• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MAYPOLE WORKS

superdad3

master brummie
This building is on the corner of Maypole Lane/Highters Heath Lane B14. The picture shows the front [office block etc] - the factory is to the rear and wasquite substantial.
1706798711043.jpeg630720_web_medium.jpg

My wife who lived near the Maypole said that it was known locally [1950s] as the Eiderdown Factory. We still have an eiderdown that her parents bought via a neighbour who worked there, as you did in those days. She also thinks that she had some childrens clothes that were made there. I've seen a suggestion that the factory was build in the 1930s.

After closure it became a button factory for a time known as Screwfix Buttons Ltd. perhaps early 1960s but probably on a small scale as the premises seem to have been shared. After closure it was put up for auction in 2021. The factory is still there but in poor condition. A virtual tour can be seen at https://www.bondwolfe.com/auctions/properties/131089-property-auction-birmingham/

I wonder if anyone remembers it or even worked there?

The 1956 Kellys lists it as Holdsworth Textiles Ltd. down quilt mfrs. In the 1965 edition it is listed both Holdsworth & Screwfix, and in 1967 edition as just Screwfix. The factory appears in Kellys between the 1943 and 1946 editions. But from the design I would guess that the house was there previously

This building is on the corner of Maypole Lane/Highters Heath Lane B14. The picture shows the front [office block etc] - the factory is to the rear and wasquite substantial.
View attachment 188713View attachment 188712

My wife who lived near the Maypole said that it was known locally [1950s] as the Eiderdown Factory. We still have an eiderdown that her parents bought via a neighbour who worked there, as you did in those days. She also thinks that she had some childrens clothes that were made there. I've seen a suggestion that the factory was build in the 1930s.

After closure it became a button factory for a time known as Screwfix Buttons Ltd. perhaps early 1960s but probably on a small scale as the premises seem to have been shared. After closure it was put up for auction in 2021. The factory is still there but in poor condition. A virtual tour can be seen at https://www.bondwolfe.com/auctions/properties/131089-property-auction-birmingham/

I wonder if anyone remembers it or even worked there?
I remember this factory well, I lived nearby when I was a kid. In my day the building had a large clock fixed in a bracket on the wall.

Back