• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lea Village GP from 60s Mirfield Surgery - Poolway Medical Centre

Brummie27

master brummie
I am having trouble finding my original GP from the 60's and think his name was Dr. Cane or Caine. There was a GP that joined this practice Dr. Goldstein and they worked from Lea Village Surgery/not sure of the name - it was a house initially (this is now a children's nursery). I am not sure if this surgery was called Mirfield Surgery as I was a child when I used to go to this surgery and there was no name above the door etc.

When the surgery moved out of the house two Doctors went separate ways. But looking at google they both look like they choose the same surgery name - Mirfield Surgery. One went to Scholars Gate, Mirfield School and the other stayed within the Lea Village but also called themselves Mirfield Surgery. Dr. Sahay also went into the Scholars Gate practice but they operated as separate entities in the same building.

This had not been an issue until recent years when I requested my medical records from the Poolway Medical Centre.

I was moved with Mirfield surgery that went to Scholars Gate, Mirfield School as my Mother set this up for the family and the GP was Dr. Goldstein. But he left some years later but the GP that took over from him had already started at the practice and it was Dr. N. Khan. The Mirfield School site was demolished and they moved to the Poolway Medical Centre and that was when the surgery name changed. The Poolway Shopping centre was demolished in the last few years but the GP moved to 80 Church Lane. This time keeping the Poolway Medical Centre name.

I requested my medical records over 12 months ago and last week finally got these. But there are many gaps and the GP has said it was because I registered with another GP during this time and they name this surgery as Mirfield Surgery.

This is so confusing, all I want is my full medical history papers. But they don't seem to remember that they were called Mirfield Surgery. plus it doesn't help that there is a Mirfield Surgery still in existence but not the one I joined.

Please can anyone help me with any dates of when Mirfield Surgery originated or if the house at the Lea Village was Mirfield Surgery or some other name. I just need to contact someone to get my full medical history and my current GP who I feel I have never moved from don't appear to have all my records. There is nothing before 1990 and gaps in 2000's as well.

Any one got any idea of how I can track down what happened. I would be so grateful.

I am having trouble finding my original GP from the 60's and think his name was Dr. Cane or Caine. There was a GP that joined this practice Dr. Goldstein and they worked from Lea Village Surgery/not sure of the name - it was a house initially (this is now a children's nursery). I am not sure if this surgery was called Mirfield Surgery as I was a child when I used to go to this surgery and there was no name above the door etc.

When the surgery moved out of the house two Doctors went separate ways. But looking at google they both look like they choose the same surgery name - Mirfield Surgery. One went to Scholars Gate, Mirfield School and the other stayed within the Lea Village but also called themselves Mirfield Surgery. Dr. Sahay also went into the Scholars Gate practice but they operated as separate entities in the same building.

This had not been an issue until recent years when I requested my medical records from the Poolway Medical Centre.

I was moved with Mirfield surgery that went to Scholars Gate, Mirfield School as my Mother set this up for the family and the GP was Dr. Goldstein. But he left some years later but the GP that took over from him had already started at the practice and it was Dr. N. Khan. The Mirfield School site was demolished and they moved to the Poolway Medical Centre and that was when the surgery name changed. The Poolway Shopping centre was demolished in the last few years but the GP moved to 80 Church Lane. This time keeping the Poolway Medical Centre name.

I requested my medical records over 12 months ago and last week finally got these. But there are many gaps and the GP has said it was because I registered with another GP during this time and they name this surgery as Mirfield Surgery.

This is so confusing, all I want is my full medical history papers. But they don't seem to remember that they were called Mirfield Surgery. plus it doesn't help that there is a Mirfield Surgery still in existence but not the one I joined.0121 7850795

Please can anyone help me with any dates of when Mirfield Surgery originated or if the house at the Lea Village was Mirfield Surgery or some other name. I just need to contact someone to get my full medical history and my current GP who I feel I have never moved from don't appear to have all my records. There is nothing before 1990 and gaps in 2000's as well.

Any one got any idea of how I can track down what happened. I would be so grateful.
Dr N Khan has moved to Poolway Medical Centre, Church Lane, which is the old school clinic building at the Glebe the phone No. 0121 785 0795 Dr Khan succeeded Dr Goldstein.

1968 phone book lists 3 doctors at Lea Village Caines, Aston and Denton
1646066159972.png
Gone back a bit 1962 same address but just Caines and Denton.

In 1975 and 1980 it was still Caines and Denton at the same address.
I can't find a Mirfield surgery as they used to list them by the Doctor's names.

1959 Dr Caines was at Cooks Lane. He seems to have moved to Lea Village about 1961/2

Last edited:
1968 phone book lists 3 doctors at Lea Village Caines, Aston and Denton
View attachment 168005
Gone back a bit 1962 same address but just Caines and Denton.

In 1975 and 1980 it was still Caines and Denton at the same address.
I can't find a Mirfield surgery as they used to list them by the Doctor's names.

1959 Dr Caines was at Cooks Lane. He seems to have moved to Lea Village about 1961/2
Thank you for this info. I don’t remember a name being on the house but Dr Goldstein appeared before the move to Mirfield Surgery Scholars Gate. I wonder if the move is more 80’s. When does Mirfield Surgery appear?

