• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Inkerman St Vauxhall

Sheila-p

I was born in Inkerman St Vauxhall in 1943.
Was anyone born around that area in 1943 if so
would love to hear from you.
Take Care Always Everyone.

Hello & welcome Sheila P :) Nechells Duddeston Gal :)

A few of your neighbours on this site,,Gawd help us :rolleyes:

Uurmh! best to post some of "your" Names, parents, marriages, G,parents etc
Tie them in with Inkermant Street & area, Occupations, Workplaces etc,
Others will respond better the more info you can post Ok,
Cheers & best regards JohnY :cool:

My friend Pat Sheasby and her sister Susan lived in Inkerman Street, their dad was a butcher at the co-op. I don't know if anyone remembers them.

Rita (trebor)

hello Sheila, and welcome you,re among friends,hope you find what you,re
looking for,i worked with a big irish fella lived in your st,tommy kincade,
he liked a couple thats for sure we worked in arley road saltley i was the wet behind the ears youngster he was the hardman,we got on well he thought me a lot happy days regards dereklcg.

Hi Sheila-p

I lived in Inkerman St from about 1963 after moving from Francis St. I was there untill they demolished it in about 1970. I lived in Rueben Place by the Railway Club. But I'm afraid in 1943 I wasn't even a glint in my fathers eye.

pmc1947

Postie, the photo you posted was of Inkerman Street, ASTON, which I remember well from my childhood, used to take bets to George Davies for my dad down that street.

hi postie great photo of inkerman st,
i can,t get my head round it.
i thought inkerman st, was or ran from dudderston mill road to?
i would have thought vauxall have you access to a map please?
or know a man that has.
cheers mate. regards dereklcg.

Last edited:
Sorry Folks if I confused anyone, I didn't know there was TWO Inkerman Streets,:stressed::010:

Derek and Postie, I only knew of Inkerman Street Aston until about 10 years ago. The Aston Inkerman Street ran from High Street although this stretch was always called Newtown Row - up to Alma Street.

The Vauxhall Inkerman Street was off 101 Duddeston Mill Road.

Sorry Kandor,

When I lived in Inkerman Street, most of my mates lived in Balsall Heath and Sparkbrook. The only local mates I had lived down Melvina Rd way. Most of my mates were deported to other parts of Birmingham when they remodelled the district.

pmc1947

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi my name was Pat Sheasby i lived at 160 inkerman street in the early 60s i lived with my aunt my parents lived in dollman street i went to guides with brenda waldron who had a siter sheila

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Patricia

Welcome to the site, If you lived at 160 inkerman St you must have lived in the houses to the front of me. The only Patricia I can remember was slightly older than me ( I'm 61) and she worked at the same factory as me in Inkerman St, when I worked there for a short time in about 1965

pmc1947

Back in 1936-37 we lived in the front house of a terrace at 27 Alma Crescent I was around 9 or 10yrs old. I remember there used to be a sweet shop on the corner, it was run by 2 sisters. In 1938 we went to live in Kingstanding when all the new houses were being built there.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Last edited:
i was born in inkerman st in 1965,and lived there till 1970 when we moved to acocks green with the family,some may remember my mom and dad,jean and jack hutchings,moms nickname was jeany brobat, cus dad worked for a firm delivering washin up liquid and bleach,mom always had a supply for her neighbours,we lived at 169,next to renee tunney,mom is now 75 dad 78,and still remember those days with great fondness,my brothers are paul and david,my sisters carole and linda,i can remember my pram being used to go the wharf and get the coal,our house backed on to the church in dollman st,anyone remember us?

Hi Andy

My family used to live opposite your house in Reuben Place. I can't say I remember your family, although the name Tunney rings a bell, they didn't have a daughter who would have been about 16 or 17 the year you were born did they?

Phil

I think it would be Sheila if my memory is that good, are you still in touch, if so ask her if she remembers Pip and the women only coach trip (except for the two lads who got tickets at the last moment) about 1966. There was also another girl who lived quite close to you and was around the same age. I think the name was Glynis the other name may have been Turner.

Phil

Hi Sylvia I too used to take bets to G.Davies of Inkerman street for my Dad, or was it New Street,I know at the corner of New street by the traffic lights was a shop that sold lovely ice cream they were called Herberts.

memories of inkerman street, how lovely,i lived at 145 inkerman street, from about 1960 till 1970 i meet my husband ron pickford in feb 1970 got married in dec 1970 ,we have 5 chirldren ,and 23 granchirldren just had our ruby wedding anniversary, my husband lived in cato street,cant find any thing about cato street , happy times ............................

Hi Andy.I lived in Inkerman St 1962 we lived at number 145 i remember your sister Linda.Did you live by the Jackson Family?.We lived by the Kincaid's my brother Stewart still see's Tommy (knocker).I also remember Gail Jones,Dennis Hathaway,Diane Plant she lived by the Brittian Pub.I seen her at the school reunion i went to a couple of year's ago.I went to St Annes,then onto Dudeston Manor.I have great memories of living down the old end.Do you remember the FLOYD family?

Hi Irene & Pamela

Irene I think we have spoken before on another forum, if you look at the Gosta Green through Duddeston Thread you will see many mentions of the Nechells, Vauxhall & Duddeston areas.

Phil

Hello Irene,
I used to work with Tommy Kinkaid,
be interesting to know what happened to them,
i used to take one of the little lads to a special school on occasion,
We used to work at a steel stock holders in Arley rd Saltley,we had some fun even though the big felly was as he was, he all but took me
under his wing. happy day,s regards dereklcg

Hi Dereklcg.My eldest brother Stewart goes drinking with Knocker(Tommy the son) Both Mr and Mrs Kincaid have passed away bless them both.I can see Mr Kincaid now walking down Inkerman Street when he had had a drink.Knocker looks just like his dad.That's what they were like down the old end looking after each other if only we could turn the clocks back.Take Care Irene

Thanks for that Irene,i did,nt live that far away in Cromwell st,and i also went to Loxton st school.
people used to say they were cold damp and the loke but as kids what we know,
the bombed out buildings were our play ground,be interesting if you had any old photo,s?
besr wishes and thanks Derek.

Hi, I know my mom lived in Inkerman St but not quite sure at what time in her life.,possibly around the same time in the 30's her name was Marjorie Knowles, ring any bells.
regards,long may our memories live.

Hi The name Marjorie Knowles doesn't ring any bells.Did you or any of your family go to Duddeston Manor school? As i remember a Steven Knowles.Happy memories from down the old end

My relatives lived in Inkerman Street, the Nichols family Norman, Laura, Christine and Janet. They attended St Annes school.

Back