• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Laptop not charging.

Strawberry Hunter

master brummie
HP Pavillion. It had minimal power but started up. Then it ran out of battery and shut off. Plugged in.the power cable, the red light cam on by the hole that the charger goes into. No power getting to laptop at all. Changed sockets, cleaned connectors, still nothing.

Laptop or charger?

Thanks

If the battery was no good your laptop should still be able to operate on mains power (the old Windows-7 laptop I use with my negative scanner has a nearly defunct battery but will work happily on the mains).
You may need to take it to a computer shop and ask them to test the laptop power circuit on the mother board, the battery and the charger. They should be able to determine which is causing the problem.

If you get a power light on the laptop when you plug the charger in it means the charger is connecting and is passing something to the laptop - but probably best to get all of it checked.
Is the battery and/or the charger getting hot?

Hi Kat
Best take it to a computer shop as suggested above. Unfortunately the most likely cause (assuming the charger is OK) is the socket on the laptop. These are prone to failure - I've replaced several and it's quite a tricky operation. Get a quote from the repairer if poss. The sockets only cost a couple of £ but fitting them involves removing the main board from the laptop and some intricate de-soldering and soldering.

Is the battery and/or the charger getting hot?
As in 'ouch!' rather than a bit warm. If the computer is getting hot, or bulging a bit, then take it outside and leave it there.

ask a good electrical shop to test the psu for you it will only take a few seconds.
Should be cheap or free. Best first option. ( I suspect from your description that it may be failing, and has gone a bit low voltage).

DONT buy a cheepo one off ebay PLEASE only buy a hp make most psu come from china and are NOT safe at all.
100 %. I have seen inside some of the cheapies. (Shudder).

Get a quote from the repairer if poss. The sockets only cost a couple of £ but fitting them involves removing the main board from the laptop and some intricate de-soldering and soldering.
Yes, definitely a quote. Once the cover comes off a laptop, the bill can escalate to a good percentage of a new laptop.

Think about your data recovery options if the computer itself is dying. Also think about confidential information on the disc drive if you take it to a repair shop. For your problem, it should not be necessary for them to have your computer or any other passwords.

Andrew.

Thanks for your help. My partner is bringing home some chargers tonight, I'll check those. If its the same I'll take it to get repaired. I have a suspicion that the charger plug to the laptop isn't great, I've had to mess about with it a few times, but it could be a coincidence, could still be the laptop.

Any suggestions on where to take it, I don't mind travelling into Birmingham or surrounding area if necessary.

laptop chassis sockets and power plugs

i have i have numerous laptops and electrical items with his socket on them and with different center pin sizes. even my latest bt router has one but it sure is a strange size me thinks they have done it on purpose so you have to pay exuberant price for a replacemnt off them :(
1692622674757.png

With printers of course it is the ink cartridges.

Drifting a little bit off Strawberry Hunters original issue, but still interesting :). Apparently there are some models of HP all-in-one printers that will refuse to scan if one of the ink cartridges needs replacing. Also a few manufacturers are not accepting third party cartridge refills after an 'update', where previously they did accept them.
Andrew

yup see computer help

Drifting a little bit off Strawberry Hunters original issue, but still interesting :). Apparently there are some models of HP all-in-one printers that will refuse to scan if one of the ink cartridges needs replacing. Also a few manufacturers are not accepting third party cartridge refills after an 'update', where previously they did accept them.
Andrew
HP does not track one of their own cartridges if it was not purchased off their program!

yup see computer help
Sometimes you can download a new driver free of charge from Epson. I have an Epson scanner that I used on 7 and now using 11. Works very well.

My new Dell laptop had the same problem with the charging socket.

You do wonder if the same supplier makes all of them, total pain in the proverbial...
Mostly all from China. I have a new HP conference monitor with cameras and microphone. Very good audio and video, everything says China China. Charger, cable monitor frame and glass!

Did you ever get your laptop charging problem sorted out?

My machine has just done the same, suspect battery failure and now a mains only machine.

Funny you should ask. I had the hard drive copied to a memory stick and bought a new laptop a few days ago.

Hope you get your problem sorted. I found a local computer repair shop, £20 to get the hard drive onto a stick.

Sounds like you are all sorted, i have effected a repair sort of by wrapping foil around the charging lead it fits
the socket better and completes the circuit. The battery is a lost cause i think and i may or may not replace it.

I can use the laptop as a mains only machine which suits fine and as an extra precaution have backed up everything
to an external storage device.

The unit is not even two years old and the original charging lead did not fit the socket adequately and i persuaded
the manufacturer to send me a replacement which after a few months use is not much better than the first.

It is the charging socket which is the problem and seems to be a known issue as mentioned previously on this thread.

Unfortunately i am not clever or confident enough to tackle replacing a charging socket and the costs involved using
a local repairer would be prohibitive i believe.

Anyway it works for now which is all that matters.

Decided to have a go at changing my Dell laptop charging socket, instead of wrapping a piece of tin foil around
the charging lead.

Not nearly as difficult as i thought it would be and the lead fits nice and snugly now.

It still is a mains only machine but that's fine by me.

Now working properly, all for the sake of £5.60 and an online video tutorial, well pleased with the outcome...

Back