• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J.,W. Evans & Sons - Saved from Bulldozer

sylviasayers

master brummie
Again not sure if this is the right place, but family silverware firm J.W. Evans in Albion Street, Jewellery Quarter, has been saved from the bulldozer by English Heritage and will now have a future as a working museum.

There was an item on Midlands news last night Sylvia. It looks as if they will keep everything much as it was when a workshop, with dies and stamps from going back about a hundred years.

A similar 'museum' is in Whitby where a jet factory closed down and they kept everything as it was and opened to the public. I think that the original workshop closed after jet fell out of fashion as jewellery

bob

I saw that clip Bob, apparently they never threw anything away, and they even showed a notebook with the designs made by the original Mr. Evans.
I am pleased it is being saved and will go and have look when it is open to the public.

This seems to be getting a lot of press now Sylvia and is clearly creating a lot of interest. If the preservation is done well this will be a tremendous asset to the manufacturing history of Birmingham and the Jewellery Quarter in particular.

Bob

Back