• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Montgomery Street School

I remember the school and staff whose names you have mentioned, and jumble sales to get money for the christmas party where Mr Brazier, holding an invisible pin, which when we were all silent would drop and if we had been quiet enough santa would hear it fall (and us children!) then santa would come into the hall. They were difficult times and Mr Brazier and staff will be remembered fondly for all their efforts!

Re: Mr D.B Brazier headteacher Montgomery School till late 70s

I have a set of these books, I was 'Mary' in them. It was a fun time getting out of school to have the photos taken and I still have all of the newspaper clippings. I loved my time at Montgomery Street, I learned so much and started with Mrs Askew. I remember a school report when I was 6 years old saying I could read almost anything....all down to their wonderful teaching methods.

Ooops this was supposed to be in response to the 'Living Together' books thread.....I'll get the hang of this at some point !!

GillianJH I have this photo in my set of books 'Living Together'....I can scan it and send it to you

Have you still got the picture?

I think I remember this or a similar incident. I was born in November 1955 so started the school I presume in September 1960. I have vivid memories of a boy or boys on the stage in assembly sucking soap to "clean their mouths out" after being caught swearing. Imagine that today!! There would be outrage.

I went to Montgomery in 1974-1981. Mr Brazier was my very first Headmaster. I remember him being very smart, high expectations. I remember the jar of sweets for reading to him. I also remember that we had to line up in the morning and he would walk along the rows of children. We would be required to show him both sides of our hands and he would check our shoes were clean, I am sure he would check shirt collars too. You would be in trouble if anything we not as it should be. Mr Abbey took over after Mr Brazier retired. I have 2 boys and I think teachers could do with some of the measures employed to instil discipline.

I went to this school in 1963/ 65 and lived in the old Bolton road ,408 , this is where my school life began. . To then go to Dennis's road of the lady pool road, surname Carolan a Mrs askew comes to mind as a school teacher.

GillianJH I have this photo in my set of books 'Living Together'....I can scan it and send it to you
Apologies for my interjection into your 2014 conversation albeit now 5-years hence.... but I’ve been trying to track down a copy of these books for years. I first found out about them, some 25-30 years ago, when my niece brought home a book belonging to her teacher that contained pictures of her dad and me aged circa 5 and 10. My name is Emerson and my wife (Reba) and our siblings all attended Montgomery JI School between 1957 and 1973. We’re pictured in one or more of the books alongside many of our friends and neighbours, past and present. If you still have your copies I’d be keen to know more and/or share an image or text. I’m the boy pictured on the front & centrefold of one the books drawing a cowboy in crayon. I was in Mrs Askew’s reception class where for some reason the School Secretary (Mrs Walton who used to failitate the morning break-time biscuits) was acting as a stand-in. For whatever reason I was never in Miss Hingley’s (Class-4) but I seemed to do a spell with everyone else: Infants - Miss Askew, Folden, Baker, Hingley, Gorniak and for the Juniors: Miss Jones/Moss, Griffiths and my final two years with Mr Palmer.

I was at the school from 1957 (one of “The Twins”) beginning in Mrs. Askew’s class and remember all of these teachers. If anyone could track down these books I would be most grateful!

Class photos from 1930. Viv.

Attachments

• 37571C77-5F2C-4098-A1D9-8DF95A8B9962.jpeg
    37571C77-5F2C-4098-A1D9-8DF95A8B9962.jpeg
    678.4 KB · Views: 32
I was at the school from 1957 (one of “The Twins”) beginning in Mrs. Askew’s class and remember all of these teachers. If anyone could track down these books I would be most grateful!
I was at Montgomery school 56-63 then went on to Yardley Grammar school 63-70 ,what was your surname ?

I was at Montgomery Street from 1950 until 1957 and then to Yardley Grammar School 1957 until 1962. Mr Brazier was indeed an inspirational headmaster. My enduring memory of him was his entering a classroom and asking the class "What is the heaviest, a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?". Someone always fell into the trap!

It was with great interest and pleasure that I read through this thread about Montgomery Street school and anecdotes about my father Don Brazier and the other teachers who I still remember.
I too have a set of the Living Together books. I remember the car pictured in the books and the Volkswagen Beetle car he later owned. I know he greatly enjoyed his many years at this school which he helped adapt to the needs of the changing community over the years.

It was with great interest and pleasure that I read through this thread about Montgomery Street school and anecdotes about my father Don Brazier and the other teachers who I still remember.
I too have a set of the Living Together books. I remember the car pictured in the books and the Volkswagen Beetle car he later owned. I know he greatly enjoyed his many years at this school which he helped adapt to the needs of the changing community over the years.
So pleased to find this site. My first memory of Montgomery Street was my first day, sitting on the side of the hall with my Mum waiting to go into Mr. Brazier's office. I don't remember what their conversation was about, but seem to remember he gave me a sweet. I was then taken to Mrs. Askew's class for my first day at school. Lovely memories and he was a great headteacher.

So pleased to find this site. My first memory of Montgomery Street was my first day, sitting on the side of the hall with my Mum waiting to go into Mr. Brazier's office. I don't remember what their conversation was about, but seem to remember he gave me a sweet. I was then taken to Mrs. Askew's class for my first day at school. Lovely memories and he was a great headteacher.
What year did you start Montgomery School ? I was there 56-63.

Yes I was. Were you in that class?
Yes in Mrs Jones class i played for the football and cricket team Stephen Nicholls was a good friend Used to go roller skating Saturday morning with some of the class at the Embassy rink I was only at Montgomery Street for a year really enjoyed my time there wish I’d have been there longer I’ve lived in Morecambe since being 12

I liked Mrs. Jones, too. In that year I played Alice in Through the Looking Glass at Christmas, and Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion for our leaving play. An ambitious project for her! She took me and my 'understudy' to Coventry to see My Fair Lady as preparation.

I liked Mrs. Jones, too. In that year I played Alice in Through the Looking Glass at Christmas, and Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion for our leaving play. An ambitious project for her! She took me and my 'understudy' to Coventry to see My Fair Lady as preparation.
I remember going on a school trip that year can’t remember where to though can’t remember the school plays though was that a boys thing not remembering I remember Mr Court who ran the football team and Mr Stone who ran the cricket team When i came back to Birmingham i saw Keith Liversidge a few times probably in my early twenties as he knew some of of my childhood friends from Small Heath

I remember Mr. Court, too. Year before Mrs. Jones, I think. I remember his being on a school trip to London Zoo, but not sure if that was the year I was in his class. You still in touch with Keith?

I remember Mr. Court, too. Year before Mrs. Jones, I think. I remember his being on a school trip to London Zoo, but not sure if that was the year I was in his class. You still in touch with Keith?
I haven’t seen Keith since in my early twenties another lad i remember his name was Billy Woodall he lived across from the school and he was the goalkeeper in the football team and Tommy Parkinson another team mate as i still have a year book which is getting a bit tatty now I haven’t seen any of them since i left the school except Keith

Back