• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Military Uniform Portrait - Possibly East Lancs

c.kember

knowlegable brummie
Hi there,

I have this old photograph which I know is of a relative but I have no information.

If anyone can help identify the unusual uniform and perhaps the era this might help

Kind regards
img042.jpg
Chris

Hello Chris.

Looks like your military man is carrying a riding crop ? so a Calvary Regiment ?

Do you know this relatives name & roughly the year this lovely photo was taken ?
There are some excellent "Military" researchers on site so with a little more info they will probably be able to help.

Good luck, John

Hi there,

thank you so much for your messages. Really helpful and much appreciated.

The only relative I can think it might be was called:

Samuel Hemming 1796-1877.

I know that he enlisted with 'His Majesty's First Regiment of Life-Guards' on 02/01/1822. He was then discharged 13/02/1827 due to Injury sustained whilst on duty at Wormwood Scrubs which was leased by the War Office in order to exercise cavalry horses
A description of Samuel is given at the time of his discharge: A description of Samuel is given at the time of his discharge on 13th February 1827: "about 28 years of age, 6 feet 1 inch in height, Fair hair, blue eyes, and light complexion. This could be the man in the photograph as he is about that height.
Also the riding crop suggests the man was in a cavalry regiment?

Any help would really be appreciated

Kind reagrds

Chris

A description of Samuel is given at the time of his discharge: A description of Samuel is given at the time of his discharge on 13th February 1827: "about 28 years of age, 6 feet 1 inch in height, Fair hair, blue eyes, and light complexion

Hallo Chris,
The "riding crop" is a bit of a red herring, most soldiers around that time used to carry a "swagger stick", which I think the one in the picture looks like.
As for the uniform-my money is on The East Lancashire regiment. Type it in for a google search and a picture comes up on wickipedia.
Baz.

You could be right about the 'swagger stick', I've also read that they were sometimes a 'prop' supplied by the photographer.

Nick

†hank you so much for your nessages and information.

You mentioned the Lancashire Regiemnt.
The only relative who I can think it could be was called

John Elijah Kember and I have him recorded as ‘Colour Sergeant Kember JE’ of the Oxford 43rd Light Infantry.

He was originally from Birmingham but enlisted in Cork in 1872. He was then posted out in Madras, India on Active Service for over 7 years, where he also married.
He was discharged in 1886.

John Elijah Kember then went to Live in Lancashire where he ran a Public House up until his death in 1897.

So we do have a connection with Lancashire here. I wonder if that uniform would fit the regiment?

Kind regards

Chris

The picture on wickipedia, showing the uniform of the East Lancs. regiment, certainly seems to match your photo Chris, those cuffs are pretty distinctive !

Baz

Back