• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Montgomery Street School

I was i touch with Billy Woodall until a few years ago. His contact ceased so I don't know what happened.
I hope he is alright I remember his mom was confined to bed and Billy used to help her really good lad I still have photos of the football and cricket team like I say really enjoyed my time at Montgomery Street

It was with great interest and pleasure that I read through this thread about Montgomery Street school and anecdotes about my father Don Brazier and the other teachers who I still remember.
I too have a set of the Living Together books. I remember the car pictured in the books and the Volkswagen Beetle car he later owned. I know he greatly enjoyed his many years at this school which he helped adapt to the needs of the changing community over the years.
I loved the trip to the farm in your fathers car as I'd never been in an open top car before. He was the best headteacher and everything useful I learned was from my time at Montgomery.
When I went to school one morning most of the children had had their 11 Plus results and he asked if I'd got mine, I told him our postman always came later in the morning so after an hour or so he drove me to our house so I could check the post and it was there, I'd passed and I never forgot his kindness in doing that for me.
He knew my parents well because of the Living Together books, they were in them too.
My father came with me to the House of Commons along with the other children from the books and your father to celebrate the publishing of them.
Robert Maxwell was our host and we had lunch there then took a trip in his Rolls Royce to Hamleys where we were given £25 each to spend on anything we wanted.....that was a lot of money in 1965 !!

Back