• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ison and Rowley Ancestors Birmingham - Kidderminster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Stretton

master brummie
Hoping I am not wearing out my fabulous welcome. My 3rd great grandfather Reuben Rowley is established. I have linked his profile here for reference. I know his father is William Rowley from Reuben's records. Now how to find a William Rowley (and later a Ann Hammonds). The suggested answer is b 1771 Shropshire, but I don't know how to confirm that and searches expose so many William Rowleys.
This is Reuben:-
I have also attached a tree that is speculative and fairly empty above the line of Reuben Rowley and Amos Ison. Any help will be gratefully received but please indicate if I am extending the intention of the group.

Attachments

• Ancestors of Walter Ison and Annie Rowley.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi Garry - no you are not wearing out your welcome. We are always willing to help especially someone who does some of their own research as you are obviously doing. Please - slow down a bit though. You know who all these people are and how they link. We have to read each post, take the info on board and then fit the pieces together before we can help.

So - help is there but bear with us while we get to grips with your info. It is a fascinating story so far. Enjoying reading it and helping. Thanks for posting.

I think I can help with your Ison's a little.

William was born in Arley, Warks in 1799, son of William Izon and Mary Manton possibly.

It appears that it was Mary Smith he married in 1822, not Mary Jones.

Then after Mary's death married a Sarah Cook (widow of a William Dickson) in 1829.

Possibly had 4 children with Mary and 7 with Sarah.

William possibly had 1 brother and 5 sisters all born in Arley.

MWS that is an amazing number of people you just joined. I wait with anticipation to see the details for my tree. No more questions from me for some time I would think. If all those people materialise I will have a lot of buttons to press.

You may have to list them. I may not have the access you have. Let's get started with William and Mary Smith and the second wife. You know I had Mary Smith and changed it To Mary Jones through some entry somewhere. If you have either images of sources or links that would be great.

You may have to list them. I may not have the access you have. Let's get started with William and Mary Smith and the second wife. You know I had Mary Smith and changed it To Mary Jones through some entry somewhere. If you have either images of sources or links that would be great.
There is at least one tree on Ancestry who has William married to a Mary Jones.

William's baptism in 1799 (if you want the page I can send it to Lyn to email to you.
1698845784766.png

Marriage of William to Mary Smith in 1822 by banns at Sutton Coldfield parish church. No certs in those days.
William banns 1822.JPG

Last edited:
garry sutton parish church is still there 900 years old...click on the link below then hover over our heritage to the drop down box that will give you more information..its a lovely church

lyn

We have Amos b 1823 and his baptism record is on the thread on Amos.
Erdington 1825 as a non-confrmist baptism. Address Cat hill same as
1698852134749.png

I also came across this but wonder - occupation is the ame as the other records but it is 1829. If Mary died then William married again within a few months. Nether Whitacre Church.
1698852954191.png

All those are correct so far...

William married Mary Smith (the witness Martha is probably his sister)

I think there were 3 children, not 4 as I said - as listed Amos, John (or John William) and Maria

William married Sarah Dickson, nee Cook, (the witness Susannah is another sister)

I think they had 8 children, not 7 - William Richard, Henry, Thomas, Sarah, Richard Frederick, Edwin, Emily and Eleanor

I'm fairly certain that William married for a third time to an Ann Yates in Wednesbury 1858. They are in Walsall in 1861 wrongly listed as Pson or Pyon.

William died in 1869, possibly reg. Nuneaton buried Curdworth 24 May 1869.

All those are correct so far...

William married Mary Smith (the witness Martha is probably his sister)

I think there were 3 children, not 4 as I said - as listed Amos, John (or John William) and Maria

William married Sarah Dickson, nee Cook, (the witness Susannah is another sister)

I think they had 8 children, not 7 - William Richard, Henry, Thomas, Sarah, Richard Frederick, Edwin, Emily and Eleanor
Thanks - will look for those in a minute. Just fascinated why a "tailor" would become a "victualler" and, on William Richard's marriage which I have just come across a "butcher".
Haven't found a death for Mary the first wife. Concentrating on baptisms for now.

Turning to Reuben Rowley. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that you will be able to say where his father, William was born.

When the person you're looking for dies before 1841 and they have a common name it makes things difficult. You hope that one of their children crops up on a census with a relative to give you a clue but in this instance I don't think it happens. Witnesses in marriages are another possibility.

I think Reuben has at least 1 brother and 1 sister - Levi and Patience. Strangely, Levi also marries a Hannah Warren. Patience marries a Thomas Allen.

If Reuben's mother was a Hammond then there is a Levi Hammond living in Kidderminster that may be a relative.

T
Turning to Reuben Rowley. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that you will be able to say where his father, William was born.

When the person you're looking for dies before 1841 and they have a common name it makes things difficult. You hope that one of their children crops up on a census with a relative to give you a clue but in this instance I don't think it happens. Witnesses in marriages are another possibility.

I think Reuben has at least 1 brother and 1 sister - Levi and Patience. Strangely, Levi also marries a Hannah Warren. Patience marries a Thomas Allen.

If Reuben's mother was a Hammond then there is a Levi Hammond living in Kidderminster that may be a relative.
Thank you. Yes it is difficult and confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back