World War as a military hospital. The north end of Elizabeth Road now runs on the site of the hall.

The New York Times reported an incident at the hall of the previous day in its edition of 13 February 1914:

Birmingham, 12th. A tube charged with high explosives was found to-day on a window sill of Moor Green Hall, Highbury, near here, the residence of Arthur Chamberlain, brother of the Right Hon. Joseph Chamberlain.

A fuse attached to the bomb was connected with a photographer's lamp in which a candle had been burning. The flame, however, was extinguished before it reached the fuse. A postcard addressed to Reginald McKenna, the Home secretary, was found near by. It bore the words, "Militancy is not dead., but if you are not already you soon will be." A quantity of suffrage literature was left nearby.

In 1914 Joseph had been long out of politics through ill health, while Arthur was chairman of Kynoch's making weapons.

Moor Green House, the home of Sir John Holder's son, stood on the east side of Moor Green Lane just before its junction with Yew Tree Road. During the First World War it was used as a hostel for Belgian refugees and then as a military hospital. It was demolished in 1920 and the Britannic Assurance office block was built in the grounds. This has recently been converted into luxury private flats. Boundary Drive stands roughly on the site of the original house.

Moor Green Lane was largely developed with good middle-class housing in the early 20th century, although The Firs c1886, Heatherdene 1891 and Englefield c1898 are late 19th-century. Houses here were built on plots sold separately and individually designed by various architects. Building was complete by the 1920s.

View attachment 115383 View attachment 115384 View attachment 115385 View attachment 115386 View attachment 115387 View attachment 115388 View attachment 115391 View attachment 115394 View attachment 115395 View attachment 115396 So, here are the Moseley Wartime Military ‘Hospitals’ ….and their pics where I have them….any more gratefully received….?

Moor Green House

Moor Green Hall

Highbury

Sorrento Hospital

Stanley House

Uffculme

The Dingle

Spring Hill College

Windemere
[/QUOTESent

Do you have any photos of Stanley House School as my father was a pupil there from 1934 age 9 to 1943. Also any of the Dingle where my Great Grandfather died in 1936. Many thanks if you do ?

Better late than never...........

The Lucas house in St Agnes Road, Moseley was used as a hostel during WWII according to article in Birmingham Post in 1998. See copy of part of the article below:

The property, which was built in 1899, was the dream home of Mr Harry Lucas, the eldest son of Mr Joseph Lucas. Together they started Joseph Lucas and Sons in 1883, a firm which later grew to be one of the largest manufacturing employers in the region. The property has now been returned to its former glory by Prof Kumar Bhattacharyya and his wife, Bridie, who have even restored a small pulpit halfway up the first flight of stairs which was once used by Harry Lucas to conduct family prayers. He named the property in St Agnes Road, Moseley, "Hilver" after his two children Hilda and Oliver. He died in 1939 and the house was sold and used as a hostel during the war. Ten years later, Lucas's bought it back when bosses at the firm looked for somewhere to train their staff. Only one course at a time could be held there until January, 1952, when the company bought the house next door and expanded what became their training headquarters.

The Lucas house in St Agnes Road, Moseley was used as a hostel during WWII according to article in Birmingham Post in 1998. See copy of part of the article below:

The property, which was built in 1899, was the dream home of Mr Harry Lucas, the eldest son of Mr Joseph Lucas. Together they started Joseph Lucas and Sons in 1883, a firm which later grew to be one of the largest manufacturing employers in the region. The property has now been returned to its former glory by Prof Kumar Bhattacharyya and his wife, Bridie, who have even restored a small pulpit halfway up the first flight of stairs which was once used by Harry Lucas to conduct family prayers. He named the property in St Agnes Road, Moseley, "Hilver" after his two children Hilda and Oliver. He died in 1939 and the house was sold and used as a hostel during the war. Ten years later, Lucas's bought it back when bosses at the firm looked for somewhere to train their staff. Only one course at a time could be held there until January, 1952, when the company bought the house next door and expanded what became their training headquarters.
[

I used to visit Hilver when I worked at Lucas Aerospace Shaftmoor Lane in 1980s, I remember the pulpit, would have been a lovely home back in the 1900s when my Great Grandfather and his family lived in Church Road. Glad that the house was kept as it was by the professor.

Back