I know Dr Caine either started or joined Mirfield Surgery practice but looking at google Dr Goldstein also created Mirfield Surgery but they were different surgeries.
I definitely haven’t moved surgeries it’s just they changed names and moved buildings. I’ve got to go back to them and make them aware that they were listed as Mirfield Surgery before and then Dr Caine before that.
The practice is not being helpful at all. So it doesn’t help. The NHS say they don’t look after GP’s as they franchised but surely some organisation monitors them.

Attachments

• 362715A4-CE55-4EAE-9E4A-4B7933B178CF.jpeg
    362715A4-CE55-4EAE-9E4A-4B7933B178CF.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 28EEBF98-3691-4A2E-AF19-478FD0DFF568.png
    28EEBF98-3691-4A2E-AF19-478FD0DFF568.png
    667.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 056BB594-993F-44F4-9AE9-05CAFC994F06.jpeg
    056BB594-993F-44F4-9AE9-05CAFC994F06.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 4
Dr N Khan has moved to Poolway Medical Centre, Church Lane, which is the old school clinic building at the Glebe the phone No. 0121 785 0795 Dr Khan succeeded Dr Goldstein.
Hello, yes she succeed Dr Goldstein and my records should have just moved seamlessly as I didn’t move anywhere. But my records appear to be missing in mid 2000’s and nothing before 1990. It’s just very strange. I have requested my medical records but it’s taken over 12 months and they are not all there. I’m going to have to go back to them. I thought I’d ask for help to my facts right first. Thank you for your help.

He seems to be CaineS .
Phone directories end on Ancestry at 1984 and not all years include Birmingham directories.

Hello, yes she succeed Dr Goldstein and my records should have just moved seamlessly as I didn’t move anywhere. But my records appear to be missing in mid 2000’s and nothing before 1990. It’s just very strange. I have requested my medical records but it’s taken over 12 months and they are not all there. I’m going to have to go back to them. I thought I’d ask for help to my facts right first. Thank you for your help.
Dr A E Caines never was at Mirfield (Mirfield Surgery was housed in Lea Village Girls School latterly called Mirfield) he originally started at 91 Lea Village with the original owner Dr Barnabas. After Barnabas died he was joined by Dr Denton and then they were joined by Dr Aston who came from the Medical Mission on Kitts Green Rd when it closed. Dr Caines was to my certain knowledge at Lea Village in the early 1950's up until he retired some time in the eighties. When the practice closed some of the new Doctors moved across to the shops in Lea Village and the other half went to Mirfield.

Dr A E Caines never was at Mirfield (Mirfield Surgery was housed in Lea Village Girls School latterly called Mirfield) he originally started at 91 Lea Village with the original owner Dr Barnabas. After Barnabas died he was joined by Dr Denton and then they were joined by Dr Aston who came from the Medical Mission on Kitts Green Rd when it closed. Dr Caines was to my certain knowledge at Lea Village in the early 1950's up until he retired some time in the eighties. When the practice closed some of the new Doctors moved across to the shops in Lea Village and the other half went to Mirfield.
Dr Caines joined the Mirfield Surgery in Lea Village for sure as my Dad followed him from the House that is now a children's nursery. But there was another Mirfield Surgery at Scholars Gate. Dr Goldstein was the Doctor that moved to that address. It’s so confusing. I was just trying get facts together so I could get to the bottom of my query with my GP. They seem to have lost my medical records and are saying I moved surgeries, which is not true.

Dr Caines joined the Mirfield Surgery in Lea Village for sure as my Dad followed him from the House that is now a children's nursery. But there was another Mirfield Surgery at Scholars Gate. Dr Goldstein was the Doctor that moved to that address. It’s so confusing. I was just trying get facts together so I could get to the bottom of my query with my GP. They seem to have lost my medical records and are saying I moved surgeries, which is not true.
Scholars Gate is the name of the road that leads to the then entrance to Lea Village / Mirfield school and the place you refer to was not named Mirfield it was always Dr Barnabus's house and Dr Caines never was at Mirfield, I have been with this practice for about seventy years and moved with them and still at present in the current address in Church Lane. There used to be a place in Erdington that overseen the local surgeries that may be able to assist you, I think it was on Sutton New Road.

Dr Barnabas was at 91 Lea Village in the 1954 phone book. The same address I posted for Dr Caines at a later date.

Mirfield Surgery Kitts Green Road seems to have opened around 2013 (planning permission granted to change shop to doctors).

Scholars Gate is the name of the road that leads to the then entrance to Lea Village / Mirfield school and the place you refer to was not named Mirfield it was always Dr Barnabus's house and Dr Caines never was at Mirfield, I have been with this practice for about seventy years and moved with them and still at present in the current address in Church Lane. There used to be a place in Erdington that overseen the local surgeries that may be able to assist you, I think it was on Sutton New Road.
I understand that the admin centre that used to be in Sutton New Road is now based in central Brum in the Wesleyan Building in Colmore Circus [email protected]. Not sure if they can help.

Back