• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Map - website

Ewan

master brummie
Does anybody know of a website where I can find one map showing parishes in Birmingham please. The sort of thing I mean is when you visit a record office and they have these maps you can ponder over.

Hi Phil

Thanks very miuch for the reply, that was a good map of Birmingham, but I was really looking for one with the parishes on it so I could see where they all were in relation to each other.

Ewan

Ewan

As it shows all the different wards, such as St Mary, St Steven & St Bartholomew Wards I thought they were parishes, but there again I know very little of ecclesiastical boundaries. Sorry.

Phil

Hi Phil

The reason I wanted a map with the parishes on was to see the whereabouts of the parish of St Thomas was to St Phillips. Also in relation to these 2 where is Edgbaston?

Ewan

Hi Ewan

I see your difficulty now, realising that the link I posted only shows the East of Birmingham at that time. This would probably be because most of the rest would then be Worcestershire to the South and Staffordshire to the north.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I am sure that someone who can be of more help will be along shortly.

Phil

Thanks Phil and bren.

That is a great link bren, with the parishes clearly being seen, just wish it could all be on one page but I'll be able to manage with that.

Thanks
Ewan

Hi Ewan, yes i thought it might be possible to stitch them together in one of the paint prog's, if i get time i will have a go and repost it

bren

Hi bren, that would be most helpful if you can do that, only if and when you get the time though of course. Many thanks Ewan.

Thank you for your links as well John.

Bren my son managed to paste together the four maps, looking for the parish of St Philips but can't seem to find it.

Hi Ewan,

Edgbaston Old Church (parish of St. Bartholomew) is in Church Rd. Edgbaston. St. Thomas's is in Bath Row, Holloway Head, Ladywood. And St. Philip's, right in the heart of Brum, in Colmore Row.

Ann

Hi Ann

Hi Ewan,

Edgbaston Old Church (parish of St. Bartholomew) is in Church Rd. Edgbaston. St. Thomas's is in Bath Row, Holloway Head, Ladywood. And St. Philip's, right in the heart of Brum, in Colmore Row.

Ann

Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that Edgbaston Old Church in the parish of St Bartholomew, is this St Bartholomew as in the map just east of St Peter's District, or would it be on another map of Edgbaston?

I finally found St Philips nestled right in the heart of Brum as you pointed out to me, thank you for that.

Ewan

Ewan,

Edgbaston Old Church, St. Bartholomew's, would be just below St. Thomas's, if it were on the map. That is why I gave you the address, so you could perhaps look on google maps to see where they are in relation to each other. It is confusing though.

Ann

Hi Ann, I can be so dim, I understand what you mean now, must be the excitement of Christmas:)

Ewan, well done, i never learn, just spent time doing that map and went to post it only to find i should have looked first, before i started :D :D :cry: :p

bren

For those who haven't seen them before, here are miniature copies of the maps I drew which were available at the 60s night bash. They are (1 and 2) Birmingham in 1553, based on a Victorian reconstruction from a detailed written survey, and (3 and 4) Birmingham in 1778, based on maps by Hanson and Snape. The originals are A4 size, the area of an open A4 size book, and the Timelord has a stock of them.
I am thinking of getting the printed larger, but haven't done anything about it yet.
I will follow with two more maps I have done since then.
Peter

And here are two maps I have since produced, one taken from Pye's\ map of 1795 and the other from John Kempson in 1810. I'm working on John Pigott Smith's detailed map of 1824-5, which is a stinker to do, because of distortion of the different sections.
Peter

Peter - What fabulous maps. I have enjoyed looking at them so very much; what a wealth of iinformation to look through. Thanks for posting them, I am going to be looking at them all afternoon now :)

Judy

Peter, what wonderful detailed maps, you must be congratulated on your efforts.

We are indeed fortunate to have you as a friend and member of this Forum.

Back