• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holy Trinity Church Bordesley.

Jill

master brummie
Please could anyone tell me if this church is still in existence? I see in monumental inscriptions that there was Henn buried there but there is no mention of dates, or full names etc. Thanks.

I worked next door to the church for a number of years and today it is a hostel for the down and outs
inside its like a modern block of flats
I watched as the graves were removed to be reinterred somewhere else so any evidence if you want it on graves has gone now so it will only be in paper records or PC files

There has been a book wrote about the Church and the school next door but the title escapes me at the moment but I will remember it a bit later

You have jogged my memory I have the book found it hidden away its
96 years a Brummie 1889-1986 by Tom Golding

Realise this is an old Topic - but one my Grandmothers married in this church back in 1925 - are there any photo's of the church I can see (and perhaps put in my my family scrap book) anywhere at all?? I did look for pictures and didn't see any.

I pass by it nearly every day so I will get you a pic(You might have to wait a few days) but Postie should sort you one out if he comes across one

cromwell said:
You have jogged my memory I have the book found it hidden away its
96 years a Brummie 1889-1986 by Tom Golding

Thank you for this information and sorry for delay in responding.

Sorry, I thought I'd already put this on. :-\

Attachments

• Camp Hill Holy Trinity Church.JPG
    Camp Hill Holy Trinity Church.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 30
Mark Norton's web site of his father's photos from 50 years ago has the following pic. I have personal memories, not of the church, but of the vicarage, because in the late 1930s the vicar there was a Jim Hinett, who later moved on to Wylde Green, where he became a canon (no he wasn't fired). Before that he was at All Saints, Hockley, where my nan was a teacher in the Infants' School. I can distinctly remember going to the vicarage on social visits with my parents and old Nanny, and enjoying the view of the passing trams. Then in 1937 they replaced them with buses.
I hope Mark doesn't mind if I copy his dad's photo without asking.
Peter

Another super picture. How interesting to see both bus and tram in the same shot. I suppose the change over from trams to buses happened gradually. Much as I like looking at trams, can't say I miss them as I was always sick when I rode on them. :-[

I might have said before that the tram in the lst picture was literally making its last journey on 4 July 1953 from Miller Street depot across the city via Moor Street, Rea Street and Bradford Street to the old repair works at Kyotts Lake Road, just past Camp Hill, a few minutes walk from the location in the picture. That was 14 years after the Stratford Road trams were replaced by buses.
Peter

DAY OF REST .
EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK IS SABBATH FOR SOME ONE, SOME WHERE.
SUNDAY ITS THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH.MONDAY ITS THE GREEK, TUESDAY ,
FOR THE PERSIANS, WEDNESDAY FOR THE ASSYRIANS,
THURSDAY FOR THE EGYPTIANS, FRIDAY FOR THE MOHAMMEDANS AND SATURDAY FOR THE JEWS,

Astonian,
So if I take a different religion and practice these on the relevant days of week - does it mean I can retire early?? :2funny: :2funny:

Can you see me explaining that one to hubby?? I have taken up new interests?? :2funny:

Seeing this posting for Holy Trinity Church Camp Hill I wonder if this might have been where Trinity Cottage may have been or still be. My research of the Bartlett family has brought me to John Bartlett born c 1788 in Hagley but who was a hop press manufacterer in Deritend and lived in Camp Hill Bordesley census 1841 then Warwick Street Bordesley census 1851. He owned several buildings in Hockley, Hockley Bank and Key Hill which I discovered through a will and indenture, but he also owned Trinity Cottage, the home in Camp Hill and the home in Warwick Street or was it one of the same would anyone have any information since I thought it might just be coincidence that a cottage may be named after a church??????????

Fergie,If someone on the site could establish where Warwick St was on a 1850's map it might be in the Camp Hill area.
I've looked John Bartlett up on the 1851 census and his near neighbour is in Bradford St,which if I'm not mistaken is the road that the bus in the picture is just exiting.

I think they may have a map at the Central Library next time I'm in I'll take a look. Thank you for your reply.

Thank you Sylvia I can see that now in an Ato Z I have which is probably up to 10 years old, I noticed that Warwick Street Camp Hill, Upper and Lower Trinity are all close together. It makes me wonder again if that is where Trinity Cottage was and was it actually a cottage or maybe it was a terrace. I imagine that when they put the ring road in a lot of buildings may have suffered. I remember travelling two routes regularly to the city centre by either the 32 from Hall green or the 50 bus route from Kings Heath. The area has changed considerably.

I have just tried the www.birmingham.gov.uk website they have maps of Birmingham Parish 1847 and others too it shows the area fairly clearly I think I may have to go have a look myself one day.

Thank you John, I have a feeling that it might be something like that.  When you see terraced houses they sometimes have a plaque referring to them as cottages on the brickwork?

Back