• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henrys

maggieanne

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember Henrys, a shop that was around in the '60s. It was where W.H.Smiths is now. Did anyone on the forum work there? Would love to know more.

Some information about the store .... :)
On a rainy day in 1938 they are crossing High Street. Henrys shop behind them was on the corner of Martineau Street. Luftwaffe bombs demolished Henrys in WW2 and they traded from a temporary store built on the site. Henrys moved to a permanent building on the corner of Union Street c1957 and the temporary store was demolished in 1958.
index.php

Martineau Street does not exist now but the old Henrys shop would be approximately where the Deichmann shop is in this image.
index.php

might help

A photo of Henrys in Union Street in the post below
Two photos here one of Henry's store in the corner of Martineau St and High St and the other later store next to the tax offices in Union Street. I think there was another store on the High Street before the one in the photo, but it might have been in a slightly different location.
index.php

Recently I came across a site where people were talking about the shops that had gone but were still missed. Henrys was one that came up but also someone mentioned Neatawear! It rings a bell but does anyone remember it and have I got the name right?

Several ads for them in the 1960s in the Bham Daily Post - Neatawear, Corporation St.

Looks like they had debts of nearly half a million pounds in 1969.

That was quick, and that's a very big debt for that time. Isn't it strange how we forget some things. I do believe I bought a dress from there, I still remember it! Loved that dress.

I bought the occasional item of clothing from Henry's, mostly tee shirts.

I also used to seek out ex juke box records which they also used to sell.

i dont know why but i have always thought that henys had been going for longer than 36 years....

lyn

The old Henry's Store was on the High St opposite the News Theatre. It is shown here being demolished in 1958 after the opening of the new store in Union Street.

index.php

City High St Henry's Demolition 1958.

Back