• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lerose Ladies Dress Shop

sylviasayers

master brummie
Does anyone remember when Lerose Ladies Dress Shop moved into the old Griffins Greengrocery Shop on the corner of Burlington Street and Newtown Row?

Sylvia,
in 1961 I was what would be now size 8 (those were the days) only in the sixties the lowest size in the shops was 10 so clothes used to hang off me ( yes, those were the days).

My future mother in law at the time worked at the factory which made the Lerose brand and she had them make me a cream crimplene suit size 8 for my going away outfit after my wedding,it was beautiful and it was the first time that I had owned anything that fitted so perfectly.

Alberta, it would be lovely to be a size 10 now wouldn't it. I bet you felt a million dollars in your cream suit. I used to buy quite a few clothes from the Lerose shop, the earliest I can recall was around 1960/61, but a friend insists it was some years earlier, so would like to know the date it opened in Newtown Row.

Hi everyone :) I was Googling Lerose and stumbled upon your forum. I'm wearing a Lerose dress today that I inherited from my mother. She received it from her elder sister, my aunt who lives in Manchester. My mother lives in Penang, Malaysia and I live in Kuala Lumpur, the capital city. I'm wearing the dress today and I also have a photo of my mother wearing it in 1981. My aunt had it in the 1970s. My mum is now 83 and my aunt, who still lives in Manchester is 89. :) The dress still looks as good as new and it's at least 42 years old - if not older. Thanks, Lerose, and the designers of the day, for being a part of our family style memories :)

Attachments

• Mum n Me Lerose Dress.jpg
    Mum n Me Lerose Dress.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 13
Thought I would add a small contribution to this thread off a search:

Also a small amount on this forum under "Lerose" in search

Last edited:
Back