• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley C Of E School

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A description of the school from British History Online:

MOSELEY C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, School Road.(27) Moseley National Sch. (in fact not in union with Nat. Soc. although always known by this name) (21) opened 1828,(21) comprising 2 schoolrooms, one over the other, and a teacher's house.(22) In 1833 there were 150 B, G in attendance; supported by 2d. fees and subscriptions.(3) N.o.b. 1846: 75 B, G; there were a master and mistress.(30). Received state grants from 1854,(1) when it was taught as a M sch. with 1d. fees.(22) Enlarged 1888, 1894.(21) 1899:3 depts. (B, G, I).(13) Altered 1902. Sch. enlarged 1917. Reorganized 1931 for M, I. Reorganized 1948 for JI only. Accom. for 90 provided 1951 in Moseley Parochial Hall.(21) Became a controlled sch. 1949. Accom. 1961: 8 classrooms, hall.(28)

Below is a 1953 class photo from the Library of Birmingham Archives. Viv.

image.jpeg

A description of the school from British History Online:

MOSELEY C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, School Road.(27) Moseley National Sch. (in fact not in union with Nat. Soc. although always known by this name) (21) opened 1828,(21) comprising 2 schoolrooms, one over the other, and a teacher's house.(22) In 1833 there were 150 B, G in attendance; supported by 2d. fees and subscriptions.(3) N.o.b. 1846: 75 B, G; there were a master and mistress.(30). Received state grants from 1854,(1) when it was taught as a M sch. with 1d. fees.(22) Enlarged 1888, 1894.(21) 1899:3 depts. (B, G, I).(13) Altered 1902. Sch. enlarged 1917. Reorganized 1931 for M, I. Reorganized 1948 for JI only. Accom. for 90 provided 1951 in Moseley Parochial Hall.(21) Became a controlled sch. 1949. Accom. 1961: 8 classrooms, hall.(28)

Below is a 1953 class photo from the Library of Birmingham Archives. Viv.

View attachment 119407
I have a programme from the school entertainment of 1935. Is there anyone that I can send this to

I have a programme from the school entertainment of 1935. Is there anyone that I can send this to
The Moseley Society, I think, would love to receive the programme. They have a very active local history group with a growing collection of items on Moseley. I am a member.

Hon Sec can be contacted at

Fiona Adams
36 Grove Avenue
Moseley
Birmingham
B13 9RY

Last edited:
My three children all attended Moseley Church of England School. It was a very good school.

After the new school was opened on Oxford Rd, the old school became a "community centre" known as Centre 13 & run by St Marys Church. It was a hive of activity from uniformed organisations, lunch clubs for the elderly, play groups & all sorts of other groups. Sadly it closed about 2005 and the site was sold off and retirement flats built there.

Centre 13 much missed. The inscribed stone [National School 1828] was moved to the grounds of the new school.

Came across this book on ebay. Fascinating history of the school until 1969 when it moved into the new building on Oxford Road.

The origins of the school arose from meeting of the Freeholders in June 1827 when it was agreed "that it is expedient in the present state of this chapelry, that a schoolroom should be built, and some new plan arranged for the Education of the Poor". Posh children didn't attend! They went to private schools.

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_0002.jpg
    IMG_20201031_0002.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 9
SCHOOL CLASS PHOTO MOSLEY CP -MIKE TURLEY. (2).jpg HI I ATTENDED MOSELEY C.E SCHOOL FROM 1960 TO 1963
CAME ACROSS THIS CLASS PHOTO -( MRS OTTMANS CLASS ) - SOME MEMBERS MAY BE IN THIS PHOTO
I LEFT BIRMINGHAM IN LATE 1963 TO LIVE IN LIVERPOOL.
IF ANY MEMBERS RECOGNISE THIS CLASS IT WOULD BE GOOD IF THEY COULD
REMEMBER THE NAMES OF ANY OF THE CLASSMATES IN THE PHOTO
I AM 4TH FROM THE LEFT SEATED ON THE FIRST ROW.
THOUGHT IT MAY BE OF INTEREST ON YOUR FORUM
ALL THE BEST MIKE.

Last edited:
View attachment 150126 HI I ATTENDED MOSELEY C.E SCHOOL FROM 1960 TO 1963
CAME ACROSS THIS CLASS PHOTO - SOME MEMBERS MAY BE IN THIS PHOTO
I LEFT BIRMINGHAM IN LATE 1963 TO LIVE IN LIVERPOOL.
IF ANY MEMBERS RECOGNISE THIS CLASS IT WOULD BE GOOD IF THEY COULD
REMEMBER THE NAMES OF ANY OF THE CLASSMATES IN THE PHOTO
I AM 4TH FROM THE LEFT SEATED ON THE FIRST ROW.
THOUGHT IT MAY BE OF INTEREST ON YOUR FORUM
ALL THE BEST MIKE.
Great photo. My 3 children attended but a lot later.
NB: move to main Moseley C of E thread?

FOUND ANOTHER CLASS PHOTO FOR MOSELEY C.E 1960
I AM SEATED 2ND FROM THE LEFT ON THE FRONT ROW.
I WAS 7 YEARS OLD THAT YEAR.
ANY MEMBER WHO MAY HAVE ATTENDED MOSELEY C.E THAT YEAR MAY
REMEMBER SOME OF THEIR CLASSMATES.

Attachments

• SCHOOL PHOTO MIKE TURLEY IN MOSELEY BIRMINGHAM 1960. (2).jpg
    SCHOOL PHOTO MIKE TURLEY IN MOSELEY BIRMINGHAM 1960. (2).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 23
AN ITEM I FOUND WHEN AT MOSELEY CP SCHOOL IN BIRMINGHAM IN 1960
I DO NOT REMEMBER WHY I RECEIVED IT - I CAME ACROSS IT RECENTLY
I LIVED IN SPRINGFIELD ROAD FOR A SHORT TIME
THEN MOVED TO MARLDON ROAD IN KINGSHEATH WHERE I LIVED WITH MY
AUNT , UNTIL 1963 WHEN I WAS SENT TO LIVERPOOL TO BE REUNITED